• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Would you rather...?

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Looks like FT and DESW are your two most economical options (and Simpsons DE), but the first two are solid games. I especially like FT. It's very approachable and not a game you'll tire of easily.

Further up the list I'd be looking for IM or NGG. Both good games and also not stupid money like some of the others.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Looking quickly at your list, and all but 2 of them are "A" list games and I'm sure you know what that means... I hear what you're saying about DMD games, but don't sell the non-DMD stuff short, as there are a LOT of fun games out there pre-DMD that are great value. Looking at my collection I've got more non-DMD games than DMD, and each one has something to offer or they wouldn't still be in my collection. (Orbitor1 being the exception LOL)

D

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
DRANO said:
I'm a bit worried that there are no pics of the (likely faded) cabinet, and the price is top end for this title, but here's one in Montreal.

http://montreal.fr.craigslist.ca/ele/3822075801.html
Was watching that one actually. MAACA is having a bit of a run on the lack of pics and the non-response of PM's. He said he needs the money, so either he's really hurting and cant respond, or something else is up.

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
I'm new to the hobby. Got my first game over a year ago and I'm balling on a shoe string budget. Right now I'm at four and my thoughts are that when I get bored of two games, they'll both be traded up for one better game or sold and $ goes into the next game. It will take me some time to get to my choice games but I'll get there and ill get some history in the process.

Tee'd off is one of the three on my "want list", it has great nostalgia for me and its fun for a beginner. My plan is for fish tales and whitewater sooner or later.

newguy

Nov 14, 2012
Barrie ON
I really only have room for a few machines... probably a good thing lol. I found in the past when I had the games that were on my 'long list', but not as high up there, had no plays after I finally got ones I really enjoy playing. I would pick the cheapest one one your short list personally. It might be hard seeing others that you would consider for sale for fair prices, but in the long run it might just be worth the wait.

That's just my opinion

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
This is a crazy hobby.... MANY of us here have spent far more money, bought far more machines, in far quicker succession, than any of us would have dreamed when we started.

It was hard for me to buy the 1st, a lot of humming and hawing about it.... but when that damn broke it was all over. 5 in 5 months (+ 2 pre-orders). I've managed to hold firm on a buying freeze for the last 2 months, but part of that is I've run out of space, and the other part is I'm buying a bigger house (for more pinball - not shitting you). I got pre-approved for the mortgage this week, so there will be a buying binge coming up.

But you only live once! :)

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Buy what you want, when you want and if you want! (and can afford it) Great hobby!

Maybe I will tell a story here about my first year or so in pinball here one day soon.

Heh, heh, if you are bitten, you have the bug, well then you are in for it, buy them!

Hold on, because it is a ride that won't ever end if you are lucky enough.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Williams Fan said:
meegis said:
Ok, so here's the question that gets me thinking EVERY time I contemplate looking for my 2nd machine.

Do I go and get a B-List game for 1k-2k total

Sorry to tell you this but B list titles are not in that price range only C!

meegis, once again, WilliamsFan is bang on regarding prices.
This IS valuable information to store away.

Congrats to Chris! (Frolic) Good luck on the new home purchase.
Far more intelligent and controlled approach to pinball than some of us.

To the new guys, Williams Fan, Vengeance and myself buy all kinds of pins all the time. (for many different reasons) We deal in volume.
Responses from Mike Wong, Menace and Frolic (are much more controlled and selective in what they purchase) Concise, precise.

These guys are all friends, and all great resources for information when buying pins. None of us mind answering questions, and feel free to
PM people for sensitive questions on pricing and games. You will get a straight honest answer from most of the vets here, even though we
each have some differing opinions.

As for this hobby, safest hobby to get your money back out of (if you don't overpay) for pinball machines.

Good luck in the hunt. Follow the silver ball.
Cheers.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Here are some prices for your wish list meegis :)

Cirqus Voltaire $6000-7000
Family Guy $4500-$4800
The Simpsons (DE) $1400-1500
TSPP $4500-5000
FishTales - $2200-3000
Tron $5500-6000
AC/DC Pro $4500-4800
Iron Man $4500-5000
TOTAN $6500-8000
D.E. Star Wars $2000-2500
Indiana Jones (Williams) $5000-6500
Indiana Jones (Stern) $3500-3800
No Good Go'fers $3000-3500
Scared Stiff $4000-4500
Transformers Pro $4000-4500
X-Men $4500-4800

I know of the following for sale right now:

Cirqus Voltaire $6000
- the cab is decent but some inserts are ghosting on the playfield

Tron Pro $6000
- home use only, some mods such as EL wire on the ramps, shaker, hallmark cycles

Star Wars $2600
- good friend is selling this and said the machine is very nice with the exception of the launch ball handle, i can put you in touch if you are interested and machine is located in Windsor

Transformers Pro or Xmen Pro I would talk to Brock and see if there is a floor model or off route one available.

Monkeybug

Nov 14, 2012
Stouffville, ON
Buy something today and enjoy it.

If you don't enjoy it tomorrow, sell it and move on.

If you do enjoy it tomorrow, keep it and look for another game.

More than a decade in this hobby, my tastes still change. I think if you truly love pinball, you won't just be happy with A-list titles only.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Monkeybug said:
Buy something today and enjoy it.

If you don't enjoy it tomorrow, sell it and move on.

If you do enjoy it tomorrow, keep it and look for another game.

More than a decade in this hobby, my tastes still change. I think if you truly love pinball, you won't just be happy with A-list titles only.

Here here, and this comes from the original "enticer" who has inspired and quietly instructed many of us along here.

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
I appreciate all the advice guys. And the pricing list Mike.

Monkeybug, your answer is bang on. Ive had machines in my home (and familys homes) since the late 80s. Tastes do change, and A-listers are not my only option.

Appreciate all the feedback in this thread, even williams fan who i took a jab at.

g-man

Nov 19, 2012
Brampton / Caledon
meegis said:

Monkeybug, your answer is bang on. Ive had machines in my home (and familys homes) since the late 80s. Tastes do change, and A-listers are not my only option.

Appreciate all the feedback in this thread, even williams fan who i took a jab at.

Okay, I'm officially confused, meegis. You are apparently looking for your second machine yet you state that you have had machines in your home since the late 80's, which means you've been exposed to pinball machines for almost 20 years longer than me. So, why don't you know more about which games are good / bad / good value ?

I'm just busting your balls a little, but part of me also wants an answer. :cool:

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
g-man said:
meegis said:

Okay, I'm officially confused, meegis. You are apparently looking for your second machine yet you state that you have had machines in your home since the late 80's, which means you've been exposed to pinball machines for almost 20 years longer than me. So, why don't you know more about which games are good / bad / good value ?

I'm just busting your balls a little, but part of me also wants an answer. :cool:

Well, its an easy explanation, and trust me, my balls are made of steel. (pinball pun)

My father has owned machines in home since I was a little kid. Hence, since the 80s. His collection has rotated over time, but never crazy fast, so games we have owned in home that I have a lot of play on include: Sinbad, Close Encounters, Amazing Spiderman, Pinbot, DE Star Wars, Twilight Zone (still owned), Demolition Man (still owned), South Park (still owned), Pirates of the Carribean (still owned), as well as KISS and Comet at my best friends house when I was a child.

I also spent a lot of time at arcades, bowling alleys and Video Invasion (for those of you who remember that place). I also worked at Colossus for a short time in high school, so got to see the Stern stuff move in and out.

So, how am I on my 2nd machine you ask. Well, I moved out of my parents home just over a year ago, got married 6 weeks ago and was able to buy R&B a few months ago with the newfound (and agreed to) basement space. I call it "MY" first machine, because I consider all the others my fathers. While they were in my home, I was living in his house.

Knowing values was never my issue, it was just a question of expenditure and if I would rather make a large purchase and have an A-lister, or a lighter purchase on a B/C game. Considering my current life position (which is of small budget) I was curious to see how others handle their decision making.

I am a HORRIBLE decision maker.

Make sense now?

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
meegis said:
So far you have two posts in here and both have not been of much assistance.
Ive heard third time's a charm though, so good luck!

32559382.jpg

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
meegis said:
His collection has rotated over time, but never crazy fast, so games we have owned in home that I have a lot of play on include: Sinbad, Close Encounters, Amazing Spiderman, Pinbot, DE Star Wars, Twilight Zone (still owned), Demolition Man (still owned), South Park (still owned), Pirates of the Carribean (still owned), as well as KISS and Comet at my best friends house when I was a child.

I think you should get your dad all excited on a new game and then cherry pick or lowball from his line up

"Hey Dad, the Mr. Pinball price guide says a Demolition Man is only worth $1200 but since the top handles need to be re-chromed I will give you $1000 cash. Oh and don't forget to mention to Mom I am coming over for dinner when I pick up the game ok?" :D