• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

TIP Who to avoid ! !

KING BLING !

May 12, 2020
Ottawa
Might be a silly question but I have encountered MANY people who say do not deal with this fella or that......would it be hard to do a STAr ......PLUS or minus......by that a mean a STANDARD wherein no comment but a simplistic STAR system could be employed be it a liar, cheat, great fella, moderate fella etc.........I'd HAPPILY donate towards a PLUS/MINUS scale...N E one else agree ??? For a NEWBIE they can get f@cked swiftly is why I posted this . I guess if u posted up or down have it OPEn so anyone can "reach out" and ask why they posted a bad star or a super star? TRULY there needs to be some guidance....stopped 4-5 buddies in a 6 month window from be f@cked & not in a good way. Food for thought. Sorry long winded but its the only way....

KING BLING !

May 12, 2020
Ottawa
For the most part it has been reasonable buying and selling titles but there are a great deal that are soooooo bad I think it is indeed justified/required to do a star system so newbies do not get discouraged to put it mildly. Anyone I have bought or sold to has about a 60/40 SPLIT which is disgraceful in any other market. It is ALWAYS the same guys name mentioned time and time again over the past 20+ yrs since I have been in the hobby. STUNNED some have not spoken up on this but I totally understand it kind of like high school. If your ears are burning you know who you are.

Last edited:

Paul

Feb 21, 2013
NewBrunswick
For the most part it has been reasonable buying and selling titles but there are a great deal that are soooooo bad I think it is indeed justified/required to do a star system so newbies do not get discouraged to put it mildly. Anyone I have bought or sold to has about a 60/40 SPLIT which is disgraceful in any other market. It is ALWAYS the same guys name mentioned time and time again over the past 20+ yrs since I have been in the hobby. STUNNED some have not spoken up on this but I totally understand it kind of like high school. If your ears are burning you know who you are.
You have bad luck if its a 60/40 split i think. As far as newbie all they have to do is ask for references or look on the site to see someones reputation. You should post the guys name if its the same guy over and over.

KING BLING !

May 12, 2020
Ottawa
You have bad luck if its a 60/40 split i think. As far as newbie all they have to do is ask for references or look on the site to see someones reputation. You should post the guys name if its the same guy over and over.
Again I am speaking with 20+ yrs, which I realize is narrow to some. That being said I cannot fathom it being SUPER each time. More often then not someone loses. When i say 60/40 it is from BOTH buyer/seller/trader whom I have recently dealt with speaking to these %. Luckily I have learned. That being said bought a MAME which has been a HUGE PITA> People feeling they were cheated on a pinball is not uncommon at all. According to almost half the people I have spoken with in person that is.

roar

Oct 22, 2015
Waterdown
Based on what you've described I just see a world where it will devolve into a petty retaliatory system, you give a guy a low rating he gives one back and then arguments ensue and we are no further ahead. Now we are left with moderators having to clean up after it? I don't think they've signed up for that. What happens when a deal goes south with a "5 star" seller? Do you hold PBRev accountable? I agree with Paul if you you've had 40% of your purchases be bad ones, one of two things is going on, you are super unlucky, or your standards of good vs bad are entirely different than mine.

I have bought games with success from someone I am certain most would describe as the devil incarnate, cash on the glass, only way to buy a game, literally, the only way to not be disappointed in a purchase is to go see the game. If you choose another route you are exponentially increasing your risk as a buyer and you have to take some accountability for that.

It sucks to get burnt but if you don't have the patience to wait for a game to show up locally for you or you don't want to do that 8 or whatever hour round trip to go see a game, no star system is going to save you.

As far as a MAME purchase goes? My goodness, a MAME machine is nothing but a PIA in general. No such thing as a plug and play, works 100% of the time 100% of the time MAME machine, prepare to roll up your sleeves and figure it out.

roar

Oct 22, 2015
Waterdown
The only "Black List" of people to not buy from that I know of is on mrpinball.com

This is very different than a Star rating imo. Other than that it is the due diligence route if you're buying sight unseen, ask for references, ask a friend to go look at the game, cross your fingers and hope for the best.

KING BLING !

May 12, 2020
Ottawa
Based on what you've described I just see a world where it will devolve into a petty retaliatory system, you give a guy a low rating he gives one back and then arguments ensue and we are no further ahead. Now we are left with moderators having to clean up after it? I don't think they've signed up for that. What happens when a deal goes south with a "5 star" seller? Do you hold PBRev accountable? I agree with Paul if you you've had 40% of your purchases be bad ones, one of two things is going on, you are super unlucky, or your standards of good vs bad are entirely different than mine.

I have bought games with success from someone I am certain most would describe as the devil incarnate, cash on the glass, only way to buy a game, literally, the only way to not be disappointed in a purchase is to go see the game. If you choose another route you are exponentially increasing your risk as a buyer and you have to take some accountability for that.

It sucks to get burnt but if you don't have the patience to wait for a game to show up locally for you or you don't want to do that 8 or whatever hour round trip to go see a game, no star system is going to save you.

As far as a MAME purchase goes? My goodness, a MAME machine is nothing but a PIA in general. No such thing as a plug and play, works 100% of the time 100% of the time MAME machine, prepare to roll up your sleeves and figure it out.
I do not envision a "World" I envision common sense. There must be with todays tech that one can leave a 1-5 star ratings without it being a free for all. Kijiji can employ this so it cannot be that absurd to undertake. NOPE I do not personally hold Pinball Rev accountable...why would would ask such a silly question ?? Again to repeat myself "real slow" I did not say I found 40% of my experience poor in the pinball hobby. Just repeating what has been said to me. YUP MAME are indeed famous for being a PITA. Super you have not gotten burnt that is indeed rare. MANY others feel the same as I do and I understand WHY they do not chime in. I hope this hobby flourishes down the road but it cannot with the current state of affairs.

Last edited:

roar

Oct 22, 2015
Waterdown
Well envisioning common sense is your first mistake! This is the internet! :) I'd ask such a silly question cause I legit don't subscribe to the value a star rating would bring this site. Maybe it's my cynical nature. If I can't touch it myself, I'm not buying it regardless of how many stars you have and if you have 0 stars I'll still buy it if my inspection tells me it is a good deal.

Honestly though, if it is easy to implement and people care, sure why not implement it? If seeing 4/5 stars makes you more confident with your purchase then super, have at it.

Reactions: KING BLING !

KING BLING !

May 12, 2020
Ottawa
Well envisioning common sense is your first mistake! This is the internet! :) I'd ask such a silly question cause I legit don't subscribe to the value a star rating would bring this site. Maybe it's my cynical nature. If I can't touch it myself, I'm not buying it regardless of how many stars you have and if you have 0 stars I'll still buy it if my inspection tells me it is a good deal.

Honestly though, if it is easy to implement and people care, sure why not implement it? If seeing 4/5 stars makes you more confident with your purchase then super, have at it.
God Bless I cannot argue this further and regret having started this thread, CHEers !!

Reactions: Paul

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
I can't say I have any any problems with anyone I have dealt with from here.
Sure, Ed tried to ding some $ off when he got here and Dave is a bit pricey (but always a solid machine).
Brett for board repair has always been stellar.
All in all, positive.
Never hear an griping at events, unless it's NiB prices....

BenGo

Aug 10, 2019
Ottawa
I haven't read this whole thread (btw thank you kingpin, you were good to deal with as well), but the problem with a list is sometimes the "source" is the problem, and also ppl can use these things in almost blackmail esque situations (agree to this or else)... There has to be some checks and balances... I don't know the proper solution, yes a rating system would maybe work if implemented like eBay where it is a "legitimate" sale you can leave a rating... I could see problems with any system though... But I suppose having no system is not the answer either ;)

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I've been in this hobby and community since 2010 and provided many references for both buyers and sellers in order to help facilitate a smooth transaction. I don't like to name names on a public forum for bad apples but would gladly answer any questions anyone has about any particular individual via private message as long as you keep it between us. I also wouldn't hesitate commenting on reputable seller's for sale ad by putting in a good word like deal with confidence or solid person to deal with.

Pin_Fandango

Dec 29, 2020
Ottawa
Hardly ever people will send a good review on anything. Alternatively, in this hobby you'll get people dissing others at public/private events and it is often times people who they have never dealt with, just repeating what someone else said or judging and dissecting them by what they express in writing on a forum.

I have bought and sold a good amount of machines in the last few years, all of the buyers still talk to me and I have made friends along the way and I take pride in being respectful in all my transactions, yet, I have almost no reviews but I can refer any buyers to any of my past buyers.

I review system would be very welcomed imho as part of the BUY and SELL process ONLY WHEN there is a deal in place, and a much better approach than a 'word of mouth' system, especially when the word of mouth could be coming from someone external to a transaction. A 3rd party opinion, could be flawed or biased.

Getting a review from a 3rd party just does a disservice to the buyer and to the community in general as it only promotes a specific group that could be motivated by a financial gain or deal.

Saltimbanco

May 24, 2020
National Capital Region
Hardly ever people will send a good review on anything. Alternatively, in this hobby you'll get people dissing others at public/private events and it is often times people who they have never dealt with, just repeating what someone else said or judging and dissecting them by what they express in writing on a forum.

I have bought and sold a good amount of machines in the last few years, all of the buyers still talk to me and I have made friends along the way and I take pride in being respectful in all my transactions, yet, I have almost no reviews but I can refer any buyers to any of my past buyers.

I review system would be very welcomed imho as part of the BUY and SELL process ONLY WHEN there is a deal in place, and a much better approach than a 'word of mouth' system, especially when the word of mouth could be coming from someone external to a transaction. A 3rd party opinion, could be flawed or biased.

Getting a review from a 3rd party just does a disservice to the buyer and to the community in general as it only promotes a specific group that could be motivated by a financial gain or deal.
I can also vouch for Pin_Fandango! :)