• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

What's your favorite drop target game?

CJBob

Nov 24, 2014
Mississauga
I spent 2.5 hours at the church last night including 2 hours straight playing Volley. 15 drop targets and you have to get them all down before they reset. Most times I got 14 and just couldn't get the last one. Finally I had a great game and was able to walk away. To Count-down. More drop targets. More pinball joy.

What are your favorite pins with drop targets?

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Seems the best ones are already listed.
In order of preference for me:

Countdown
Joker Poker
El Dorado
Volley

Countdown is such a great game because, not only does completing one of the 4 banks of drops make them come back for 10x their original value, but it also awards you progressively higher bonus multipliers. The catch is, you have to collect them in sequence. So green targets first for 2x, yellow for 3x, red for 4x and finally blue for 5x.
Now, you can complete them out of order too, but you won't get the associated multiplier until the previous colours have been completed.
Add to that an collect bonus Countdown feature at the saucer and the ability to earn extra balls at the upper side lanes and you've got a killer early SS.

Joker Poker is in the same league with a progressively harder 5x multiplier prize attached to each target pairing. A single 10 at first, then a pair of Jack's on ball 2 and eventually up to 4 aces+joker on ball 5. Each bank offers a base bonus value that can be multiplied by 5x if you collect the correct set for the current ball in play.
The game also has a great extra ball objective view rollovers or Aces.

Both are great options.

The only other game that comes to mind for drops is Cactus Canyon.
Only 4 in the whole game but they offer an integral theme component for sharp shooting. Great fun!

goomba

Aug 30, 2013
GTA
I don't have that much experience with drop target games, but I love Jacks Open. I play it constantly, and everyone else that comes over ignores my other games now. It always seems so beatable, and the gameplay reminds me of fighting the Monger in IM. You're always fighting to get control of the ball, and then trying to hit the target at just the right angle so it doesn't drain, especially the damned Red Queen. The holes in the ball guide make it so you can't get control just by holding the flipper up (dead bounces and drop catches are required). I love when you complete a hand and the ball is coming back at the flipper - you know the targets are going to reset and you're anticipating the next best target you need to hit on the fly, but you don't want to hit it back right away. It's an EM and it won't register the points if you immediately launch it back at the bank (I'm greedy). Or worse, the resetting targets will send the ball screaming back if the timing is really unlucky. So you let the ball bounce off your flipper, wait for the bank to reset and track the ball while changing your mind about which card in the next hand you'll aim for on the fly.

From Drano's list, I'd love to try a Countdown, Joker Poker, and Volley. They look as if they'll be right up my alley. I've tried El Dorado City of Gold and the targets are too far away. The wait for the ball to get back to the flippers is too long. It doesn't have that sense of concentrated gameplay these others might have, but I'm prepared to change my mind on that given more time on that machine. Everyone seems to love it.

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
For me it is in-line drop targets. Risky (SDTM) but rewarding.
In games such as Fathom, Flash Gordon, Paragon, Eight Ball Deluxe, etc.

Cheers,
- Sylvain.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
For me it is in-line drop targets. Risky (SDTM) but rewarding.
In games such as Fathom, Flash Gordon, Paragon, Eight Ball Deluxe, etc.

Cheers,
- Sylvain.

Don't forget Special Force! :)
Although, they are not very dangerous... similar to centaur

hurricane

Nov 15, 2012
Quinte West, Ontario
Overall I think Gottlieb did it best from EM to SS, but each manufacturer did have some beauties.
For sh*ts & grins, I'll throw in 9 Ball, Sinbad and Meteor. I was going to include Catacomb, but trying to complete the darn toast constantly gets the better of me so I'll be petty and leave it off the list. Love the game tho'.