• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

What to buy - one newer machine vs. a couple older ones?

Tansit

Dec 8, 2023
Ottawa
Hey all, sorry if this has been asked already! I’ve always only had one pin at a time for budgetary reasons, but I’m now in a position to make a choice for my next purchase.

What would the pinball hive-mind recommend: Should I drop the cash on one really nice newer machine with its deep rules and fancy trinkets? Or buy two or three older SS machines for the same money and have more variety?

Reactions: Goldfinger88

MrMikeman

Nov 25, 2019
Ottawa
What do YOU like? That’s the real question here.

If you like just flipping for the fun of it then a few SS games could satisfy your need. Maybe even a system 11 like Pinbot or High Speed which have tasks to do (like run the red light) other than just scoring points.

If you prefer playing an adventure under the glass then perhaps a newer Spike 2 game might be a better choice. Most used Pros go around 7-8k.

You should go play some different styles at the Ottawa Pinball Arcade or Targ.

In the end having 1 machine you really enjoy is probably better than having 3 you don’t really connect with. Quality vs quantity.

Reactions: Ponzie

Tansit

Dec 8, 2023
Ottawa
Those are some great points. I’m not a great player but I love playing - which is actually a bonus, since replay value is higher if I can’t easily “beat” a machine. When I do play I tend to spend a long time at it. That has me leaning towards a newer machine - there’s actually one listed here that I’ve been in contact about and am seriously considering (90’s dmd). A spike 2 pro would be something else to consider if that doesn’t work out.

I’ve only ever had a single machine in the house at a time, but I always ended up getting SS machines that are on the rarer side (Cosmic Gunfight at the moment). They’re great to have, but I get pretty bored with playing them after a while.

MrMikeman

Nov 25, 2019
Ottawa
Those are some great points. I’m not a great player but I love playing - which is actually a bonus, since replay value is higher if I can’t easily “beat” a machine. When I do play I tend to spend a long time at it. That has me leaning towards a newer machine - there’s actually one listed here that I’ve been in contact about and am seriously considering (90’s dmd). A spike 2 pro would be something else to consider if that doesn’t work out.

I’ve only ever had a single machine in the house at a time, but I always ended up getting SS machines that are on the rarer side (Cosmic Gunfight at the moment). They’re great to have, but I get pretty bored with playing them after a while.
You’re local. If you want to come try any of mine just let me know. None are for sale though lol.

Reactions: Tansit

Joker19

Aug 1, 2021
Gatineau
Also local, I have 3 newer machines, let me know if you want to swing by.

Also, which machine do you have right now?

Tansit

Dec 8, 2023
Ottawa
Thanks for the offers to check out your machines, that’s very generous! I’ll have to take you up on that at some point, I’ve played one or two recent machines but never put in more than a couple games.

I have a cosmic gunfight at the moment, I’ve had it for a few years. It’s now sold pending pickup, hence the hunt for a new machine.

Ponzie

Oct 3, 2017
Ottawa
What games are you considering?
I'm also local and have some more modern machines you're welcome to try out if you are in the area.

Tansit

Dec 8, 2023
Ottawa
What games are you considering?
I'm also local and have some more modern machines you're welcome to try out if you are in the area.
Thanks! As for games I’m not 100% sure yet. I’m looking to stay under 9k though, under 8k would be even better.

Chambahz

Dec 15, 2012
East York, Toronto
If your total pinball budget is 8-9k, I would suggest finding a decent deal on a Stern Pro model, playing it until you’ve sucked all the fun out of it that you can, and then trading it for another Pro, or possibly adding a small amount of cash and trading up again. With the current budget, you’re entering the “new/newish” pinball territory which I expect will be more fun, overall.
The key will be to ensure that you don’t overpay for someone else’s used Pro.
There are lots of good deals for buyers currently but you may have to be patient to get a game you really want.

thewebexpert

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Almonte, Ontario
Since you are in Ottawa, we do have two very large pinball arcades ... The Ottawa pinball arcade on baseline and pinecrest, they have a really nice selection, I go there due because they are closer... and House of Targ on bank??? . . they both have new and older games.. Right now I LOVE 007 and Godzilla, cannot afford to buy either, but they are so fun ...

At least pinball prices are going down, but 8-9k for a Stern Pro is going to be hard to find, keep your eyes open!

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
It depends on if you want to do all your own repairs.
I went new, played it for almost a year, took it back with my list of issues and had them all fixed free under warranty.
Plus, parts are available.
Nothing wrong with 2-3 SS+ if you can handle the downtime when it happens.
I have always been a sucker for Alien Poker.
Just realize one will be the dog of your collection all the time.
Even when I had Nascar, Checkpoint and High Speed. HS became the dog once I had mastered all the shots.

Tansit

Dec 8, 2023
Ottawa
It depends on if you want to do all your own repairs.
I went new, played it for almost a year, took it back with my list of issues and had them all fixed free under warranty.
Plus, parts are available.
Nothing wrong with 2-3 SS+ if you can handle the downtime when it happens.
I have always been a sucker for Alien Poker.
Just realize one will be the dog of your collection all the time.
Even when I had Nascar, Checkpoint and High Speed. HS became the dog once I had mastered all the shots.
I don’t mind making repairs at all, it’s part of the hobby that I actually enjoy. I’m pretty handy with an iron, I did a complete overhaul of the boards in my current machine. I absolutely love the solid state/sys11 era games, and they’re the best for quick sessions when you only have a few minutes to play.

At this point though I think I’ve decided to get a Stern pro - it isn’t often (or ever) that I have enough free cash to get a machine in this price bracket, and moving forward it would be easier to raise the funds to add older machines to the collection. I’m currently thinking of a GZ or JP, something like that.

Anyone have one they were thinking of selling ;) ?

Reactions: Chambahz

Tansit

Dec 8, 2023
Ottawa
There is a Deadpool Pro and GZ Pro for sale right now in the for sale section.

I have dealt with Lva39 (https://www.pinballrevolution.com/threads/godzilla-pro.13447/) and he keeps his games super clean and great to deal with.

Since you are in Ottawa, the Deadpool Pro is closer, but above 9k.
I have actually pm’d Lva39, since I’ll be in that area this weekend - I’m really hoping that deal works out. Glad to hear a good reference for him!

That Deadpool looks gorgeous as well, the only problem is that I have young kids and I need to make sure that whatever I get is family friendly more or less. I’m a horror movie fan so I also like the Halloween that’s listed, but even just the Michael Myers graphic on the PF would probably give my kiddos nightmares.

Joker19

Aug 1, 2021
Gatineau
Nice. Should work out nicely!

Deadpool is not too bad, not sure there are any crazy references.. Depending on the age of your kids.
I have a young daughter (2.5), own Elvira House of Horrrors, Willy Wonka and Stranger Things.... Really thinking on Chainsaw Massacre now, all about ensuring the kiddos are well informed and educated about this being movies and not real.

Tansit

Dec 8, 2023
Ottawa
Nice. Should work out nicely!

Deadpool is not too bad, not sure there are any crazy references.. Depending on the age of your kids.
I have a young daughter (2.5), own Elvira House of Horrrors, Willy Wonka and Stranger Things.... Really thinking on Chainsaw Massacre now, all about ensuring the kiddos are well informed and educated about this being movies and not real.
My kids are 9 and 6, and we don’t shelter them from a lot of things. We go the same route as you instead, and let them experience the world as it is but make sure that we communicate with them and check in on how they feel about things.

It might just be the age and the fact that they feed off of each other’s emotions, but they’re both going through a period right now where they can’t handle anything remotely spooky. Things that they had no problem with previously and aren’t even scared of at first can set them off later, usually when it pops into their heads at bedtime. They’ve even gotten scared by paper crafts that they themselves had made earlier in the day.

The things that set them off are oddly specific, and some scary things don’t phase them at all (like fantasy monsters, hence Godzilla). so for now unfortunately I need to be super careful of what I bring into the house.