• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Vid Noob v. Marvel Vs Capcom & Killer Instinct

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
Am I even a noob? I know literally NOTHING about video cabinets. (aside from how to play them)

I am curious about reliving some of my childhood love affairs with the stick (pun ;) )

Anyway, I was always a fan of fighting games, and have had a small curiosity of cost and recreation. The two games I would love to have (as titled) are: Marvel Vs Capcom and Killer Instinct.

I don't know if the buttons are interchangeable (layout, number of buttons) or if this is something more complicated. Like I said, I am TOTALLY new to this. How might one go about sourcing one locally, or building one?

And also, how are these things going in and out of a basement? I have a tight squeeze with regular pinballs as it is.

Any and all advice will be gladly read.

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Go check this one out. http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell ... Z569709993. Make sure the monitor is working good. Good working monitors can be had for $150ish if the monitor is garbage. Pull the game board out, sell it for a couple bucks then put in a multiboard or a mame board, easy peasy :p

Check out byoac forums for converting it to a mame cabinet. Pretty simple though. Install a computer, use a keyboard encoder of some sort to connect the buttons to the computer (ipac or jpac from ultimarc), then use a video card (either arcage vga or a video card that is compatible with a program called soft15khz) and a vga breakout cable to connect to the monitor. Pick up a small 2 channel speaker amplifier ($10ish) to connect the computer to the cabinet speakers. I'm sure someone would give you a copy of a front end such as hyperspin that has the themes of all the different games and emulators if you ask around. It's free but its a pain to setup so people have bought/ sold/traded hard drives with it already setup.

Alternatively if you are looking for a couple of dedicated cabinets your best bet is probably kijiji or the cgcc forums. Both those games around here fully working would probably be $500ish? give or take a couple hundred for condition probably.

Vids are substantially harder to move than pins but are wayyy easier to maintain. They will be a pain getting up and down stairs. If you get comfortable working with them most are fairly easy to take the monitor out of and that will help lighten the load for the stairs but I wouldn't recommend it off the bat because they carry high voltage and if you crack the tube they are garbage. That particular cabinet, along with most others that have very wide control panels, can easily remove the control panel with a couple of bolts.

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
Re: Vid Noob v. Marvel Vs Capcom

Interesting. Will be reading up a lot more on it.

One big hot button really is the basement capability. I will def. have to do some homework and math.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON

For the price and space, I'd just build or source a decent MAME. Most of the fighting games on there work really well, and then you can design the panels to be exactly what you want. Other plus is that if you build your own, you can make it modular so it's much easier to move.

thewebexpert

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Almonte, Ontario
Oh, and if you have lots of free money to blow, there is someone on this forum selling kits to build your own.... I prefer to find a cab and redo it, mainly because I am too cheap .... :)

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford

eh97ac said:
http://www.multicade.ca/
Hamilton guy who is a great resource and keeps his customers happy
Lots of people will let you know he is legit

I'll second that. I've got stuff through him a few times and he's good

thewebexpert

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Almonte, Ontario
I did a LOT of price comparing and for the regular stuff his price was amazing and he was very helpful ... If I had to do it again, I would probably start with him, I had great dealings with a company in the UK, however shipping was quite expensive, and there is a really really good company in Hawaii but again, shipping kills the deal unless you have a post office box in the states ....