• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

The Pinball Diaries (what did you do today?)

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I've been spending WAAAAY too much time on a clients basket case Star Trek. Game is now at least playable (rebuilt power supply, modded driver board, re-pinned J4 on the MPU, replaced bad resistor on the MPU, replaced ALL rubber on the PF, replaced all bad bulbs, cleaned plastics, rebuilt left flipper mech) but the sound board has never worked, and troubleshooting these with a DMM is not possible so I busted out my scope...

U11 has the correct signal going into the IC but zilch coming out either outputs. (you can see the input signal in the pic) I'll get a replacement this week and hopefully button this up for the customer by the weekend. (and I'll be glad to see it go)

D

Attachments

• IMG_00000731.jpg
    IMG_00000731.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 662

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Just out of curiosity is that something that could also be checked with a logic probe? I have a crappy one that just has an led for a strobe but that's it.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
brad808 said:
Just out of curiosity is that something that could also be checked with a logic probe? I have a crappy one that just has an led for a strobe but that's it.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Most of the board could be checked with a logic probe, but you don't get to see what the waveform is actually doing with one. So you could see if things were pulsing, but you'd have no idea on the timing or if the wave forms were at the correct voltages, and some of the waveforms I'm looking for would not be possible with a logic probe. (the joy of sound boards)

For pinball repairs that require more than a DMM, a logic probe covers most of them but I've never bothered to buy a logic probe as I've had my scope... although I should probably pick one up as it's much easier to lug around on service calls than my scope!

D

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
I can't say enough about the quality of Mike Chesnut's work.
Those chrome handles on DM of Wong's were brought back
by Drano and I when we met up with Mike Chesnut @ Expo.

I am sure Drano and I will both post some great photos in the
coming weeks of all the work we had done for several pins.

Thanks to Drano for arranging this work to be done by Mike
all ahead of time and ready for pickup @ Expo.

Thanks to Mike Chesnut for all the hard work.

I can't wait to start assembling.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I am trying to put together a job with a local plating place near my work called Four Star Plating Industries Ltd.

I went to visit their facilities and samples of their work and seemed to be very nice. The difference between a place like this and Mike Chestnut is that Mike is a fellow collector too. He has dealt with enough of us over the years to know exactly how meticulous we are about are parts. So as a result he might spend some extra time prepping to ensure a perfect finish where as a shop might not and just assume their finish is good enough.

If anyone has anything they want to get brass plated send me a PM and I will see if we can get a better rate for a bigger bulk job. It would be nice if we could find someone local who can do plating because paying for shipping both ways and getting taxed coming back sucks :evil:

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Beafraid said:
What about powder coat?

They do that too but it is not listed on their website. I emailed asking how much to powder coat the legs, side rails and lockbar on my Tron to blue and haven't heard back yet.

eh97ac

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga
mwong168 said:
Beafraid said:
What about powder coat?

They do that too but it is not listed on their website. I emailed asking how much to powder coat the legs, side rails and lockbar on my Tron to blue and haven't heard back yet.

I have an idea for a custom lockdown bar + powder coating. Let me know what they come back to you with.

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Was able to get my baby pacman to boot for the first time today! It still needs a bit of work but from non functional to functional is a huge jump. Lights and things will need to be replaced, switches tweaked.

The last repair that I had to do in order to get it booting was replacing the sockets on u10, u11 roms on the Vidiot board and replace a couple traces with small pieces of wire.

... And replace u15 (sn74155) but that was my fault for accidentally connecting pins 6,7 together... Whoops. Ah well now it has a nice new socket and IC

I'm done for the night in the game but next trouble shooting is something with the Solenoids blowing fuses, either the fuse under the playfield or the main fuse to the plug. After very limited troubleshooting it seems tied to the right flipper because as soon as you start pinball mode using the right flipper it will dim the game then die. If I manually throw the ball in the rest seem to operate normally.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1382582966240.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382582966240.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 557

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont
Nice job getting Baby Pac back up and running! They can be a bit of a bear to get going and make reliable. Check your EOS switches on your flippers for the fuse blowing issue, sounds like the one on your right flipper isn't opening and cutting the high power to the flipper coil.

Today's repairs for me involved troubleshooting a dead sound section on a Pinbot MPU board. I have the Leon's test rom and my trust logic probe and started with the diagnosis. Eventually determined after replacing a few components that the test program was not running. Eventually found a broken trace under the eprom socket made by someone sticking a screwdriver under the socket in an attempt to pull the chip. Repaired the trace and all is good again.

The rest of my recent repairs were on someone else's machines, installing remote battery packs and cutting off corroded battery holders, chasing down bizarre behaviour on a Funhouse that was solved by re-seating the ribbon cable between the MPU and driver board. Fixing switch issues caused battery corrosion and chasing down lamp matrix issues caused by mis-wired mods. I still have to rebuild Rudy's head, and rebuild the flippers on Funhouse and get Pinbot up and running from a playfield swap. *whew*

I'm keeping busy. Some day I might work on my own machines again. :lol:

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Put the upgraded LOTR coils from PBL in on Friday-wow those things make a difference. This game plays really fast now-the ball return on the Legolas ramp is really quick, and backhands to the sword ramp are much snappier. Completing DTR is slightly easier, but I still ran into a weird case where the second ball would knock the first back into play (which I suppose is bound to happen). Also figured out that the timer on the 2x scoring gift from the elves can be extended. Not quite sure how (probably the Palantir), but I had it running for way longer than 60 seconds during one game.

Also remembered that putting something down under where you're soldering coils is a good idea. Dripping solder on carpet is probably a bad thing :)