• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Street figher 2

Chris Sisson

Feb 28, 2017
calgary
New to the site, recently bought our first pin, an ac/dc let there be rock LE. It's been mentioned to me by several " collectors" in my area that pins can be kind of addicting. We're not at that point yet but would like to add another machine so as to have another pin for those times when friends come to play and so we're all not standing around waiting our turn on ac/dc. Have an opportunity to pick up a street fighter 2 locally. Have not seen it yet but told it is clean and completely working.Hope to see it on Saturday.I have read on pinside the game has mixed reviews, to much stop and go blah ,blah... Regardless there seems to be a lot of knowable people here on this site and would appreciate their opinions , on pricing,game play , good parts resources, etc. But as the game is 24 years old and counting I would like to know about inherent problems, things to look for besides the obvious broken plastic,s etc. Appreciate the input. Cheers.

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Congrats on the ACDC!

Hmm...Inherent problems with Street Fighter 2? The main one is that it's a Street Fighter 2.

All pinball is good pinball. Unless it's a Street Fighter 2.

Great theme, abysmal gameplay. I dump on a lot of games in jest--IJ, Fish Tales--and I've got a bunch of games that are of questionable taste, but SF2 is a boring, annoying, plodding mess. You seem to be new to owning games? We've all been there. You get your first hit and you immediately look for your next fix. I'm not sure you'd regret buying this game down the line, but you'll certainly look back on it as an early mistake due to being so anxious to own more games.

In the end it is your money...and you can spend it how you please. If you can grab this thing for peanuts, pick it up. Gottlieb games from this era are generally built like tanks and pretty reliable. But be patient. Something better will surly come along...even in your area.

In summary, I wouldn't park a rusted up station wagon with a cracked windshield, a dented fender, stains on the passenger seat and an interior that smells like rotting fish (SF2) next to your band new Tesla (ACDCLE).

Reactions: Menace

Chris Sisson

Feb 28, 2017
calgary
That Tesla reference made the wife and I laugh out loud...we have a 1968 Beaumont and certainly would not want a sad sack car beside her...lol...nice to see you don't hold your cards close to the vest...built like tanks is a good thing...missed out on a T2 the other day but it happens....anybody else ?

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Oh forgot to ask what would you park beside the Tesla , with a budget of course.
If you are looking for DMD era stuff and don't want to break the bank; WCS94, or Stargate.

T2, Getaway, Last Action Hero, Tales from the Crypt, if you had a bit more to spend.

I don't think there is a game made after 1986 that I would put SF2 over on. Only my opinion, of course.

Chris Sisson

Feb 28, 2017
calgary
Hey thanks for your thoughts, I appreciate it. I think your advice for patience is sage. There literally is almost a non existent pinball circle here in Calgary so games that are available are limited and do not come up often. Seems everyone wants a decent game and if the pin were to actually make it Kijijj before being sold friend to friend is rare. But again I hear what your saying, patience. MIght still make a call about the missed T2.

stiffler4444

Nov 20, 2012
Crystal Beach, Ontario
I agree on the patience thing. I collected about 8 games back when I first started out due to lack of patience. I wound up selling them all and a couple years later started again. Of the 8, I would only bring one back. That's very telling of what can happen if you just start buying what's available. Wait for what you want and it will find you. On a side note, go ahead and spend the money to ship one that you want. I recently shipped a pin from California because I couldn't find it locally. Was a great decision despite the cost. Get what you want.

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
Just a story.

My friend owned Shaq attack (very poorly rated) as one of his first pins, he enjoyed it, he liked the theme, and was happy playing pinball at home. He then had to sell his games off because of life happening. Years pass and he's played many more titles, and now owns a couple good pins again. A Shaq attack came up locally for sale and he jumped on the add. He said "it was a good game, I had fun playing it" so he went out to buy it. But after playing a few games as a more experienced player, he finally realized the slog of a game that it is and turned town the sale. He said "I can't believe that I used to enjoy that game."

So,
You might enjoy a poorly rated game at first, some games just work for some people, but you also might tire of it quickly. If you do get bored of it, then it should be possible to resell for close to what you payed (as long as you don't over pay) in a timely manner. Although you might not want to have funds tied up in one game when a more desirable title comes along.

Buy it and play it, or pass it by and wait for something better to come eventually. All pinball is good.

Reactions: spiroagnew

Chris Sisson

Feb 28, 2017
calgary
I think the verdict is in...no SF2 for us. Patience will rule the day.... thanks for all the advise...helps to get a more experienced point of view...