• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Stern Pinball Arcade

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
I'm guessing this is rift only and not Gear VR-just checked on my phone and it's not showing up on the Oculus store there. Really curious to try the VR version of this. I don't think it'll help with the latency or lack of tactile feedback, but the camera support and 3d visuals would be really neat to check out.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Oh shit, it was for Gear VR. It just wasn't listed in the "new" section. Downloading it now-I'll give it a shot tonight and see how it works. Nice that they give you MSF for free. Interesting that it doesn't require a controller-no idea how it'd work with just the touchpad on the headset. Please don't tell me it's a "chimp mode" :)

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
I tried the gear VR version tonight, and it's a pretty hot mess right now. First, the good. The 3D effect is pretty good, and the field of view is pretty similar to playing an actual machine. You can see the whole playfield/DMD at once, which is better than trying to play on a TV/Phone/monitor/tablet. It's better than most of the virtual cabs I've tried, and the surrounding room effect is kind of neat. I think I know some guys who have the same carpet they're using.

MSF is mostly playable. For the record, I'm running a Note 5, and the physics were similar to what you'd get on the Steam version. I was also playing with a BT controller, so controls were what you'd expect (triggers + stick for nudging). Same over-nudge that you get on the other versions. The playfield on MSF is a pixellated mess though, and it's impossible to make out text etc on inserts.

I also grabbed Star Trek, since I was more familiar with the game, and wanted to see how it held up. It played like it was underwater-about 1/2 the speed of a normal ST (maybe even less if ST is set up extra hard). Basically unplayable, and the Oculus store doesn't offer refunds (unlike Google Play and Steam). Maybe they'll be able to patch this later?

Anyway, save the 10 bucks for now. Maybe it'll work better on an actual Rift?

And yes, without a controller, the touchpad flips both flippers at once. Pretty sad...

kiwi

Dec 27, 2015
Ontario, Canada
I tried the gear VR version tonight,

<SNIP>

Anyway, save the 10 bucks for now. Maybe it'll work better on an actual Rift?

And yes, without a controller, the touchpad flips both flippers at once. Pretty sad...

thanks for the update. I have a GearVR, maybe the full Rift version would be better. Enjoying playing on my iPad for now while I ponder future real machines ;-)

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
I like the Gear VR for what it is. I got it because I had the Note 5 anyway, and for $100 I could mess with some VR stuff without going in over $1000 on an Oculus/Vive setup. Some of the games (Eve Gunjack and Land's End) have been worth playing, and it's neat for messing with VR video stuff (there are some cool POV roller coaster videos on MilkVR). Unfortunately, VR pinball just isn't there yet... It's too bad because it's probably the most promising take on Virtual Pinball I've seen to date.