• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

SOLD Stern Orbitor 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
The last pinball Stern Electronics produced, released in 1982.
Only 889 units worldwide make this widebody game extremely rare.
In good working order.
See photos for details of actual machine for sale.

Notable Features:

Flippers (2), Spinning bumpers (2), Slingshots (2), Standup targets (8), 7-bank drop targets (1), 3-bank drop targets (2), Spinning target (1), Kick-out hole (1), 2-ball multiball, speech. Clear, contoured plastic playfield has a "moon surface"-like substrate. Playfield slopes down and in towards the spinning bumpers which fling the ball away. The playfield slopes behind the flippers, allowing balls to be flipped backwards and then rescued for a forward-flipping shot. The kick-out hole always traps the ball landing in it, until released for multiball.

Notes:

Rotating target bumpers add spin in addition to bounce, making the physics of the curved playfield difficult for the inexperienced Orbitor-1 player. Playfield is (smooth) molded Plexiglas, with the moonscape surface artwork suspended beneath it. The moonscape is lit from below by a fluorescent tube.

Drop all the targets in the two 3-target banks to advance bonus. Drop all the "Orbitor" targets and then hit all the Orbiter targets behind them to start multi-ball, or hit the captured ball hard and it'll bounce out and start multi-ball.

The backglass is made of a clear protective plastic cover and a rigid translite behind which are raised 3D features.

The flyer refers to the spinning bumpers as "revolving discs" and the manufacturer's parts list indicates these discs can spin either clockwise or counterclockwise, depending on which of two spinning motors is installed.

'Orbitor 1' was the last pinball machine produced by Stern Electronics. Ted Salveson wrote in his Coin Machine Trader (October 1982, page 2) that the last Orbitor 1 game shipped from the factory on August 10, 1982. Salveson wrote that, according to an authority from the factory, their suspension of pinball production would not be permanent. Salveson reasoned that video games would become their main interest.

Attachments

• photo%201.JPG
    photo%201.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 426
  • photo%202.JPG
    photo%202.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 426
  • photo%203.JPG
    photo%203.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 426
  • photo%204.JPG
    photo%204.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 426

Bally Boy

Dec 14, 2012
Ancaster
Re: SOLD PENDING Stern Orbitor 1

quarter grabber said:
What was the price on this and did Bally Butthurt Boy buy it?

Ryan, NO - it wasn't me. I really don't need to buy this game again, I already owned this exact game... once was enough for me on this one. My butt was not hurt - not even slightly injured. I was the one who sold it to Claude in the first place ( unless Claude owned another one ).

It's fun and different. GLWS, this particular game ( if it actually is that one I owned ) is in excellent condition and you would be hard to find another one as nice...... and that is pinball baby.

ALJO

Apr 6, 2013
St.Romuald

Bally Boy said:
quarter grabber said:

Ryan, NO - it wasn't me. I really don't need to buy this game again, I already owned this exact game... once was enough for me on this one. My butt was not hurt - not even slightly injured. I was the one who sold it to Claude in the first place ( unless Claude owned another one ).

It's fun and different. GLWS, this particular game ( if it actually is that one I owned ) is in excellent condition and you would be hard to find another one as nice...... and that is pinball baby.

No, I owned only one and it was this one that you sold me.......
Really nice game to who ever will buy it, I had completely shopped the game by removing the clear playfield plastic and I also added the CPR plastics.
GLWTS.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough

This pin has had a helluva history of ownership. We all agree she is a beauty.

Bally Boy > ALJO > Sparky > Brewmanager > WARLOCK > JTE > (new owner?)

As Dan says, that is pinball baby! All the best to the new owner.

quarter grabber

May 29, 2013
Ottawa

Bally Boy said:
quarter grabber said:

Hahahahaha. I'm glad you were able to see that was a joke and thanks for being a good sport about it :)

Bally Boy

Dec 14, 2012
Ancaster

WARLOCK said:
This pin has had a helluva history of ownership. We all agree she is a beauty.

Bally Boy > ALJO > Sparky > Brewmanager > WARLOCK > JTE > (new owner?)

As Dan says, that is pinball baby! All the best to the new owner.

Hey, Scott... actually I can take it back even further.....

Brand new > operator > US owner > local collector > Bally Boy > friend of Bally Boy > Bally Boy (again) > ALJO > Sparky > Brewmanger > Warlock > JTE > new owner

It's pretty cool to see where stuff comes from and goes.... and imagine, it was sold at least 8 times without MWong even being involved :lol: ! Even more amazing is it sold at least 6 times without the internet!!!!!

Bump for a great machine - somebody should pick this up... it's a blast to play.... especially when you have multiple players and some drinks :D Young children also LOVE this game.... it gives non-pinball players a chance to beat you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB4ughRCo78

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough

That is a great history. Thanks Dan for filling in all the blanks. Very neat.
There certainly was constant coaxing from Mike Wong to both Walt and I to "sell it, sell it" though!
"No ramps, No DMD, No thanks" is Wong's motto of course. The game has great charm though.
I can't say that I wasn't greatly tempted to have it back.

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com

actually the real "that's pinball baby!" is that the price has gone up almost every time it's changed hands! :lol: Come to think of it.. wasn't it $1800 in the last FS post? :?

Status
Not open for further replies.