• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Some thoughts on LOTR vs TSPP. (Updated to add WPT on post #13,#14

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Introduction:

It’s slow season so here is some site content, likely back to lurking after :p. This is just a compilation of my thoughts of these two games that I’ve been thinking of while playing them. They seemed to always get lumped together when talking about “deep” games. Both of these games are incredible and I’m happy to have them both side by side in my lineup. Any issues I have with either game are really just nitpick points. Chances are that if someone is really fond of one of the games they will also like the other. They have similar style gameplay in the fact that they both have long ball times, lots to shoot for, and incredible depth and strategy to the rules. All that being said, they are not equal. They each play differently. Here is my take on it:

Cabinet Art:

To be honest I don’t really think either game shines much in this department. Both of them have terrible print jobs. I’d have to give the nod to The Simpsons on a head to head though simply because I find it a bit more suiting of the theme and game in general. It sort of reminds me of those Simpsons posters you see with a bunch of the characters on it. I’m really not sure where the blue and red theme on The Lord of the Rings is supposed to fit in. It isn’t like a recurring red and blue contrast between good and evil or anything in the films from what I remember. Either way it’s just cabinet art but they both aren’t great.

Theme and Immersion in Gameplay:

This is one area where LOTR really shines. From the second you hit the start button you feel as though you are on the adventure. To be honest I was never really into the movies and a bit hesitant about even buying the game simply because of the theme. It does such a good job of making you feel like part of the adventure that it can take someone like me, who didn’t even want to be part of the adventure, feel like I’m in the adventure and enjoy it. The Simpsons doesn’t really seem to have that same draw. In a sense it just feels like you are aimlessly wandering around Springfield. It never feels like you are in dire need of accomplishing the goal like it does in LOTR. LOTR without a doubt takes the cake here in my eyes.

Build Quality and Design:

Both games are from Stern and released close enough to the same time that the build quality is similar. LOTR has some very poorly designed aspects to it. Lets start with the Path of The Dead. The POTD continuously drops the ball onto the Arwen plastic directly below it with zero protection thus causing it to break (like mine). Next is the top post diverter into the Orthanc Tower. A bad design that causes it to not do it’s one and only job which is stop the ball and divert it into the tower. This forces people to either angle the diverter post using washers and/ or put a cut down post sleeve tip on it in order to get it to actually work how it’s supposed to. Next we have the Balrog bash which has a normally closed switch, this means that anytime the toy that constantly moves throughout the game gets a frayed wire harness it will randomly award ring hits or start modes. The switch also relies on the whole toy moving to register a bash hit, which can also cause issues if it doesn’t return to it’s home position 100%. What’s wrong with just a simple switch on the front of it and keeping the Balrog solid (obviously still needs to swing out of the way but I’m referring to the up/down play it has to activate the switch). The ring magnet… the main shot in the game. Does it work? Yes most of the time, however it can be unreliable as well. It relies on optos as well as physical microswitches to work. I’ve had it happen a few times where the ball will shoot right through the magnet. Before people tell me to check my spinner switch, yes it works fine. The magnet is activating but it has still happened where a hard shot will launch right through it if the opto doesn’t pick it up and activate the hold. This caused me to get a DTR time of 11 seconds one game and have to reset my Grand Champion score to erase it as it wasn’t valid (nailed every shot perfectly and then first time up to the ring it destroyed it). I realize this shouldn’t happen but it did and it bothered me. But wait there is still more… I’m not sure what angle the people that designed the game were looking from but it wasn’t the players position. The palantir globe doesn’t line up with the glow of the light on any of the games and the Barad dur tower eye mirror is blocked by one of the tower peaks. You have to lean way off to the left in order to get them to match up properly. Overall I find it to be a very poorly designed game. It’s a shame because the build quality I find to be very nice and the gameplay is phenomenal. I’m yet to find anything overly problematic on TSPP however it isn't perfect either. One thing that has always bothered me about TSPP is the fact that the playfield is inconsistent and not intuitive in certain instances. The two instances that I can think of off the top of my head are the 2x bumper scoring light and the couch shot during homers day mode. Every 2x scoring mode on the playfield has a 2x scoring red insert...except for the bumpers. For some unknown reason there is no insert and you have to watch for a dimly flashing #47 bulb flashing under all the artwork. Why? Why not just put a 2x scoring insert like every other shot in the game? I installed some bright red LEDs under the playfield in that spot so it sort of matches a bit but I really don’t understand the logic behind it. The couch shot bothers me because in almost all mode shots that need to be made there are yellow arrows directing you where to shoot except the couch shot in Homer’s Day mode. It wouldn’t be so bad except instead of no light being used, the red Jackpot light is used. Maybe it’s just OCD but it’s bothering. The TSPP is a 5 flipper game. This causes it to be noisier and feel slightly clunkier than LOTR. It also means double stack flipper switches which can be a bit of a pain to get firing at exactly the right time. If they aren’t adjusted perfectly you will get the top two right flippers firing slightly slower or faster than the bottom right flipper. I’m not exactly sure what the purpose of the huge homer head is serving either. It isn’t a big deal because you just ignore it during game play so it isn’t distracting it’s just a huge ugly unnecessary toy that does nothing except for “sort of” loosely follow the ball and look around the playfield.

Sound:

This is another area where both games could use some improvement. When it isn’t uncommon to have 30-45+ minute playtime on either game the sounds can get a bit repetitive. The sound package on LOTR is better though. The music is catchy and there are some really great callouts. TSPP has the humour that fits in with the theme but I find the music can get annoying faster and the sound quality is quite terrible. I do have a later run of the simpsons (2008) and I’m pretty sure they used different sound chips (read something about emulated sound) which are supposedly worse than the original so that may have something to do with the sound quality. As it is now though I cringe anytime I hear the otto horn go off because I know every single time it’s going to be followed by a heavily distorted bus burnout sound whenever anything else is happening (multiball).

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Gameplay:

Skill Shot:

Is it really so important that it requires it’s own section? Well kind of. The LOTR skill shot is decent, especially when you compare it to a lot of games. There are some slight strategic reasons to shoot either the tower or lane skill shot but the flipper skill shot almost seems like a waste. Maybe if you are really solid at hitting the flipper skill shot it would be worth it for the higher points it awards but it seems 95% of the time the best option is just to choose tower and shoot it into the orthanc tower up the the POTD which helps collect souls. The skill shot does integrate a bit with the modes or possibly starting ROTK multiball etc but the integration is nowhere near as deep as the skill shot is with TSPP. With everything being stackable on TSPP the skill shot plays a very strategic role right off the launch. What TV modes you have running, what hurryups you have running, how many hurryups you have running, how many daredevil modes you have running, whether or not you have 2x kiwk-e-mart scoring running etc are all going to play a part in what you will want your priority shot to be. If you play your cards just right you can nail all 3 skill shots by shooting through the kwik-e-mart, hitting the bully targets and bouncing down to hit the comic book guy. To me it feels as though the skill shot on TSPP is a part of the game that can have a big impact on your scoring. The real beauty of the layout on TSPP is the ability to nudge from the outlane back into the shooter lane and then you are awarded with another skill shot opportunity.

Mini vs Mini:

Chances are most people won’t get to the final wizard modes on a regular basis so let’s take a look at the mini wizard modes you get after completing the main modes in each game. There And Back Again for LOTR and Alien Invasion for TSPP. There and back again is fun, it changes the feel of the game while you play it and it rewards you according to how well you played out the modes. Overall I like it and can’t really fault it for anything. Being able to activate and use 2x scoring during TABA is really handy and can rack up the score nicely and it’s how I got my highest score on LOTR. It can also play a strategic role in when you start TABA if you have a gift from the elves lined up it’s definitely worth while to try and get 2x scoring running first. Alien Invasion is one of the most fun and challenging modes I have played. I won’t try and hide my bias, Alien Invasion beats the snot out of TABA. It beats it badly. Strategy is a big attraction for me and alien invasion needs plenty of it in order to win. Playing the ball saver to focus on the upper playfield during the levels 4 and 5 is crucial in order to beat them. If the ball saver runs out and you haven’t locked into the couch at all you will find yourself catching and passing balls around between flippers on the lower playfield while trying to nail the tv and couch shots. This is one of the few modes in the game where you can’t stack everything. Certain things are very beneficial to have running and complete during this mode such as Secret Stash and Daredevil Mania.

Multiball modes:

Both games have a lot of multiball modes. At first I was a bit turned off by the fact that it seemed every game in LOTR is multiball followed by multiball and you are just constantly starting a new multiball. I’ve gotten used to it now and it doesn’t bother me but I do wish that you could progress through the game a little better while running a multiball. LOTR has one of my favorite multiball modes which is the Gollum multiball. It’s a 2 ball multiball where every seven seconds the game switches between Gollum (half scoring) and Smeagol (double scoring). It makes for good strategy when planning any big jackpot shots. Again I love strategy. Gollum multiball is one of the only multiballs in the game that you can still progress through the game while it’s running which I like a lot. The Fellowship multiball is pretty cool and requires some good ball catching skills and shot accuracy. Two Towers multiball is fun but is basically just shoot all shots all the time so it tends to be a little too easy. For some reason I just find Return of the King multiball a bit boring. Shoot the exact same shots until infinity. If Return of the King is the last multiball you run and you immediately follow up by playing destroy the ring then guess what… you get to shoot the exact same shots again! Yay! Makes the game feel a little bit stale and monotonous. What I like about TSPP is that the requirements to start multiball modes like Springfield Mystery Spot and Pretzel are so steep that you have to actually earn them. They aren’t just handed to you like a lot of the multiball modes in LOTR which will sort of naturally start without specifically going for them. I feel the same way about Itchy and Scratchy multiball. I rarely specifically go for it but it just kind of naturally starts based off balls bouncing off the slings and things to that nature. Springfield Mystery Spot (reverse flipper multiball) is just plain fun. It’ll screw you up even if you swap your hands around and it’s just really a lot of fun. If you stack that with some other multiballs you can really boost your score up a lot. Couch multiball I like. It employs the same strategic planning as with Alien Invasion. For instance two balls left in play, you get one ball up to the upper playfield then you have to try and catch the lower playfield ball with the right flipper so you can use the upper left to shoot behind the TV, before the ball releases from the TV you have to post pass from the lower right to the lower left flipper in order to use the upper right flipper to shoot the couch. I like it a lot.

Regular modes:

I like all the regular modes in both games. I have nothing bad to say about any of them really. I’m really fond of the Gandalf vs Saruman mode and the Ringwraith modes on LOTR. Both of those are really well done. There is a good variety of modes in LOTR. There are easier modes like War of the Ents and there are incredibly difficult modes like Kill the Witchking. I feel the same with TSPP. All the modes are fun and varied. With TSPP being the king of stacking it really takes the modes up to the next level. Even just planning on which modes to start is complex and interesting. What 2x scoring you have going, hurryups, how many shots to the moe ramp, how many balls are locked, etc the list goes on and on. TSPP is a game of chess. Every move you make changes the game completely. Some people may like that some may not.

Earnable extras:

Gifts from the Elves and Treehouse awards, I didn’t know what else to call them so I figure they are earnable extras. Both of these are similar in that some are simple awards and some are playable modes. I would give the tip of the hat to TSPP in this department. More of the modes are playable and the crazy extra ball is just plain cool and awesome.

Scoring:

Both games have good scoring systems and rules. I don’t feel as though any of the games have a big hole or exploit that you can cheat your way through. The risks seems to match the rewards in my eyes.

Random Thoughts:

LOTR has more flow and is less stop and go style plan than TSPP. Combos are more fun in LOTR. TSPP has a better 2x scoring system. Gimli and Sam holes on LOTR are not intuitive for newbies being that depending on where you enter the hole from they do not react the same. If extra ball is lit on LOTR and a new player falls through the rollover lanes into the hole they get excited but no extra ball is awarded. Sword lock ramp is pretty badass. 5 flippers are better than 2, a lot more shots to make. I installed fans with zip ties on all flipper coils on both games to minimize flipper fatigue on long games.

What’s your opinion?

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
Had both, loved both, but one had to go for lineup variety.

TSPP remains...love it to bits.

Unlimited money/space I'd bring back a LOTR...but I have neither. One looooong player in the lineup is enough.

FastEd

Sep 5, 2014
Toronto
Thanks for the great review! I feel like I've only uncovered about 25% of TSPP so far. Still enjoying it very much.

It's great that you did a comparison between TSPP and LOTR, as I'm hoping that LOTR will be my next pin.

From the few games that I've played on LOTR, I agree with you totally. Definitely more flow than TSPP and a ton of fun.

Good idea about the cooling fans for the flipper coil. Can you post a pic of it when you have a chance?

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Good idea about the cooling fans for the flipper coil. Can you post a pic of it when you have a chance?

Glad you liked it. Here is a terrible pic of how I hooked up the fan.
a918e7c35b95be16ae38824c2345d3c7.jpg
I'll post a better picture later once I'm home so you can see what I've done easier. Basically just two zip ties hold them in place. One goes underneath the coil and attaches to the coil stop bracket, one on the other end attached to the bracket. I used 120mm fans for all of them because they are perfect size and quiet. I used all silent fans in tspp since there are more of them. They aren't audible in either game though. I just tied them together and connected to the 12v power source in the bottom right of the cabinet just inside the coin door.

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
So here is the fan attachment with zip ties:
573f23bdeecac5bdb1352211f5a0f415.jpg

All the fans:
2a12432d930922a4082580582f0aa99d.jpg

They all connect together:
848341880d0453d636ea5bd6e420fbbd.jpg

And then plug into this:
5ca07eb5dd10e6d114b183ce8342a0b1.jpg

It isn't my idea I just read and saw pictures of other people doing similar things so I gave it a try. Very noticeable improvement on long games especially on lotr. If you read the comments on the YouTube video about valinor strategy you will see he talks about how they added fans to the flipper coils as well to prevent fatigue. For $5-$10 a fan it's a mod that improves gameplay and is easily to install/uninstall.

FastEd

Sep 5, 2014
Toronto
Awesome, thanks! I was wondering what size fans you were using. Yes, 120mm fans should be nice and quiet.

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
Both of these games are in my "dream pin" collection. And both are priced outta my budget right now. I hope that both of these get the VE treatment from stern someday and the used market drops on the originals. I play both of these often on the virtual cab. TSPP was the reason I built it, I couldn't justify spending 4k on one game at the time, not knowing if the game would keep me enthused long enough.

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
They are both pricey games for sure. I hope they release vault editions as well. I remember very clearly buying my first game for $375 and thinking why are all these suckers paying $1500 for a game? Needless to say the addiction set it and those days are past. I saved up for a few years to buy TSPP. It was the one I really wanted. The problem is that once I got it the addiction just got worse because I like it so much and play it non stop and I had to have more. LOTR was the next logical step for me. Well next big purchase I should say, I had a few sub $1000 games come and go in the time between buying TSPP and LOTR. They were just filler games though. The good news is that even though they are expensive they are worth it and you get a lot of game.

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
I agree. Even though their 4-5 grand a piece, I think their very good bang for your buck. I've played many 30 minute games on (virtual) LOtR and haven't beat it yet. Haven't even came close.

I also really like attack from Mars, but the cost is even more. More then the added enjoyment value. IMHO. I'd never pay 8k for a midevil madness, it's fun, but not that fun.

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Introduction:

OK so I have LOTR and TSPP so where do I go next? Well the general consensus seemed to be that the next most fitting game for me would be World Poker Tour. Said to have deep rules similar to LOTR and TSPP which would make sense since all three games are Keith Johnson games. Decided to pick one up and explore. Lets get into it...

Cabinet Art:

Well one glance at it and it isn’t hard to figure out which one of the three is the loser of this category. Unfortunately it’s just an ugly cabinet. It also has a bad print job the same as LOTR and TSPP. I will try not to be too harsh in this category. It is what it is and it’s not the reason I got the game. It isn’t like I was blindsided by this.

Theme and Immersion in Gameplay:

It’s unfortunate that this game got stuck under the WPT license. I actually like the design of the playfield art but overall the theme is the major downfall of this game. It isn’t the fact that it’s a poker pin, I like that, it’s just the terrible execution of the license and overall package. I can’t help but think of what this game could be with a retheme. Let’s look at the arcade game Crazy Taxi for one second. It’s a game where you drive a taxi from one place to another picking up and dropping people off. Sounds pretty boring, now add some fast exciting music, some funny sayings, a whacky announcer and all the sudden you have a hit. Same with this game. The announcers in WPT honestly sound like the stereotypical “boring golf announcer” in this game. The whole thing just kind of feels blah. Even going down as far as say the animations, the game just lacks. If you look at the “special” animation for LOTR it’s integrated from the theme and includes them lighting off fireworks (Just like in the movie), has sounds, etc. WPT has none of that they just seem like simple generic animations. There are lots more but this is the one I thought of off the top of my head. Do you need a good “special” animation to have a good game? No. Does it make LOTR stand out as being more polished in the theme? Absolutely.

Build Quality and Design:

Another Stern title from close enough to the same era that the build quality on all 3 games is almost identical. This game actually does quite well in the design department from my eyes. It does better than LOTR and TSPP but it isn’t perfect either. My big complaint about this game in the design department is the upper playfield is made of clear plexiglass type material. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out what will happen if you take a piece of lexan and continuously rub a metal ball on it. It just simply doesn’t hold up well enough. Scratches, fogging, etc of the clear upper playfield are all to be expected over time. The real functional problem with this is that the Ace in the Hole “Jail” relies on an optical sensor that has to be able to see through the upper playfield at all times. Any fogging or scratches on the playfield can and do screw up the opto underneath. Under the playfield there is also the pop target bank which has the selectably lit switches via flipper button and if you can’t see through the clear playfield where the ball is at all times then it’s substantially harder to clear the bank. Sure you could say that these games aren’t supposed to last long and it doesn’t matter but I’m not buying that. Definitely not on a game this new. There was a reason that the main playfield was clear coated, there are reasons why mylar is factory installed on certain spots on machines and it’s to prevent wear. Upper playfield doesn’t hold up plain and simple. Overall it’s design is really good though. In LOTR it seems a lot of balls get lodged places and hang up during multiball up in the bumpers. In WPT I’m yet to run into these problems. No particularly problematic areas on the playfield with toys or ball hang ups. Nice smooth problem free game play. I like it. A problem with all 3 games that I’ve yet to mention is the terrible shooter rod oilite metal bushings. This is an ongoing poor design evidently. Metal on metal contact makes them sticky after a few weeks of play and requires disassembly and cleaning to ensure smooth plunging. It’s brutal. On all 3 games! What was wrong with the plastic sleeve other manufacturers use?

Sound:

Like the other two games WPT tends to have long ball times. There isn’t enough music and there aren’t enough variance in the callouts for a game with play time that reaches 30+ minutes. Sound quality itself is nice. Makes sense since it’s a newer system and presumably higher quality audio parts. I don’t hear any of the distortion that is heard on TSPP. I’m just getting tired of listening to the same boring call outs and guitar riff from WPT is all.

Gameplay:

Skill Shot:

TSPP nailed it, LOTR made it noticeably worse, and WPT took any remaining amount of fun, challenge, and strategy that was remaining and tossed it out the window. Unfortunately the skill shot in this game is the worst of the 3 by far. The first problem is that there is no actual skill involved. You are essentially just choosing which award you would like to be given. You might as well have a lame button launcher on WPT because the shooter rod is doing nada. Out of the three choices you are presented with the only one that involves having any skill is the skill flip and it isn’t worth shooting for. The award is too minimal and the upper playfield launcher may or may not deliver a perfect ball on the flipper. The other two choices have some slight strategic reasons why you would choose them but there is still no skill. Honestly 90% of of the time you will just advance the hold em hand and that’s it. Boring. At least in the LOTR when you almost always shoot for the tower you have to actually make it into the tower. There is at least some skill involved. On a game with such a bad theme that relies almost exclusively on gameplay this is a big let down.

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Multiball modes:

I don’t mind the multiball modes in WPT. They are sufficient. I won’t say that any of them stand out to me as being overly interesting or different. In LOTR you get the fellowship multiball which is cool and different (plus a few of the other multiball modes are really good) and in TSPP you get Springfield Mystery Spot (again plus a bunch of the other cool multiball modes) and in WPT you don’t really get anything other than what you would expect. I like the fact that you can light 1x,2x,3x jackpots from the drops and combine that with the “earnable extra” in this game. They aren’t bad, just not as good.

Regular modes:

In LOTR and TSPP if you take away everything else in the game except the main modes of the game and the main “half way” wizard modes (TABA and AI) you are still left with really good games. The modes in those games hold up well on their own. In WPT that isn’t so much the case. If you take away everything in the game and are left with just the poker corner modes, you have a pretty crappy game left over. Two out of the six modes are basically the same, just hit the drop targets. As much as I would have liked the modes to be better I won’t subtract too many invisible points from WPT in this department simply because the modes don’t play as big of a role in this game as the other two. The modes are integrated into the game play, just not to the extent that they are in LOTR and TSPP. By that I mean as soon as you start TSPP you immediately want to try and get some modes going, etc. In WPT you start up a game and get working on your poker hands. The modes feel a bit off to the side when it comes to game play. Don’t let this deter you too much it’s just a different style game and doesn’t utilize the modes quite the same.

Let’s get into the main attraction of the game which is the holdem hands. I like them. At times it may seem like you are simply ramping out until infinity but there is enough happening strategically with the hands that the game play can get really interesting. They pair nicely with the “earnable extra” in the game which I’ll get into in just a moment. With the ramps, spinners, and “earnable extra” you are left with a really fun, really well thought out portion of the game. Knowing exactly where you are in your hand and city are key and change the way you play and what your priority shot is. Overall I’m pleased. They are fun, easy to understand, and require thinking.

Earnable extras:

While not quite the same as the “earnable extras” in the other two games this is where I will talk about the 3x scoring in WPT. This feature deserves its own section. The 3x scoring is the saving grace of this game. It is beautifully integrated and drastically changes your strategy. Really well done. I love it because it has both helped and hindered me, which is exactly what it’s supposed to do. The 3x scoring are awards that you can earn, stack, save, and use at your own discretion. They are activated via the inlanes so they take some serious skill to either avoid when you don’t want to use them or activate them when you would like to use them. Once activated you have about 3 seconds to make a shot and have it tripled. The beauty of it is that whatever hand/city/award gets finished with that one shot will get tripled. It can lead to some massive points if played right. I will say that the game wouldn’t be half as good… scratch that, the game wouldn’t be a quarter as good without this one feature. The game does have it though and it all of the sudden puts this game in a new category. You are looking at a plate of only potatoes and vegetables then all the sudden boom theres the steak with 3x scoring. It seriously plays that big of a part of this game. Any aspect of this game which may not seem that great instantly becomes much more enjoyable due to this one feature. Double thumbs up here.

Scoring:

Like both TSPP and LOTR I find the scoring in this game to nicely match the risk vs reward. From my experience there aren’t any real scoring exploits or balance issues anywhere. Job well done in this department. This is a big plus for me. Games can be completely ruined when there is only one shot in the game that trumps all others and is the only thing worth shooting for. Not in this game. The shots are all over and many different shots are needed to explore the game.

Other:

I feel the need to address some of the frustrations while playing this game. For some unknown and confusing reason you can’t skip the animations in this game. In both TSPP and LOTR hitting both flippers at the same time will cut the currently playing animation short and continue with play. Not in WPT. You are forced to sit through every unnecessary boring animation. That’s not completely fair I must say that the poker corner wizard mode animation is really cool. Oh you beat a city? Here sit through this long boring animation. Oh you advanced your hold em hand and can already see what the next card is on the display sitting right in the middle of the playfield? Here sit through a boring unskippable animation showing you what you already know on the DMD. Not a game killer it’s just frustrating and so easily preventable.

On to the stupid spin-a-card. Not only is the spin-a-card feature a mostly useless feature that you hit all the time while trying to progress through the game you are forced to cut play and yet again sit through the crappy unskippable animation. The spin a card is brutal and time consuming. Maybe useful 1 out of 50 shots you make to it. It could have easily been made better by including the two ramps in the random spin around and awarding either a progression in your hold em hand or drop target hand depending on where the spin landed. This would make it much more interesting and actually useful to shoot for. Yes I know it’s useful that one time when you have one more drop left to complete the last hand of your drop target series before starting the multiball but 98% of the time you still have a ton of hands to complete and a ton of drops to knock down so it’s just an annoyance.

Random Thoughts:

While writing this I found myself going back and deleting the exact same sentence over and over again in various sections “it isn’t bad, just not as good”. That sums up my feelings overall. This may in part be due to the fact that it’s the last in the series of 3 similar playing games and nothing in this game stood out to me as being exceptionally different. WPT plays more similarly to TSPP than it does to LOTR. Knowing when to fold your hand in poker is a big part of the game, there is no folding anywhere in WPT. I don’t have any ideas how to integrate it so it’s just a random thought. A pair is a pair, aces is no better than 2s for some reason.

I just read over my review and it came off harsher than I would have liked. It’s a good and fun game. That being said I won’t be changing any of the stuff that I wrote because I still agree with all of it. For the price it is currently at you get a lot of game but it isn’t hard to see why LOTR and TSPP sit in one price bracket and WPT sits in a lower bracket. Think of WPT as the worst of the best ;-)

What’s your opinion?

Reactions: dnewman