• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Should i buy a new playfield for my Getaway ?

SUPERBEE

Feb 19, 2014
Newmarket On
Im on the list for a new Getaway playfield. I was just emailed informing me that they are going to be starting them soon and need a 100 Eu deposit. Total cost after shipping is around $1200.00 cad. Does anyone know what other costs i might incur once it hit Canada ? I assuming another 15% tax ?
Do you think its worth it for a Getaway ? Did a pretty extensive resto on it . The original playfield is actually not bad. No wear except for a small amount around some of the inserts as the are not all perfectly level (some are just slightly raised). Color is a bit faded compared to the areas under the slings etc that dont see the ball . Also, what do you think the old playfield would be worth to sell after the swap ?

Thanks in advance.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Depends how bad the original really is... and will there be $1200+ worth of improvement over it?

Post some pics

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I would say yes only if you plan to keep that game forever, or the average selling price on a Getaway jumps to 5K. From what I recall your PF isn't that bad, and that's a lot of scratch. My guess is where it's coming from Germany you *could* get hit with 13% tax on the way in.

D

SUPERBEE

Feb 19, 2014
Newmarket On
Do it if the game is never leaving.
I say that its staying at the moment but i guess you never know what the future holds right ?

Depends how bad the original really is... and will there be $1200+ worth of improvement over it?
Like i said, the playfield is pretty good overall and i doubt that it would be a $1200.00 improvement but im not sure how you would even gauge that ? Ill take some photos of the playfield and post shortly.

SUPERBEE

Feb 19, 2014
Newmarket On
I would say yes only if you plan to keep that game forever, or the average selling price on a Getaway jumps to 5K. From what I recall your PF isn't that bad, and that's a lot of scratch. My guess is where it's coming from Germany you *could* get hit with 13% tax on the way in.
Yeah, it is a lot of money , especially if you add on the tax. It would look soo nice with a new playfield but already leaning towards no.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Beyond the cost of the playfield there is the work of doing the swap. Not an easy endeavor on a DMD.
Plus you will invariably want to swap out some parts while you're doing all that work.... so plan on a few more bucks.

So the real gauge of whether you should do it is how much do you love the game?

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
And do you care if you're into the game for more than 5K when you're finished? Because with the cost of the game, all the work you've already done plus the PF and other parts you'll buy during the swap that's not a far fetched number.

Then again, you'd have a pretty minty HS2 when you were done!

D

SUPERBEE

Feb 19, 2014
Newmarket On
Beyond the cost of the playfield there is the work of doing the swap. Not an easy endeavor on a DMD.
Plus you will invariably want to swap out some parts while you're doing all that work.... so plan on a few more bucks.
Im pretty confident i can do the swap and everything has pretty much been rebuilt /replaced already other than the actual playfield so it really wont need anything else.
So the real gauge of whether you should do it is how much do you love the game?
Yeah, i think this is what its going to come down too. $1200.00 would go a long way towards another pin.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Unless you are like brewmanager and plan on using your Getaway as a coffin to be buried in when you die I wouldn't do it. Then again you only live once and you are so close to Menace so I would say go for it!!!

All jokes aside, unless Getaway is a long term or forever keeper I wouldn't do it because all money, time and effort spent will only benefit the next buyer.

SUPERBEE

Feb 19, 2014
Newmarket On
Thanks Mike,
I dont think ill be buried in my Getaway unless i really piss the wife off ! lol I appreciate all the feedback. Im thinking it makes more sense to use that kind of cash towards another machine.