• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Setting up NUCORE now that Ubuntu 8.04LTS isn't supported

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont
Well I thought I would post this after my experience setting up the Nucore setup for my RFM. I was going to post this to Nucore bulletin board, but I can't get access to it, so I will post it here.

A little background, I purchased my RFM from one of the first container deals and it works 100% with the factory computer, but when it was announced that Nucore was being discontinued I decided I should probably grab it up. I liked the idea of the configuration for ignoring LED's in the self test, using modern non-proprietary hardware and the jukebox function.

Fast forward to last week, I finally decided to put all the pieces together and set my system up and test everything. Set the computer up on the bench and installed Ubuntu 8.04LTS and finally managed to get my network adapter to work in Ubuntu and then discovered that 8.04LTS has reached End Of Life as of May 9,2013 and now the standard repositories no longer exist. This leaves you with a bit of a dilemma if you need to re-do your Nucore setup, or like me, you have had your Nucore sitting on a shelf waiting until you get around to setting it up.

However there is a workaround. Unfortunately I don't know how long this workaround will work, so I would highly recommend if you haven't set up your Nucore up yet, do it now.

What you will need to do is follow the instructions on the following website to update your sources.list file to include a new repository that has the files for the obsolete Ubuntu versions.

http://superuser.com/questions/339537/w ... u-versions

If you don't have all the files downloaded that you need, you may have to dig around, the nucore.tar.tar file is no longer available at the link posted. I thankfully already had it downloaded, but there may be a workaround. This is something that is a subject for someone smarter than I.

Hopefully this helps some people out. My recommendation is that if you haven't set your system up yet, do it as soon as possible. If you do have yours set up and working, back it up!

necro_nemesis

Nov 20, 2012
Newmarket, Ontario. Canada
Re: Setting up NUCORE now that Ubuntu 8.04LTS isn't supporte

So the take away is we can add one to the inventory of the number of RFM software versions that is dependent on something which is obsolete. :lol:

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont

Well, since Nucore is no longer being sold, this information only benefits those who bought Nucore in the first place. At least it still gives us the option to make current, common, generic hardware keep these machines alive vs being stuck using 15 year old nearly unobtainable hardware that didn't age well.

If anyone is to blame for Nucore no longer being in development, its the pinball collecting community as a whole. If there weren't so many people in this hobby who's only goal is to squeeze every penny out of every possible person in this hobby and litigate against anyone they feel might possibly, slightly be infringing on their penny squeezing, we would probably still be able to buy products like Nucore.
/rant off

One of my main goals in this hobby is to help keep machines running and people enjoying them through education, sharing information and directly using my meagre repair skills where I can. And I openly thank those who do the same.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora

If it's just Ubuntu that is the stumbling block that is hardly making anything to do with NuCore obsolete...

I might fire Chuck an email to ask him about this issue just to see what he says.

D

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont

Thanks Doug, I appreciate that. I signed up on the Nucore site, but I gave up waiting for the account to be activated.

necro_nemesis

Nov 20, 2012
Newmarket, Ontario. Canada

Menace said:
If it's just Ubuntu that is the stumbling block that is hardly making anything to do with NuCore obsolete...

I might fire Chuck an email to ask him about this issue just to see what he says.

D

Similarly the Cyrix 586-GXM-AV and Prism card could also be considered stumbling blocks as the original code was fine save the dependency. One would hope it easier to access a repository of obsolete software vs trying to acquire obsolete hardware.

I'm quite surprised the correct OS wasn't bundled in with the installer. Ubuntu is free after all.