• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Rivets

FastEd

Sep 5, 2014
Toronto
What have you guys found was the best way to remove rivets from ramps? I have some rivets that are holding a flasher and a switch on to the ramp.

What's the best tool to install new rivets?

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Drill the back of the rivet out with a metal bit. Use the drill's low setting and don't press too hard or the rivet will start to spin and then you're pooched. I normally go for a larger bit that will shave away the small lip. Worst case use a small bit and drill straight through to the head. The head usually pops off and the rivet comes out backwards. Invest in good quality bits and make sure they are sharp for this use.

To rivet them back on you will need something like this. Best tool ever!

http://www.pinrestore.com/Riveting.html

FastEd

Sep 5, 2014
Toronto
Hey Drano,

Thanks for the response. Do you usually do rivet work while the ramp is still in the machine or do you take it out (ie. de-solder the switch and flasher socket)?

I took a look at the rivet press. Seems like a pricey option, but, I guess if you do enough of it, then it's worthwhile. Did you get the pre-built rivet press or the kit? It sounds like shipping the press alone will be over a $100. The site also talks about building your own, using the kit. I've found an arbor press on sale at Princess Auto for $49, which looks like it will work as the base.

Thanks,
Ed

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I've been waiting for that press to go on sale for a few months as I've got the die's already. Thanks for the heads up!

D

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Hey Drano,

Thanks for the response. Do you usually do rivet work while the ramp is still in the machine or do you take it out (ie. de-solder the switch and flasher socket)?

I took a look at the rivet press. Seems like a pricey option, but, I guess if you do enough of it, then it's worthwhile. Did you get the pre-built rivet press or the kit? It sounds like shipping the press alone will be over a $100. The site also talks about building your own, using the kit. I've found an arbor press on sale at Princess Auto for $49, which looks like it will work as the base.

Thanks,
Ed

Hi Ed,
I bought the whole assembly. I'd love to have saved a few bucks but I simply don't have the time to build one. Same issue with my rotisseries; just bought them.
I did have it shipped to a U.S. address and at least saved a ton of money that way... and the dollar was at par :D

As for how. Ramps and plastics must be removed. Even then I found that the dies that come standard are often not enough to reach into some areas. I had to buy the extended dies to be able to do more complicated riveting.
Most modern ramps come off pretty easily and flashers and switches normally have molex connectors under the playfield and can be easily disconnected and pulled up through the playfield along with the ramp. Otherwise, you can also just unscrew the switches from the ramps.

Pinbits sells rivet substitutes that you can press on, but I don't recommend them.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

FastEd

Sep 5, 2014
Toronto
Thanks again for the reply Drano.

I shall cautiously proceed in removing the ramps and drilling out the rivets. Fortunately, I'm planning on replacing the ramps, so, not too concerned if I mess up badly. I'm going to practice putting the rivets back on to the old ramps.

I'm going to go pick up the arbor press tonight (unless Menace bought them all out!) and see if I can order the rivet press kit.

All I can say is that my workshop is getting more and more crowded!