• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Ripley's Believe it or not flippers sticking

Haelryan

Oct 2, 2013
CLgary
Hello, just brought home my first pin, a stern ripley's believe it or not. It appears to be in very nice shape but today after a few games the upper right flipper was sticking and then about 5 minutes later the lower left flipper also started sticking. I am new to the hobby, any advice on what the issue is and how best to fix it?

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
start by checking to see if the coils are hot after a few minutes of play. If that's the case, they're swelling and making the sleeve constrict, causing binding. Also see how freely they move by hand.

Haelryan

Oct 2, 2013
CLgary
If the coils are getting hot does that mean they should be replaced? Turns out one of the flipper return springs snapped and i was able to fix it until i get a replacement, upper flipper started working as normal after being off for a few minutes while i did the repair on the lower flipper.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Haelryan said:
If the coils are getting hot does that mean they should be replaced?

Only if the coil is swollen otherwise replacing with a new coil is going to do the same thing. You would need to locate the source of the problem first and check obviously things like the EOS switch to make sure it works properly and has the correct gap when the flipper is up. In regards to ordering parts I'd recommend Pinball Life first because their customer service and selection is great and they get orders out very fast for a reasonable shipping rate via USPS too. What sucks is you may or may not get dinged by Canada customs depending on the physical size or total $ amount. I usually try to order a few other things before I place my order for common parts you may need in the future such as additional coil sleeves, fuses, bulbs, rubbers, etc...

luch

Nov 18, 2012
Newmarket
www.topl.ca
Had this similar problem on one of my machines . You have to check the up and down play of the flipper . Do this by grabbing the flipper and lift straight up there should be some play of about 1/8 th inch up and down . If not you need to loosen the flipper shaft and give it more play .

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
luch said:
Do this by grabbing the flipper and lift straight up there should be some play of about 1/8 th inch up and down.

The general rule of thumb for the flipper gap is about two business cards if you don't have one of these flipper gap tools

9058876_orig.jpg

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
mwong168 said:
You would need to locate the source of the problem first and check obviously things like the EOS switch to make sure it works properly

Newer Sterns don't have EOS switches. :FP:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qileP4bAzek[/youtube]

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
REVOLUTION said:
mwong168 said:
You would need to locate the source of the problem first and check obviously things like the EOS switch to make sure it works properly

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qileP4bAzek[/youtube]

Since when? I honestly haven't really looked lately but I know LOTR and TSPP have them and RBION is from the same era.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
REVOLUTION said:

Ripley's is not a newer Stern :FP:

DSC_1357.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if my Tron didn't have EOS switches because it is all part of cost cutting for Stern.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
My money is on the gap of the flipper and the bushing needing adjustment, it's a common problem with Sterns, had 3 games go bad at Luch's place last TOPL with the exact same problem, adjust the play against the bushing and the problem went away.

Slam_Tilt

Nov 20, 2012
Brampton
Vengeance said:
My money is on the gap of the flipper and the bushing needing adjustment, it's a common problem with Sterns, had 3 games go bad at Luch's place last TOPL with the exact same problem, adjust the play against the bushing and the problem went away.

Should be first thing to check when getting a new Stern. Half the time the flippers are tight right from the factory.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Agreed. Flipper bushing gap is very important, and while too small a gap is an issue having too large of a gap is just as bad. The main thing to determine when having a flipper issue is where to start looking, and to do this you need to figure out if the issue is mechanical or electrical. You do this by turning the game off as soon as the flipper gets stuck in the flipped position. If the flipper stays in the up position, it's a mechanical issue and if the flipper falls back to rest it's electrical.

Now the only time the mechanical / electrical issues cross paths is the EOS. It's a mechanical switch but when mis-adjusted / dirty or broken, it's the electrical side that swells the coil over time and creating a mechanical problem. :)

D

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
REVOLUTION said:
yeah the whole "bushings" explanation doesn't really jive if it plays fine for the first few minutes after being off for a bit.. does it?

Anything is possible. If there is any sort of friction due to incorrect bushing gap (being too small or large) this can happen.

D

Haelryan

Oct 2, 2013
CLgary
Thanks everyone for the responses learning a lot and will update if i am able to confirm what the issue was, for the time being its back to working.