• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Playfield touch up - Zaccaria Farfalla

G

Wow!
Just WOW!!!!
Great clear job! The colors just looks amazing under the clear!!!

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Menace said:
Yep, Drano did the CC and touchup job on his own. Wish I had the talent to do that on my own...

Wow looks great. In the pictures it appears like he has access to a great facility. It looks like there are racks in the background for stacking playfields on which I why I was wondering if this was done somewhere that does this type of thing all the time.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Thanks Guys.

That's the shop at my work Ben. We have a world class finishing facility... which, I am very happy to use when needed :D
I do all the touch-ups at home and bring the playfields there so I can use the equipment. I just pay for materials... Which isn't cheap. The only hassle is that I need to clearcoat between each colour I repair, so there is a lot of back and forth.

I'll post some pics of my C37 playfield soon. It was done around the same time as Farfalla, but I just finished reassembling it. Farfalla is next up for re-assembly and then I will get started on a larger DMD project... most likely my Cactus Canyon. I've been looking forward to that one for almost a year!

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
DRANO said:
That's the shop at my work Ben. We have a world class finishing facility... which, I am very happy to use when needed :D

Looks like the perfect place to do this kind of work. Having the right tools for the job is half the battle I'm sure.

DRANO said:
The only hassle is that I need to clearcoat between each colour I repair, so there is a lot of back and forth.

Why is it that you need to clear in between each colour? Is that to keep the colours from bleeding together and make it easier for masking things off without fear of pulling any paint? Also, how long do you wait in between coats before painting the next colour?

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
It's a great shop for sure. Very blessed to have access to it.

The reason I apply clear over each colour is because I'm airbrushing acrylics. They are not very durbale and can easily be scratched off or peeled.
With so much work being doen with frisket masking, I'd have to stick frisket over freshly painted areas to do the next one. It would peel the first colour right off the playfield. If I'm working in areas that are far away from each other, I can do maybe 2 or 3 repairs or colours before shooting some clear. It all depends on the particular playfield.

Once sealed, I sand down each layer so that I don't have a half inch of build-up by the end :D
The last few coats (once art is done) just get a light scuff sanding to make the next coat grab. The end result is maybe 1/16" of topcoat.

I have a fun project that I did recently on a Stern Cheetah. It requires tons of layering. I'll start posting it today and you can see some of the process.

Also, this old thread of a TAF restore I did has a lot of good info. Not sure why the pics aren't showing, but you can click on the links.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=129&hilit=taf#p793