• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Pinfest/Allentown 2015 dates

dnewman

Oct 29, 2013
Newmarket
How early do you have to book hotel rooms for this? Are there any hotels that are better than others for proximity to Pinfest?

monty

Jul 30, 2014
Ottawa
How early do you have to book hotel rooms for this? Are there any hotels that are better than others for proximity to Pinfest?

this is my first year going and a lot of people mentioned Comfort Suites is the spot. looks like it's only a few minutes away from the fest.

in previous years the festival organizers reserved a block of rooms and offered a discounted rate. i've gone ahead and booked in any event.

http://www.comfortsuites.com/hotel-allentown-pennsylvania-PA117

Hammerhead

Nov 16, 2012
Melbourne
I booked my room for Allentown last night. I was told that if a block of rooms is booked at a reduced rate, call and they'll honour that reduced rate.

As for Replayfx, the only thing I hate is the timing. Civic holiday long weekend? Who wants to be inside playing pinball in the middle of summer, no less on a long weekend? Me I guess since I'm going :rolleyes:

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Forget Pinfest

Replay Festival is gonna be THE show of 2015

http://replayfx.org

Anand it's like 3 hours closer driving distance

If you're the type of person that goes to show specifically to play and compete, I would totally agree with you Adam. (which is why you feel it's THE show of 2015) Where I don't enjoy competative pinball personally, I don't feel the same way about this show as you. I'm going to A-town this year, but Im ONLY going for the comrodery between friends (road trips are awesome), and nothing more. Personally, I find Expo the best of the lot due to the seminars, the 24hr free play and the location with it being in the hotel. (and a very nice one at that)

To each is own is all I'm saying. :)

D

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
If you're the type of person that goes to show specifically to play and compete, I would totally agree with you Adam. (which is why you feel it's THE show of 2015) Where I don't enjoy competative pinball personally, I don't feel the same way about this show as you. I'm going to A-town this year, but Im ONLY going for the comrodery between friends (road trips are awesome), and nothing more. Personally, I find Expo the best of the lot due to the seminars, the 24hr free play and the location with it being in the hotel. (and a very nice one at that)

To each is own is all I'm saying. :)

D

Then why not take your road trip 3 hours closer and go to replay Festival? :)

The point I'm trying to hammer home is Reaply FX is not a tournament, it is a festival, that celebrates everything gaming. From console, board game, pinball and arcade. The tournament is such a small portion of what this is going to be.

There will be vendors, games for sale, parts, everything that Pinfest is offering, and then 10x more that with things like this crazy crap:

10429417_659673540780914_8610885068073214751_n.jpg

Hell they drove up to Toronto just to buy this for the show:

1536595_747414532006814_5635218822721718937_n.jpg

My point being, what they are trying to create goes beyond anything the hobby has ever seen before, and I can't express enough how this just isn't another tournament. The 700 players playing in Pinburgh are a drop in the bucket. If this thing doesn't see into the thousands, and thousands for attendance, we'll never see it again.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Alright fellas. Trip to Allentown is off. Adam said so. See y'all at ReplayFX, I guess.

o_O

Look all I'm saying is most people don't have the resources or time to go to everything

There is nothing wrong with Pinfest, it's not like the organizer is here trying to premote his event and I'm shitting all over it.

All I'm trying to do is raise awareness for something that will be game changing for this hobby if it succeeds. It's pretty clear most people still think of it as nothing more then a tournament.

If you want more of the same, same location, same experience, same thing year after year, with no lasting changes to the hobby, stick with pinfest

If you want to participate in something that could very literally change the face of our hobby, think about attending Replay FX , that's it, that's all.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
yes what Adam said , plus I think he owns the show . more people more money !

I know the people involved, Mark, Kevin, Bowen, these are good people with nothing but good intentions for the hobby and they are taking a HUGE risk to try and accomplish what they are trying to accomplish.

I believe in what they are trying to do, I'm just trying to impress upon my little source of the local community to take a second look at Replay FX and possibly put your travel dollars toward something that could really be amazing! (If it works)

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Will ReplayFX have the outdoor fleamarket that Pinfest has? From the discussions I've had with many of the die-hard Pinfest attendee's, that is the major draw for this show but not the only reason to attend.

It's good to see there are more aspects of Replay to draw attendance, and i hope the show is a huge success. I've been talking to a collector friend of mine that lives in Pittsburgh, and it sounds like a pretty big deal. (and yes, he's trying to convince me to attend as well) I would go but it's not in the cards for me this year.

D

monty

Jul 30, 2014
Ottawa
i'd like to go to both but with Pinburgh sold out it just isn't worth it for me to go to ReplayFX for the show alone. i am just getting into tournament play, but would like to do it next year. the match play element appeals to me way more than a qualifying style tourney (despite the hours involved).

the flea market element of Pinfest is pretty attractive and a big reason on why i'm going, weak CAD $ be damned!

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
If I could ever have a man crush it would be on Kevin Martin. We as a community are lucky to have him, his generosity to pinball is nothing short of amazing. I don't know a single person, competitor or not, who has visited the PAPA facility and not been absolutely floored by the experience.

He is now taking that experience and turning the knob to 11, I've talked to Mark about it, privately when he was just in the planning phase and it's going to be nothing short of spectacular.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Will ReplayFX have the outdoor fleamarket that Pinfest has? From the discussions I've had with many of the die-hard Pinfest attendee's, that is the major draw for this show but not the only reason to attend.

It's good to see there are more aspects of Replay to draw attendance, and i hope the show is a huge success. I've been talking to a collector friend of mine that lives in Pittsburgh, and it sounds like a pretty big deal. (and yes, he's trying to convince me to attend as well) I would go but it's not in the cards for me this year.

D

It won't have the tailgate feel of pinfest I'm sure.

But as an example to ensure they are getting quality vendors they are only charging a vendor of $42, riculously cheap. the logic being that then they can pick and choose the right vendors for the event, rather then the ones who can pay to be in the main hall.

Machines will be for sale on the floor as per your usual show

and were talking 100,000 Sq Ft of real estate to use for this so the vendors who fleamarket at Pinfest will be able to do something similar at Replay FX if they choose to, but just indoors.