• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Pinburgh FULL!

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
400 Players at $175 a pop = an easy $70K!

Sold out in 2 hours when the registration went live!

Competitive pinball is alive and well that is for dam sure!

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
Vengeance said:
400 Players at $175 a pop = an easy $70K!

Sold out in 2 hours when the registration went live!

Competitive pinball is alive and well that is for dam sure!

Yeah, real easy $70k.
All you have to do is spend millions on a facility :)

Player #105

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
SquidVicious said:
70K take ,,, 60K in prizes ... 10K in admin fees

Not saying it's pure profit, pretty sure PAPA operates as a non-profit, but how often does any pinball event, or product sell out that quickly that costs that much.

Just speaks volumes for the quality of event that PAPA puts on year after year.

Every year they have raised the cost of the event and every year it has sold out in less and less time.

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Vengeance said:
SquidVicious said:

Not saying it's pure profit, pretty sure PAPA operates as a non-profit, but how often does any pinball event, or product sell out that quickly that costs that much.

Just speaks volumes for the quality of event that PAPA puts on year after year.

Every year they have raised the cost of the event and every year it has sold out in less and less time.

Actually close they did not raise the price in the first two years it stayed at $100 then last year the jump to $150 and then again this year to $175.

Previously all the collected monies went into the prize pool and the coin drop went to charity .. but certianly it is the most succesful pin tournament in the world as far as the money raised and the speed of it (this is only in the past two years as last year was originally limited to 300 but that filled up so quick they added the D division and moved the number up to 400) ... There is no other tournament to compare it to as no one else charges $175 but the fact it has sold out as quickly as it has does speak volumes to the quality I think.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
SquidVicious said:
There is no other tournament to compare it to as no one else charges $175 but the fact it has sold out as quickly as it has does speak volumes to the quality I think.

IFPA World champs are $250 to enter.

But seeing as spots are guaranteed there is no reason to sign up quickly.

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Vengeance said:
SquidVicious said:
There is no other tournament to compare it to as no one else charges $175 but the fact it has sold out as quickly as it has does speak volumes to the quality I think.

IFPA World champs are $250 to enter.

But seeing as spots are guaranteed there is no reason to sign up quickly.

Wasn't aware of the costs ... just missed the cutoff for that one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
SquidVicious said:

How does PAPA stay alive? $10k in admin fees for pinburgh, I'm assuming something comparable for the other tournament. What other income do they have? or is it none?

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
frolic said:
How does PAPA stay alive? $10k in admin fees for pinburgh, I'm assuming something comparable for the other tournament. What other income do they have? or is it none?

Through the generosity of Kevin Martin.

Kevin is the only reason PAPA exists, I think at this point now the 10K will cover the operating costs, trophies, staff, and expenses.

But Kevin picks up any slack when necessary.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
That's pretty awesome. We (the pinball world) are lucky to have him. Even though I'll never get to see PAPA myself, it's great it is there.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Also, sounds like they could/should raise the entrance fees significantly, until the price the market can bare is found and entries level off. Should raise prize money significantly.

purpledrillmonkey

Feb 19, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Whew glad i signed up right away. Player #300

Had an amazingly good time last year and looking forward to this year. Hope to meet even more people and have even more stories to tell!

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Williams Fan said:
They should raise the entry fees to $500 per person and up the prize money to keep out the riff raff :D

Raise it to $500 and then we will see.
I will just watch for another year.
In due course, a reckoning...

Good luck to everyone!
Not for me this year. Too busy.

I hope the Canadians completely kick *ss!

All the best to everyone playing!

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
It's pretty amazing that it sold out that quickly-good luck to all who are going! Sounds like a great time-I really need to make it down there one of these years.