• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

O/T Wii U. Hands on better than expected.

necro_nemesis

Nov 20, 2012
Newmarket, Ontario. Canada
The geek in me forced me to acquire a Wii U last week to play around with. I'm a hardcore Xbox 360 supporter and never had any interest in the Wii but looking at what the Wii U could do from a hardward standpoint it was gadgety enough to grab my attention and now after playing with it I found it's surprisingly good as an entertainment centre and web browser. I never really looked at it from this perspective but after plugging in all my data for Wii TVii and Netflix apps then playing with HTML 5 capable Opera based browser I found there was some very robust coding there that made great use of the gamepad even at these very initial stages of the system. Wii U has gone the way of everyone else with an app store and it's really early in the game for this piece of hardware but other than the controller being the size of a bus, I'd say it's got potential. Thus far the only criticism I have is with Wii Home load times but I'd like to hear if anyone else is tinkering with the box and what they are finding. Here is a video showing how the gamepad is being integrated in gameplay. For moving maps and equipping characters on the fly it could be a real asset IMHO. I wouldn't say there is a must have game for the system as of yet and they have definitely catered to cross platform development with the controller layout but it's likely there will be some games, likely first party, in the Wii U future that you simply can't do without that second Wii U touchscreen available to you. Even a pinball emulator where the table is on the main screen and dot matrix on the pad is an example of how this dual screen system could enhance gameplay.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKoz-4zhvx8[/youtube]