• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

No longer required -please delete

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Re: Needed: pin hauled from Madison, Wisconsin back to Toron

I think Warlock offers a discount on pin transport if you are ok with a tarp, skateboard and rope tow service.

What game did you find in Wisconsin?

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga

Not exactly your usual "anyone heading to Montreal?" Thread :lol:
There's a centaur I want in California.... Anyone? Anyone? C'mon

But seriously...
Doubt I'd be grabbing anything in the US these days unless it was uber rare or a steal.
After the shitty exchange, transport and HST, you could be adding 25%-40% to the purchase price.

Good luck though!

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot

DRANO said:
After the shitty exchange, transport and HST, you could be adding 25%-40% to the purchase price.

Hasn't stopped Chambahz before, why would it now? :lol:

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont

I'll do it for $700 plus whatever customs charges to get it back across the border.

Chambahz

Dec 15, 2012
East York, Toronto

Once again, distance kills the deal.
$5,300 listed for a HUO mint Xmen LE.
Do the math. Great deal even if you added taxes and exchange if it weren't for the distance.
Hence the reason I made the post. Might as well ask.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough

RE: Xmen
SB Toronto still has pro's in stock. Tournament - used lightly or NIB, or both maybe.
$5k plus tax is $5650 for a pro. (Ask Vengeance - he thinks gameplay is better on the pro)
For a keeper pin, perhaps consider an LE. You are over $6500 likely to get it from Wisconsin to here.

John Greatwich has one on the east coast for $6k + shipping. (with new pf?)
The window is closing on this pin.
Prime reason why you can't get a Xmen pro for under $5k in Canada or an LE for under $7k once John's is sold.

Great pin, but not for everyone.
Good luck.

PS:
lol @ Wong's humour on pin transport.
James (Grauwulf) makes a reasonable offer on "personal" transport.

Chambahz

Dec 15, 2012
East York, Toronto

Thanks Warlock.
I chatted with John about his for $6k. If someone had the knowledge and time/space to do a PF swap, it's a great deal. That's not me though. There's a few things that warrant the new PF if you're fussy.
You may be right about the future pricing. Tough to say though so right now, unless I can get a solid deal on one, I'll keep looking for a deal like the one in Wisconsin. I think an LE is a safe buy at $6500 currently but am not confident you could get too much more. Plus, you can still get a NIB in the low $7k range.

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012
Oakville, Ontario, Canada

Chambahz said:
Thanks Warlock.
I chatted with John about his for $6k. If someone had the knowledge and time/space to do a PF swap, it's a great deal. That's not me though. There's a few things that warrant the new PF if you're fussy.
You may be right about the future pricing. Tough to say though so right now, unless I can get a solid deal on one, I'll keep looking for a deal like the one in Wisconsin. I think an LE is a safe buy at $6500 currently but am not confident you could get too much more. Plus, you can still get a NIB in the low $7k range.

Really this is what you are looking at

5,300 + 12% for exchange is 5936 + 13% at the border is 6707 you can't really expect zero shipping so you are looking at 7K or so all in

Not bad but not a killer deal .. basically the same price that Drano is asking for his and it's local so you can look at it before buying

Chambahz

Dec 15, 2012
East York, Toronto

Wow -didn't realize the exchange had busted 10% again. I expect I could convert for 10% before too long without too much trouble though. At 10%, it's $5,300 USD = $5,830 x 13% = $6,587.
Of course, transport quickly eats up the savings.
Well, it would appear the seller would have to be talked down to cover at least part of the transport costs -or take it to the upcoming show for someone else to bring it back from there on the cheap.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto

Chambahz said:
If someone had the knowledge and time/space to do a PF swap, it's a great deal. That's not me though. There's a few things that warrant the new PF if you're fussy.

No offense Chambahz but you don't keep a game long enough to justify a PF swap :p

Unless it is a rare or hard to find title it just isn't worth bringing a game in from the US. You should know this by now as your SM and Avengers LE (blue) were bought from the US. I think you Avengers was around $5800usd and by the time you factored in exchange, taxes and shipping you were just a bit under $7000cdn to your door. It's too bad before you went this US route that a few local collectors who purchased their NIB Hulk LE realized what a turd the game was. They were too stubborn and dead set on $7200 and turned down your $7100 solid offer. Funny thing was months later after you sold your Avengers LE they ended up only getting $6000-6500 for their Hulk LE :FP:

Anyways, my advice Chambahz is if you really like XMLE and willing to spend close to $7k then work something out with Drano. It is truly plug and play as all the essential mods such as pinbits plastic protectors, mirror blades, white rubbers, ramp post mods, custom cut mylar for high traffic areas, mantis protector, t-molding and I believe he installed a shaker too?

Chambahz

Dec 15, 2012
East York, Toronto

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.
Mike: only the SM was from the USA. Avengers was NIB from Starburst.
Similar situation to the Xmen in that someone local was trying to sell one, and was set on their price. Starburst had a few left, and their NIB price was nearly the same as the HUO that was for sale.
No point in buying HUO when you can have NIB instead.
Either way, if I can find a HUO for $6,500, I might take the plunge but at $7,000, I think I'd have to take a $500 hit on resale.
Not worth it given my track record of tiring of a new game and flipping it.
The title might climb in value with the new code, but with all the new games being released, I don't think that's a given.
Pretty risky to pay $7,000 for a game that's been listed on here for a year IMO so I'm hunting for a better deal.

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012
Oakville, Ontario, Canada

Chambahz said:
Wow -didn't realize the exchange had busted 10% again. I expect I could convert for 10% before too long without too much trouble though. At 10%, it's $5,300 USD = $5,830 x 13% = $6,587.
Of course, transport quickly eats up the savings.
Well, it would appear the seller would have to be talked down to cover at least part of the transport costs -or take it to the upcoming show for someone else to bring it back from there on the cheap.

I work in the industry I don't think you'll see non-commerical rates below 1.10 for awhile (but it is a market and I've been wrong before) ... that being said if you are in no hurry than maybe in the next 6 - 12 months you might see sub 1.10.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora

Chambahz said:
Thanks Warlock.

Here's what I would do... Buy John's game with the extra PF and play the bejesus out of it. If after playing it into the ground you feel it's an absolute keeper, hire me to do the PF swap. If not, sell the game with the extra PF and be glad you saved yourself the cash and agony trying to get the one from WI to your door.

D

Chambahz

Dec 15, 2012
East York, Toronto

Thank guys! I appreciate all the advice.
If anyone's going to Wisconsin, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll hold off to see what happens with pricing on this one.
I'm not in love with $7,000 or $6,000 requiring a PF swap so I'll have to go without for now.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga

I obviously have a horse in this race so I'll keep my comments as short and simple as I can without overstating what's already been said dozens of times.

My number was arrived at with some pretty good calculating on what it would cost to get a game from the US at "current market value". I think that is evident.

As Dan points out! not many people are getting USD for much less than $1.12 right now... forget what the internet says.

A local NIB might be around the same price (assuming LE are still available), but it will not have the $300-$500 worth of extras that a collector's HUO example might have. Also, some of these games had issues from factory. Mine was not one of them.

Yes, I originally posted the game FS about a year ago. A lot has changed since then.
I could have gotten rid of it 5 times in that period if I REALLY wanted to... but I'm not willing to sell the game short either. I know it's a fun game with a lot to offer and mine is an excellent example.

I've learned a lot since I was a noob in this hobby. Some of those things include: don't always buy a cheap 'beater' and restore yourself thinking that you'll spend less. In all likelihood, you will spend more. And, don't import a game that appears to be a bargain when there is one in your backyard for a negligible difference. In both cases, a lot more work than it's worth and the law of diminishing returns kicks in really fast.

All this being said, XMLE is getting a lot more play in my lineup right now than anything else.
Go figure :cool:

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga

REVOLUTION said:
FWIW, Starburst still has Wolverines and Magnetos in stock NIB.

Just curious. What are these going for now Brock?