• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Next ColorDMD Batch available...

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
MB_monsters_BIS.jpg

ColorDMDs Back In Stock August 22!

Our August production run of color displays is ready and will be available for purchase on August 22 (around 8am PDT)! Displays ship with the SIGMA advanced single color ROM and can be updated using a USB flash drive to any of the supported multicolor ROMS on our website (AFM, MM, TAF, STTNG, WH2O, SS, and the new color ROM release for Monster Bash)!

The MB color ROM will be available for download from our site on Saturday, August 24!

These usually sell out within a day or two when they are available and can be ordered directly off colordmd.com otherwise Bay Area Amusements carries them and you can order some other pinball parts as well to save a bit on shipping.

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Is there an official consensus on the board about these?

Obviously if your DMD is gassed out or otherwise pooched, it's a no brainer. But I've got two games on that list with solid displays and I'm having a hard time justifying the cost. I got to play a AFM with a colourDMD a while back...it looked cool, but maybe not $400 plus taxes cool.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Looks like Mad Amusements is the cheapest place online that sells standard plasma DMD's for $159.00 but sometimes getting your order from them could be challenging if you are on their black list.

http://mad-amusements.com/product.php?id_product=236

DMD prices on other sites like Bay Area Amusments and Marco went up to $220-249 since plasma displays are going to be discontinued.

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/ ... I-128X32BK
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/DMD32

I personally have a ColorDMD in my STTNG and I think it is a great addition and enhancement to the game. Also with their latest SIGMA firmware it allows you to install a ColorDMD display in almost any game B/W or Stern and run in the following modes in a single color:

SIGMA_Comparison.jpg

Here are some samples of SIGMA shown in TSPP and LOTR and a video of it in action on IJ (Wms)

1012399_655054984523494_2006163121_n.jpg

1002281_654292497933076_754247323_n.jpg

578374_654525521243107_444148036_n.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fheXXC5yAHI[/youtube]

It is not a cheap mod but look at it this way, swapping out a game in your collection with a ColorDMD leaves you with a spare plasma DMD for another game in the future because they won't last forever. Once the plasma DMDs are no longer available you other alternative would be the X-Pin LED DMD Display which start at $279.00. So at this price point you are not that far away from a ColorDMD which I hope will come down in costs for the future since more people will be buying them. I also tried to contact them for a small discount as I knew 5 other people who wanted a STTNG ColorDMD at the time but they politely declined. I don't blame them since there is no other alternatives and they have been sold out pretty quickly each batch so clearly there is a demand. It's a quality product and you can check my other thread here on how well together the kit is put together and install was super easy.

STTNG ColorDMD Install

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
If I'd managed to hang onto my wh20, I was gonna order a color dmd for it, as it looked amazing in Allentown. Just think of it this way. You pull the regular dmd and hang onto it as a spare for when one inevitably goes.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
I notice their commas in the scores has been improved in their upscale videos. Before they used to look like dots, which made the scores look bad.

Anyone have video of more tspp with this?

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
They are certainly popular. Since I'm on the fence, maybe I'll hold off 'til the sharks have finished their feeding frenzy...then maybe we can get a group buy going.

My wife watched the Addams Family colourDMD video earlier today, but I'm sure it went in one ear and out the other, rather than being stored in the "possible Christmas gifts for Spiroagnew" memory bank. Can't complain I suppose...she got me an "Uncle Lester" for my birthday before the game had even arrived.