• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

My first full shop job ... WH20 (VUK Misfiring issue)

level42

Nov 15, 2012
Kitchener, ON
ultra64.ca
So, last night I got this mega urge to install my new cliffys in my WhiteWater, one thing led to another, and noticing some dirt here an there, next thing I know, my entire machine was in pieces ...

Daunting at first, but once I started to get this really really cleaned, it makes it all worth while.

Here are a few pictures I snapped during the process. I'd say I'm about 40% complete.

Gallery: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yytj4zi8v6zz19y/h14SYDXV8F

Photo%2011-18-12%2C%201%2020%2002%20PM.jpg

Photo%2011-18-12%2C%201%2037%2045%20PM.jpg

Photo%2011-18-12%2C%201%2049%2055%20PM.jpg

Photo%2011-18-12%2C%204%2004%2027%20PM.jpg

Photo%2011-18-12%2C%204%2012%2032%20PM.jpg

Photo%2011-18-12%2C%204%2025%2052%20PM%20%28HDR%29.jpg

Photo%2011-18-12%2C%208%2034%2025%20PM%20%28HDR%29.jpg

Photo%2011-18-12%2C%208%2034%2034%20PM.jpg

Photo%2011-18-12%2C%208%2034%2050%20PM.jpg

Photo%2011-18-12%2C%208%2035%2001%20PM.jpg

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Re: My first full shop job ... WH20

Good stuff Jeff and hope you found my advice helpful yesterday when you text me regarding how to remove the ball trails when I said buy a new Mirco repro pf :lol: I don't even wanna see what's under my upper wh20 pf but will be doing a full shop or tear down restore of it towards the end of winter when I can also freshen up my cab with new decals too.

level42

Nov 15, 2012
Kitchener, ON
ultra64.ca

So I guess you bought the set of decals. LOL ... let me know if you need any help, I'm pretty experienced with this now :p.

Also, I'm on the lookout for a Topper, if you find one, let me know.

ALSO!, where can I buy pinball hardware? Wood Hex screws, metal machined screws etc ... My WH20 uses such mishmesh hardware its a joke.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON

ALSO!, where can I buy pinball hardware? Wood Hex screws, metal machined screws etc ... My WH20 uses such mishmesh hardware its a joke.

You should be able to get everything from pinball life. You can also try matching up at Home Depot for common stuff though.

level42

Nov 15, 2012
Kitchener, ON
ultra64.ca

Chris Bardon said:

You should be able to get everything from pinball life. You can also try matching up at Home Depot for common stuff though.

I tried there, but it ended up being a disasterous waste of my time. I'm thinking Brafasco might have them.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora

Ahhh good 'ole Wh20. You're doing a fine job Jeff, and I'm sure you'll find that the shop job on this game is nowhere near as bad as it looks. I was surprised at how easy it was, as the game is ALL ramps. Novus 2 will be your friend to get those ball trails out of the PF. I swear that Wong character is secretly working for the parts and game suppliers, such an enabler!

As for the hardware, the only place I've managed to find the correct hex screws is from a place on-line called Tom's Hardware as I struck out everywhere local years ago. I ordered a bag of each length hex screws (long for all PF brackets and short for lamps).

It's looking pretty good so far btw.

D

level42

Nov 15, 2012
Kitchener, ON
ultra64.ca

Menace said:
Ahhh good 'ole Wh20. You're doing a fine job Jeff, and I'm sure you'll find that the shop job on this game is nowhere near as bad as it looks. I was surprised at how easy it was, as the game is ALL ramps. Novus 2 will be your friend to get those ball trails out of the PF. I swear that Wong character is secretly working for the parts and game suppliers, such an enabler!

As for the hardware, the only place I've managed to find the correct hex screws is from a place on-line called Tom's Hardware as I struck out everywhere local years ago. I ordered a bag of each length hex screws (long for all PF brackets and short for lamps).

It's looking pretty good so far btw.

D

Appreciate the comments, as for the ball trails, no matter how much novus I use, I can't seem to lift the ball trails. I guess after a certain point it just becomes ingrained into the wood. They are a lot less visible, but, there still there. As for the hardware, I will definitely check out Tom's Hardware, but can someone confirm the correct size that I need?

Thanks.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON

I bought a bunch of spare hardware for a Wh20 a while back, I'm sure it contains a ton of screws, you are more then welcome to drop by sometime and grab what you might need, I assume it can't be that much, just let me know.

As for the bail trails, I've had good success with the polish kit from treasure cove:

http://www.treasure-cove.net/BuyPolish.htm

when I do a full shop I always use this kit and it does a really nice job.

level42

Nov 15, 2012
Kitchener, ON
ultra64.ca

Vengeance said:
I bought a bunch of spare hardware for a Wh20 a while back, I'm sure it contains a ton of screws, you are more then welcome to drop by sometime and grab what you might need, I assume it can't be that much, just let me know.

As for the bail trails, I've had good success with the polish kit from treasure cove:

http://www.treasure-cove.net/BuyPolish.htm

when I do a full shop I always use this kit and it does a really nice job.

Really appreciate the offer, just that Keswic is a tad far to get a couple screws. I'll probably take Doug's suggestion and just order a box on line. If you have any other spare parts though, let me know, I need some targets, sling plastics and a few other odds and ends.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON

I've got all the targets spare, no spare slings tho, I do have a spare set, but I don't want to put them on my game till I restore it.

I'm out in Ancaster next week at BallyBoy's place for TOPL could bring it with me.

level42

Nov 15, 2012
Kitchener, ON
ultra64.ca

Vengeance said:
I've got all the targets spare, no spare slings tho, I do have a spare set, but I don't want to put them on my game till I restore it.

I'm out in Ancaster next week at BallyBoy's place for TOPL could bring it with me.

If it's not to much trouble, I can meet you just off the 401, somewhere around 410 area. Are they just targets or targets+switches? Either way, let me know what you want for them, and I might as well take some screws from you as well, Maybe 20 Hex wood screws, and 10 machined screws (The ones that go in the top of the posts.) As for the slings plastics, don't worry to much, I've found an online retailer that has them available for like $25.

PM me if this works for you and we can continue this discussion on the sidelines.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora

level42 said:
Maybe 20 Hex wood screws,

Make sure you identify which lengths you need! There are two common sizes used on all WMS games. The silver ones are for mech brackets and the brass / gold coloured ones are for lamp sockets only, as these are slightly shorter than the silver ones. You use a silver one in a lamp socket and you'll pop a nice hole in the top of your PF.

D

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga

Congrats on getting "under the hood". I chose White Water for my first true FULL bare bones ground up restore. See the progress here:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ ... g-back-now

I'm terrible at updating the thread, but when you see how rough my cabinet was you'll feel a lot better about your game :)
I'm just about to finish putting the final harness back on and then drop the playfield back in.

As for hardware, I found most everythign I needed at Marco's.
They had the screws with the built-in washer/flange, they also had the black Torx wood screws for the topper bubble and you'll need a few of those wood screws with the large domed head for holding down wireforms and connecting the bigfoot bluff ramp to the other ramp. Pretty sure Marco's had them all. I had to dig around, but there they were.
PBL was not so much help. I don't even think they stock the shorter brass coloured #6 hex screws used for light sockets.

Anyway, good luck with the shop and feel free to ask any questions. I have a whack of photos.

PS,
I got a Mirco playfield set and decided to fix the errors and re-clearcoat. It's somehwere in the pinside thread above.

Adriano

level42

Nov 15, 2012
Kitchener, ON
ultra64.ca

DRANO said:
Congrats on getting "under the hood". I chose White Water for my first true FULL bare bones ground up restore. See the progress here:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ ... g-back-now

I'm terrible at updating the thread, but when you see my cabinet you'll feel a lot better about your game :)
I'm just about to finish putting the final harness back on and then drop the playfield back in.

As for hardware, I found most everythign I needed at Marco's.
They had the screws with the built-in washer/flange, they also had the black Torx wood screws for the topper bubble and you'll need a few of those wood screws with the large domed head for holding down wireforms and connecting the bigfoot bluff ramp to the other ramp. Pretty sure Marco's had them all. I had to dig around, but there they were.
PBL was not so much help. I don't even think they stock the shorter brass coloured #6 hex screws used for light sockets.

Anyway, good luck with the shop and feel free to ask any questions. I have a whack of photos.

PS,
I got a Mirco playfield set and decided to fix the errors and re-clearcoat. It's somehwere in the pinside thread above.

Adriano

Fantastic work so far. I'm not doing a full restore, at least not yet, I'm very limited to time, space, and my work area :( but I would REALLY love to do a full 100% restore one day. For now I'm simply stripping to playfields, repairing a few stripped screw holes, and cleaning as much as I can. The domed screws you mentioned, I do need, and I'll hopefully order them soon. I've got a large order I'm in the process of building from MAD but its never finished.

On a side note, I'm still interested in the missing plastic, I've lost track of your thread on PinSide, but just wanted to remind you.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga

level42 said:
On a side note, I'm still interested in the missing plastic, I've lost track of your thread on PinSide, but just wanted to remind you.

Missing plastic is still in the works. I have all the parts necessary but just have been inundated with work. You are in the top 10 for sure if I remeber.
I'll have it out to you soon.

Restoration can be addictive... just like collecting.
I started with a shop job, then a partial tear-down and light cabinet refurb, then I did a 75% restore on my MM (left everythign connected under the playfield but did everythign else), now I'm ripping games apart ;)
It's therapeutic and nerve-racking at the same time.

level42

Nov 15, 2012
Kitchener, ON
ultra64.ca

DRANO said:
level42 said:

Missing plastic is still in the works. I have all the parts necessary but just have been inundated with work. You are in the top 10 for sure if I remeber.
I'll have it out to you soon.

Restoration can be addictive... just like collecting.
I started with a shop job, then a partial tear-down and light cabinet refurb, then I did a 75% restore on my MM (left everythign connected under the playfield but did everythign else), now I'm ripping games apart ;)
It's therapeutic and nerve-racking at the same time.

Well, I'd love to get to this point, but as long as my machine is in my parents bedroom, I'm very limited to what I can do to it ... It's bad enough I've stripped the PF and have parts all over the place.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora

DRANO said:
[Restoration can be addictive... just like collecting. It's therapeutic and nerve-racking at the same time.

This is EXACTLY why I do what I do, and why I enjoy fixing / restoring more than playing these things!

D

level42

Nov 15, 2012
Kitchener, ON
ultra64.ca

Completed the upper PF and began rebuilding ... I'm stuck now as I've run out of proper wood screws and have all the odd's and ends left ... I'm also in need of the small flat head Phillips screws used to hold down the ramps ... ugh ...

Anyway, here are a few more pictures from my first mini shop job.

(I'm wrapping this up quick because my mother is hosting a baby shower on Saturday and needs the basement to be put back in order)

Photo%2011-20-12%2C%209%2002%2002%20PM.jpg

Photo%2011-20-12%2C%209%2002%2010%20PM.jpg

Photo%2011-20-12%2C%209%2021%2006%20PM.jpg

Photo%2011-20-12%2C%2010%2004%2021%20PM.jpg

Photo%2011-20-12%2C%2011%2009%2012%20PM.jpg

Photo%2011-20-12%2C%2011%2009%2024%20PM.jpg

Photo%2011-20-12%2C%2011%2009%2036%20PM%20%28HDR%29.jpg

Photo%2011-20-12%2C%2011%2009%2049%20PM%20%28HDR%29.jpg

Photo%2011-20-12%2C%2011%2042%2005%20PM.jpg

Photo%2011-20-12%2C%2011%2042%2010%20PM.jpg

level42

Nov 15, 2012
Kitchener, ON
ultra64.ca

So, I finished reassembling my WhiteWater pinball and everything is FANTASTIC, clean, and working great. Except, my No Way Out VUK seems to be missfiring, and I can't figure out why.

Here is a video of my troubles:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vskn00xlRAQ[/youtube]

Any one have any ideas, I've already re-dismantled everything and put it all back together again, incase of an alignment issue. but still no go.

***Ignore the ball stuck at the very end, that issue has been resolved.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
It's hitting something on the way up that is causing it to rattle around.

Make sure that the plunger that is sending it up is mushroomed or damaged in some way. Also make sure that the ball is sitting in the correct spot when it kicks, if there is any wear to the assembly and the ball isn't sitting in the right spot, say there is some wear on the left of the right, it will cause the ball to not kick up properly.

Those would be my guesses.