• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

My first cabinet repair

Seven

Oct 6, 2015
Prince Edward Island
www.pinballorama.com
A few months back I bought a Rollergames. Overall it is in pretty good condition. Playfield is not bad, but the cabinet has seen better days.

It was on route somewhere and someone decided to take a crowbar to the coin door. The guy I bought it from replaced the coin door, but left the hole. He didn't care. The machine played fine with or without the hole.

I forgot to take a before picture with the hole, but it was pretty damaged. The wood was torn apart about halfway across to the leg on the back side of the plywood. At first I was going to cut out the section and replace it, but decided to try my hand at a fill type repair first. I figured if I screw it up, I can always cut that part out.

Going with the fill repair I could salvage more of the original paint since I could fill behind it.

I chipped out all the lose wood and glued and viced the front section together. Once that dried I screwed a metal plate on the back side. I masked off the original paint I wanted to try and save, then over filled with Minwax two part wood fill.

Once that dried I carefully sanded it down.

rollergames-front-before.jpg

I masked off the sections around the blue lines and the star and hit it with white paint. Once that dried I masked the design and hit the rest with black.

After that, I added a little blue and black around the edges of the design. It didn't have to be perfect (because the cabinet is kind of scuffed anyway) but I figured this would be better than just painting the missing sections of the design black.

For a quick and dirty repair, I think it came out pretty good.

rollergames-front-after.jpg

Reactions: CJBob and Menace