• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

My Container Games from Gerry

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Well,
Gerry seems to have gone on vacation this summer, but I just wanted to post and thank him again for the work it takes to bring much appreciated pinball stock to us from across the sea.

I had originally intended to set up my 3 container pins within a week or two of getting them. Well... I just finished setting up the last one yesterday night with the help of MWONG. Only a couple of months behind schedule :)
So... here's a rundown.

This was my 3rd experience in buying from Gerard's batch and my first time buying multiple games.
My first purchase was a Cactus Canyon around Xmas time last year. Then I got a Zaccaria Farfalla about a month or two later.
Both games showed up essentially working (with minor bugs) and in need of a good clean and possible restoration. Very happy with both.

On this last container I started out with a TOTAN, which had been on my long-time wishlist and a nice one appeared at a price I could stomach... so off I went.
Then I spotted a beautiful nearly unfaded Fish Tales with a stellar playfield. Even though I already had a decent one that I was planning to restore, this one offered the benefits of not having to do the cabinet unless I really wanted to, and no full playfield mylar to remove for clearcoating.
And lastly, one of the nicest original High Speed pins I'd ever seen also popped up on one of Gerry's links. It even had the original plastic topper above the beacon and a cabinet that looked near CQ! So, I had to bite.

With the help of Warlock, these games and others were liberated from La Belle Provence in due course and found their way into my new basement gameroom (in progress).

TALES OF THE ARABIAN NIGHTS was first to be set up.
Cabinet was decent. Not too faded and only slight flipper button rash. The head was nice and tight, really good trim; no complaints... even though this game is getting a full restore. The playfield had very little wear around the magnet and orb; Easily repaired. But, I also started to see quite a bit of the typical ghosting on many inserts that was not veru obvious online. I could touch up this playfield but, if I want it to be stellar, I'll probably wait for a CPR repro playfield and then restore the original at my liesure and sell it afterwards. It'll be an easier swap too!
The skill shot armament was cracked and the lamp base also had damage.... not to mention a bad scoop and some cracked plastics. I had to pay a quick visit to Mantis Amuesments for replacements. Luckily not too expensive. Overall, lots of mew parts will be needed. The wireform and other metal parts needed re-plating too.
I finally fire it up and a ton of errors pop up. Mostly swithces and whatnot... nothing too bothersome. I feed some balls, credit up the machine and, to my surprise, I manage to play a few solid games on it without any incedent. Mechanically, TOTAN is pretty sound, even though it's going to need a lot of love.

HIGH SPEED came a couple of weeks later after I got around to making some room.
I wiped a few years of grime and spilled beverages off the cabinet and it started to shine. The cab has barely a mark on it... I was in heaven. I did the necessary power conversion and fired it up. I knew from the pics that the displays were borked. I had a replacement set from XPIN ready to go. Installed them with no issue and the game greeted me in German with (what I can only assume is) a settings not saved error. The batteries were a bit cruddy (although not leaking) and when I removed them, the holder got cracked. So, I need to wire in a new remote holder soon.
I power through all the settings (in German of course) until it gets to the end; I add in some credits... the beacon lights up WOO HOO!
I press start and I hear the engine rev and a ball gets fed into the shooter.
Aside from missing rubbers on the slingshots and the fact that my shooter can't seem to hit the ramp dead on, the game plays great.
The playfield has full mylar, which is in pretty nice shape, and only minor playfield issues by the kickback and saucer. This will be a fun shop job!

And finally, FISH TALES last night.
This was one of the games I played a lot as a kid, along with TAF, T2 and NGG. I'd been wanting one for a while... got one... and then found this even nicer example. Mike was over last night to look at a Shadow I'm "holding" for him, and we decided to get FT on its legs and see what's what.
Again, a quick swap of the jumpers to the transfromer, new line fuse and a new N. American power cord, and we had life!
The game was cycling around looking for balls which we promptly added. I went into the menu and one error popped up: Time and Date not Set. Love it :)
Fixed that and also set to free play. Pressed start and we had ourself a game. Of course, these games never play smooth or perfectly. There is a lot to clean up, but FT seemed to be doing its thing with the exception of a sticky shooter lane switch.
The fish topper didn't flap... that later turned out to be a broken wire at the coil. And the reel also would not spin to allow locked balls. We cuold hear the motor turning fine, so I'm praying its just a broken drive belt (which I have all ready to install) and not a stripped gear. I'll take a closer look tonight but, overall, the game looks good. A new set of pincab protectors to hide some wrinkling art on the cab and a new plastic topper tub and she is looking right as rain.

Overall, pretty satisfied with all my games so far.
TOTAN will be the largest project, but then again, this game seems to have been eluding me. I guess it's only fitting that it make me wait even longer :)
I stripped a ton of parts off of it (along with pieces of my shadow and LOTR) and I just shipped them off to Mike Chestnut for brass plating.

Looks like I'll have a busy Fall/Winter ahead of me.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Excellent! I can only dream of having the time to work on my own restorations... Maybe next year I'll focus on that instead of everyone else's games! :D

D

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Menace said:
Excellent! I can only dream of having the time to work on my own restorations... Maybe next year I'll focus on that instead of everyone else's games! :D

D

You've got to set them up first!
Then they can stare at you accusingly... "Fix me Doug" :cry:

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I look forward to following your TOTAN restore which will get the same royal treatment as WH20 which turned out amazing! You have come a long way since we first started talking in Jan/Feb '12 with your collection exploding from 3-4 pins to 27-28 now. Your move to a new house was also an unexpected surprised as I know you mentioned to me at the very beginning it would be a few years before you would ever see the day to have all your pins under one roof and now it is quickly becoming a reality.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Congrats Drano! A long time, and a lot of effort spent searching has you finally with "almost all the pins" you were looking for.
Ready, set, Restore!

Chambahz

Dec 15, 2012
East York, Toronto
Sooo jealous. Having the knowledge and ability to fully restore these things.
Good on ya for fixings these pins. Now get cracking so we can buy them from you!
:)

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Well, I will say this.
The cost to restore a game to like new condition, or even to near CQ shape, is often the same as if I were to buy it already done... And that's not accounting for my time.
If I did not enjoy the work, it would definitely not be worth the trouble.
Guys like Chris Hutchins earn every penny they charge.

That being said, nobody is born knowing how to repair pins. It's taken me almost 8 years to get to this level of comfort around these games and I haven't even scratched the surface in many ways.
It's just a matter of time. If you want to learn, you will. The resources are plentiful and help is easy to obtain.

The reward of pulling a game from a container, cleaning it up and getting it working 100% is a great feeling.
I highly recommend it.

tkaye

Mar 17, 2013
Ancaster, On
Great post Drano!
I've found life getting in the way of restoring the TZ I bought from our last container. It's coming along but not quite there yet for me. Just got (I think) the last parts I need to finish reassembling the mini play field and then I can reinstall it along with the remaining plastics, gumball machine, clock and the ramps. Then I'll finish rebuilding the flippers (with Ballyboys help) and it should be good to go. Looks a million times better then when I first set it up now that I polished the shit out of the play field and led'd and rubbered it.

Thanks Gerry, Drano, Warlock & Ballyboy for everything!

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
tkaye said:
Great post Drano!
I've found life getting in the way of restoring the TZ I bought from our last container. It's coming along but not quite there yet for me. Just got (I think) the last parts I need to finish reassembling the mini play field and then I can reinstall it along with the remaining plastics, gumball machine, clock and the ramps. Then I'll finish rebuilding the flippers (with Ballyboys help) and it should be good to go. Looks a million times better then when I first set it up now that I polished the shit out of the play field and led'd and rubbered it.

Thanks Gerry, Drano, Warlock & Ballyboy for everything!

Always happens. Every project I take on seems to extend 2x-3x longer than I anticipated.

Did you opt for the micro switch kit for the upper playfield? It makes a huge difference visually. Together with all the Cliffy protectors, it's pretty slick!
Good luck!

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Soooo,
Had some time to play around with FT last night and repaired the broken wire to the topper and noticed that the reel was missing its drive belt.
Installed that and the game seems to be woring 100%... minus a few burnt bulbs.

It's a bit slow and dirty. But a nice shop job and cleanup should address most of that. It seems to play pretty nice considering.
Here are a few pics I snapped.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    534.9 KB · Views: 1,593
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    553.6 KB · Views: 1,593
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    611.2 KB · Views: 1,593

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Just a quick update, in case anyone is following along...

So I got a few minutes to work on High Speed the last couple of nights. Here's a list of the tweaks/fixes it needed:

-Removed old broken battery holder and soldered in a remote one with two pin connector (game now holds settings)
-Bent the shooter lane guide a touch and the ball now makes it up the ramp no problem
-Also replaced the shooter springs, sleeve and rubber tip. Much smoother now!
-Just gave the playfield a very quick cleanup to get rid of the big dirt and debris.
-Adjusted "dead" pop bumpers and made the switches more sensitive. Very lively now!
-Put in some new glass

The game plays great now, at least compared to what it was.
Flippers are strong but the locked ball kickers are a little underpowered. Probably just need new sleeves and a good cleaning.
I'm super excited as this game seemed to be pretty well written-off by the owner/operator and it needed very little to get going and is in excellent shape!

Attachments

• IMG_4419.JPG
    IMG_4419.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,534

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
There are probably a lot of people like me following. I like to read but rarely have anything of value to add so I stay quiet ;-) .

Sent from my Nexus 4

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
brad808 said:
There are probably a lot of people like me following. I like to read but rarely have anything of value to add so I stay quiet ;-) .

Sent from my Nexus 4
I say keep talking ;) Dialogue is always of value.
Even if you are not a regular poster, it helps others who may post more regularly feel like there is some value to what they are contributing and that it's being read.
It's sometimes sad to log in after a day or two and see how little traffic there is on the site, yet hundreds have joined and regularly follow.
I guess some people are afraid to post or, like you, feel they don't add value.
Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm all for more dialogue and more involved members. Keep it up.