• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

MMR Gameplay Video and Pics

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Just posted on the PP website:

Here we have the PROTO Medieval Madness Remake (MMR) in action at Chicago Gaming in (Cicero, Il, 12/17/2013) - game plays well and software is being fine-tuned as needed, but all gameplay is that of a Medieval Madness game! As we have consistently noted, the objective for the MMR is to look and play as an ‘original’ Medieval Madness plays, while updating/modernizing some of the electronics. Some minor cosmetic changes (copyright notices, and lack of WMS logo) as required by WMS Gaming License terms.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=voXTPK4BYIk[/youtube]

link: http://www.planetarypinball.com/category/mmr/

Attachments

• MMRCTRL.jpg
    MMRCTRL.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 372
  • MMRUNDER1.jpg
    MMRUNDER1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 372
  • MMRUNDER2.jpg
    MMRUNDER2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 372

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
It's using WMS parts so it should play pretty much the same.. except that you're playing with a brand new game, so it won't have that worn in, 20 year old game feel / smell to it. :D

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
REVOLUTION said:
It's using WMS parts so it should play pretty much the same.. except that you're playing with a brand new game, so it won't have that worn in, 20 year old game feel / smell to it. :D

I think most MM in private collections these days play pretty nice. I was playing it last night and it is a fast flowing game. Smells pretty good too ;)

I have to admit, the way they've done all the connections is pretty sweet. It'll make maintenance a breeze on most items.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
DRANO said:
I have to admit, the way they've done all the connections is pretty sweet. It'll make maintenance a breeze on most items.

That's great news, now sell me yours and buy a MMR :p

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
mwong168 said:
DRANO said:

That's great news, now sell me yours and buy a MMR :p

Eff that :lol:

The jury will be out on MMR for several years after its release. I want to see how these babies hold up over time.
I'm quite happy with my original. Especially when the current going rate for an original might be easily what a MMR will cost me anyway after taxes.

Attachments

• dos-equis-guy.jpg
    dos-equis-guy.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 330

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I'll give PP credit and props for pulling this off, as it's no small feat. Looks to me like the brain is a beagle board sandwiched to the main controller? I'd like to know where all of the switches and coil drives are routed, as I can't really tell in these pics, but it almost looks like the coil drives are direct to each breakout board but all the switches are connected to the honkin' PCB under the PF?

My biggest concern through all this is repair-ability. Where this is all SMT the majority of buyers will not have the tools or the techniques to repair this stuff and where they have moved everything from a central location in the head to basically all over the PF troubleshooting could prove to be a little more difficult. (I'm guessing they have had to change a few of the original design elements during this process potentially using more embedded systems along the way)

All in all it's neat and tidy, but only time will tell how well it actually holds up in the real world. One can hope replacement PCB's are not too expensive either, but I wouldn't be banking on that...

D

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
Looks great so far, but the price point is a bit too rich for my blood.
Servicing that huge ass board under the play-field will be a pain if a component fails.

According to his signature, quarter grabber already owns a HUO MMR LE!
Maybe he can post some video / thoughts ? :cool:

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
movingpictures said:

HAHAHAA!
Yeah, I always love that. I guess if you've paid for it, you 'technically' own it right?

Hold on, let me go add Predator and RAZA to my pinball owners profile :lol:

quarter grabber

May 29, 2013
Ottawa
movingpictures said:
Looks great so far, but the price point is a bit too rich for my blood.
Servicing that huge ass board under the play-field will be a pain if a component fails.

No I don't have it yet but since I paid for it I figured I might as well put it there, because technically I do own it just haven't received it. :D
I watched the video and the castle destruction sequence looks bad it doesn't look like the original at all, and as frolic mentioned the under board LED's look frantic, they flicker way too fast. Right now it doesn't look like the original, if they don't fix the little things like the castle destruction sequence I will cancel my order and pick up an AC/DC premium or Hobbit instead.

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
DRANO said:
HAHAHAA!
Yeah, I always love that.

I don't know man, I think he must have an inside connection.
Somehow he owned ST LE before it was in production!
And then he reviewed ST PRO before it hit North America!

He's connected obviously.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
quarter grabber said:
No I don't have it yet but since I paid for it I figured I might as well put it there, because technically I do own it just haven't received it. :D
I watched the video and the castle destruction sequence looks bad it doesn't look like the original at all, and as frolic mentioned the under board LED's look frantic, they flicker way too fast. Right now it doesn't look like the original, if they don't fix the little things like the castle destruction sequence I will cancel my order and pick up an AC/DC premium or Hobbit instead.

You've paid in full? WOW!
Anyway. Most of us are just ribbing because it's a bit of a 'thing'; placing games in your collection that you don't have your hands on. Some would almost say it's a superstition... or at least it's a noob thing. No offense intended.

Anyway, I looked at the castle sequence more closely. Looks pretty accurate up until the last few seconds. Looks like some bugs or something. The towers usually hold in the down position for a second or two at the end before returning to upright. Here they sputtered a bit. Otherwise, it's pretty bang-on. Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. Let's face it, at this point we're talking about a replica no matter how accurate the castle sequence is. Is that really going to be a huge problem for folks?

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
DRANO said:
. Let's face it, at this point we're talking about a replica no matter how accurate the castle sequence is. Is that really going to be a huge problem for folks?

Remember, we are talking to the guy who cancelled his ST LE because of a VUK !

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Well, to each his own I guess.

I suppose I've learned to be a little more 'liberal' in my expectations. You're buying a whole game, not a small feature. But given Stern's track record, I don't think I'd buy anything NIB again after my current commitments are done.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Damn, now I feel like a bully :?
Gimme your lunch money!!!

Like I said, to each his own. You also can edit your signature to tell me to F--K off too ;)
It's a free country.

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
DRANO said:
I don't think I'd buy anything NIB again after my current commitments are done.

Same here.
The only way I'll buy another NIB is a year or two after release when the code is complete.
My experience with MET has really soured me. :evil:

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
I'm still pretty impressed. I'm wondering if the sputtering has to do with no hold coil or something. Sort of a "simulated" hold, like what's done with the Barad Dur tower on LOTR (the coil is pulsed rapidly to hold the tower down).

Anyway, so far so good for me! I'd say the only thing disappointing really is the lack of parts in the head :lol: Have they posted pics / vids of what the backbox illumination is going to look like?