• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

LOTR Ring board LED replacement

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
I had an LED go out on my ring board for the one ELF ring. I decided to order a new one from digikey on my last order. This is what I bought - http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/0/C513A-WSN-CV0Y0151-ND. I knew it would look different from the rest so I ordered three and did all the ELF rings for consistency. The problem I face now is that they are substantially brighter than the originals. Is there a better replacement I should get on my next order? Should I try and dim them somehow?

Thanks

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Damn, wish I had known you needed one. I have a bunch of leftover parts from various games I don't own anymore and one is a spare NOS board.

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Thanks Drano. I may still need one if I can't resolve my issue because I'm not happy with how it is now. It would be a shame to replace the whole board over a couple LEDs though. I've been looking at digikey and it seems I need to find LEDs with lower Millicandela ratings. Since LEDs are so cheap I may just order some from various levels and do trial and error. The ones I have now are up over 5000 Millicandela, which is too bright.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Wow. 5000mcd?! That's insanely bright... and it's probably drawing a LOT of current! I'd start looking at ones 10% of that birhgtness and less.

Why not call or email Stern and see if they can give you a MFG part# for the actual LED they used on that PCB? (It could be a Lumex part# seeing as they are located close to Stern and I know for a fact they have worked with them in the past) Stern will have it on a BOM file somewhere, just a question if they will actually give that to you. If you can get that, then you can look up the datasheet and get all of the important info like mcd and find a suitable replacement.

D

Reactions: brad808

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Yeah they were much too bright. I've already pulled them. I originally got them because there were a couple other posts about the issue on pinside basically stating that any 5mm 3.2v clear LED would be fine so I didn't think about (or know about) Millicandela. I've emailed Stern, we'll see what they have to say about it.

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
I got my reply from stern. Here it is in case anyone is looking in the future. Looks like this is it
http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/C503C-WAS-CBADA151/C503C-WAS-CBADA151-ND/1922946

The actual MCD rating of this one is 28150? Seems much higher. Maybe I'm not understanding something right.

Hi Brad,

Here’s the only information I could find out about the LEDs.

White LED Cree C503C-WAS-CBADA151.

Red LED KINGBRIGHT W53SRC/DU.

Yellow LED KINGBRIGHT WP7113SYC-H.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Wow, they used Kingbright... one of the lines we are an official disti for. Let me look at the Cree datasheet and reply back about your question on mcd.

I also just punched in the Kingbright part#'s and I've actually got 400pcs of the red in our warehouse right now. LOL

D

Last edited:

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Ok, according to the datasheet that Cree LED is actually 35,000 mcd which is pretty damn bright. The only thing I'm thinking is the LED you previously installed has a much lower Vf than the Cree and you were overdriving it? Either way, if that's the part# they gave you, I'd roll with it. Pickup a handful for future just in case as they are cheap.

D