• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Lighting up Demo Man

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
There are two plastic girders that run along the top of the backboard of Demolition Man that sit dark 95% of the time despite having transparent blue plastic worked into their design. This is an area BEGGING to be lit up. There are three flashers back there...but their use is limited, leaving the plastics dark most of the time.

I've seen TNT Amusements drill out an extra four or five holes in the backboard and install sockets so that superbright LEDs can be placed in there. This option makes for a very centralized and distracting lighting effect. I picked up a few SMD light strips from Comet LED (a steal at $2.95USD per strip, available in both 3- and 7-SMD versions in a variety of colours: http://www.cometpinball.com/6-3-V-Plug-Play-Strips-Comet-Pinball-p/6.3vsmdstrips.htm). I hoped this would give the light more wash, rather than the centralized throw found in TNT's modification of the game.

As you can see from the image above, each SMD strip comes complete with three different female ends, depending on how you want to hook up the lights. This also makes for less of a destructive footprint when drilling out the backboard: you need only drill a hole large enough to feed the female lead of the wire through, rather than having to feed the entire socket through. I went with Comet's blue SMD strips...but I suppose white would have worked as well, as the transparent plastic already has a blue hue. I wired up the lights for each plastic girder to one common lead as seen in the photo below. The smaller left girder was lit using two 3-SMD strips, and the larger right one (pictured below) was lit using two 7-SMDs and one 3-SMD. No modification to the plastic pieces themselves needed to be done...the SMD stips come with adhesive backing. I attached them to the inside top of the plastic allowing the SMD glow to shine downward rather than directly at the player.

With a common lead for each, I needed only drill two holes in the backbox to feed the female lead through. Once fed through, I attached the male 47-bulb style end. To keep things tidy, I wired in two extra sockets off of the general illumination string that lights up the rear portion of the playfied (which are also mounted to the backside of the backboard). Leads plugged into the sockets and voila...a nice subtle blue glow to the upper rear of the playfield. Matches the overall "blue-ness" of the game, and makes for a great contrast against the red lights of the ACMAG and Cryo-Claw. Even with being constantly lit, the flashers still have a descernable effect when they are activated.

Attachments

• 00-demo2.jpg
    00-demo2.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 231
  • 00-demo1.jpg
    00-demo1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 232
  • 00-demo3.jpg
    00-demo3.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 231
  • 00-demo4.jpg
    00-demo4.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 229

OLDPINGUY

Apr 15, 2014
Florida
WOW! I am quite impressed! I have never seen that done.....and it fits so well!

I appreciate you sharing, and hope it inspires others to try these strips, anywhere and everywhere!
We have seen some creative use in Backboxes too! Just plug in, and move them around!

Art

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Thanks for sharing Rob and it looks great on your Demoman. I will be doing the same to mine except I will be wiring up my own strips because I have a 10' RGB roll which I cut to length. I know TNT Amusements did something similar except they drilled a few holes out on the back panel and installed some #47 sockets but I prefer this method and think it is much less work to be honest.

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
OLDPINGUY said:
WOW! I am quite impressed! I have never seen that done.....and it fits so well!

I appreciate you sharing, and hope it inspires others to try these strips, anywhere and everywhere!
We have seen some creative use in Backboxes too! Just plug in, and move them around!

Art

I think it's AWESOME that you offer such a variety of different connector types... no one else does this, and it's a real testament to your passion for pinball. :)

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Looks great Rob; and Art's products are awesome!
I bought a bunch of these strips on an order from Comet this past summer and have been looking for ways to incorporate them beyond the typical arch area to light up the flippers. One application I want to try is lighting up the back of my IJ and the 'lost plastic'. It's super dark back there and the beautiful art is truly 'lost'.

I just placed another order a few days ago as I love his frosted GI bulbs and grabbed some cool white and green ones for my Space Station. I'm thinking of adding in a space shuttle toy to the playfield and purchased this new item from him to light up the open cargo bay and satellite that came with the toy.
http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/6smd12vpad.htm

That's a great application for DM.
I've also seen some guys mod out their Johnny Mnemonics to include a real 3D dolphin in the 'tank' area by the left ramp. I can totally see how a strip of these in blue would really bring that whole mod to life.
And huge props to Art for throwing in every single possible connction you could possibly need.

Fifty

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I just received two 7 LED strips from Comet as well. I plugged one into my pop bumper just to see how bright it was and man I was not disappointed! Brilliant!

I plan to light up the dark cave that is Yagov's Kicker on my F-14.

Your DM looks fantastic with the blue lit up!

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
FiftyQuid said:
I just received two 7 LED strips from Comet as well. I plugged one into my pop bumper just to see how bright it was and man I was not disappointed! Brilliant!

I think that will look great Tim! Did you get around to rebuilding those flippers yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fifty

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
bstock said:
FiftyQuid said:

I think that will look great Tim! Did you get around to rebuilding those flippers yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not yet. I installed one of those LED OCD boards, shopped my beacon assembly and tearing down an old Stern FreeFall PF I bought from Cait. I've also been trying to get my pin to reset during multiball, but I haven't been able to do it yet.

The 4x flippers, plus switches I need are pricey… I've been dropping hints to my wife since the show. My birthday is Oct 25th. :D