• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

KISS pinball by Zidware!

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
Check out this prototype by J-Pop!

Attachments

• 217862.jpg
    217862.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 841
  • 217863.jpg
    217863.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 841
  • 217864.jpg
    217864.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 841
  • 217865.jpg
    217865.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 841
  • 217867.jpg
    217867.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 841
  • 217868.jpg
    217868.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 841
  • 217871.jpg
    217871.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 841
  • 217872.jpg
    217872.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 841

dos.reboot

Nov 19, 2012
Windsor. ON.
The artwork is fantastic - over the top without being over the top. It's refreshing to see after so many photoshopped playfields.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
The art style is similar to what I've been seeing with RAZA... jpop blogs a ton about pinball art. he truly is the last of a breed. The mock up they are showing has no ramps, and people are going ape shit, shows you how much art can elevate a project (and how much it can hurt when compared to some other games).

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
When I visited JPOPs studio last year he was playing around with a prototype for a "modern/retro" game that has simple playfield features but lots of modern glitz... at a more reasonable price point. I guess this is one of it's incarnations.

As Chris mentioned, the artwork style from John's team, on MG, RAZA and now this, is some of the best work to ever grace a pinball machine.

Now if only he could actually finish a project and get it to market :FP:

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
DRANO said:

You know, I've been thinking about this, watching him on the blog create countless versions of the back glass art, refine refine refine... the end result is great, but what if we had a game in our hands with the original BHZA artwork on it? Like, if the deadline was some time ago with that art package, and the game was done and wrapped and in our hands? I don't think any of us would be complaining at all and it would still outclass everything else out there.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
DRANO said:
When I visited JPOPs studio last year he was playing around with a prototype for a "modern/retro" game that has simple playfield features but lots of modern glitz... at a more reasonable price point. I guess this is one of it's incarnations.

Thinking about this.... the game still has that big LCD, all the digital assets that are going to be needed to drive it, still the insane art package that we now know takes an artist many iterations to fine tune. The "only" thing stripped on this game are ramps? How much can that possible save from the BOM and make this more "affordable"?

What jpop really needs to do is abandon the limited nature of the games. Make them for anyone who wants to buy them. Starting with AIW since RAZA and MG buyers were promised limited, but from AIW onwards just frame it differently that he will make batches of 100 or something, for as many runs as demand asks. If you want to be part of the first 100, then order now, etc.

dos.reboot

Nov 19, 2012
Windsor. ON.
I thought about AIW. Even received the order package in the mail to see what it was all about. But with exchange, taxes, and delivery the $9.9K price tag becomes nearly $13K CDN.

The AIW production is limited to 133 unit, which is considerably higher than MG or RAZA but doesn't translate to a considerably lower price.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jHWbDNMJick[/youtube]

You missed the video Brock :x

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
frolic said:
DRANO said:

You know, I've been thinking about this, watching him on the blog create countless versions of the back glass art, refine refine refine... the end result is great, but what if we had a game in our hands with the original BHZA artwork on it? Like, if the deadline was some time ago with that art package, and the game was done and wrapped and in our hands? I don't think any of us would be complaining at all and it would still outclass everything else out there.

Funny. I actually prefer the original art direction and John's desire to wipe Ben Hecks from the game and replace him with this 'Mars Attacks' character really kills it a bit for me. I liked the mad scientist held up in an abandoned amusement park churning out zombies. One too many ingredients now IMO. But gameplay is the ultimate factor... so I'll sit back and watch.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
I almost suspect this push to Aliens and away from zombies is because of Pinball Zombies from the dead. That's a weird dynamic, that they are all friends, but John's toes have been stepped on, I noticed the PZ game is even using those zombie finger puppets he blogged about some time ago. You can bet they will not be in raza anymore.

The fact that PZ exists, I suspect is why

1) Ben removed from game
2) Less zombies in our game.

I agree, "Benjamin Heckeldorn the mad scientist" character was a winner.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Looks nice, but aren't there other games that should get finished first? Not sure how production on MG or RAZA is going or how it's going to work, but it seems a little strange to be working on a side project like this when you have people who have paid a whole lot of money to get a game that isn't done yet.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
More pics from MGC

217824-i.jpg

217825-i.jpg

217826-i.jpg

217827-i.jpg

217828-i.jpg

217829-i.jpg

217830-i.jpg

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
frolic said:
DRANO said:

Once released, a bad game will always be a bad game. But a game that's been delayed has a chance to be great. You can always improve the product up until the time of release.

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Luckydogg420 said:
frolic said:
DRANO said:

Once released, a bad game will always be a bad game. But a game that's been delayed has a chance to be great. You can always improve the product up until the time of release.

Nope plenty of percieved bad games have been saved with software updates (SM/ AD/DC/ Xmen depending on your point of view)

Jpop

Jun 4, 2013
Chicago, IL
Hey...thanks for the kind words. The KISS game has a long story....but basically my best man Tony has terminal cancer. We used to play in a KISS tribute band ages ago and we talked about doing this in 2016...as the last game was 37 years ago or so. But he has been really sick since October....so we spent the Christmas holidays building this on our vacations and stealing time at 2am. No other way to do it. We almost got A&E into the mix too.

Anyway with the new cab design, lcd, truss lights and spin flashes...it was looking really good. So MGC came up and Dan Loosen asked if i could come up. So we put together a small booth and brought the incomplete KISS mockup covered in black stage cloth. It was made from foam to travel to the KISS folks in LA and the booth was packed as we were treeing to setup. I was happy as it worked perfect all weekend. Just plays DRC so far but with lot's of speech.

Apart from theme I was able to talk with hundreds of people at MGC on the weekend (many industry folks too) about what we are doing, the new designs and new lcd. Everyone was really positive and very excited. And yes we will "redraw" art over and over until it's perfect. No crap from my hands....Jpop