• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Jungle Lord.....I smell burning!!

Subzero74

Dec 28, 2014
Whitby, ON
Hey guys,

Since I've had JL in my possession it has never worked. After doing a bunch of research I decided to order a bunch of goodies and rebuild the boards. Before I began, I noticed that driver transistor Q37 was smoked. As a side note, I should point out that I am totally flying by the seat of my pants on this project. I was proud of myself that I figured out Q37 drives Solenoid #12. Anyways, I replaced 95% of all the capacitors on the boards. I replaced all transistors on the driver board. Replaced some resistors and diodes on the power supply board. After completing all this work, I plugged everything back in and turned the power on. I began to see small flashes (arcing) on the solenoid driver transistors and also the lamp column drive transistors and then could smell the sweet aroma of burning electrical!!!! I turned the power off and lifted the playfield.....I found 3 solenoids that were extremely hot so I disconnected the wiring to them. After disconnecting the 3 solenoids I still have the arcing on the transistors and have no idea why. Why would the lamp driver transistors arc? Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Justin

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
First, check that the plugs head to body are plugged-into the correct plugs.
I remember reading a similar smoke disaster on a Black Knight a few years ago, I think Clay had this example on Pinrepair.
Basically two plugs might appear the same with same number of pins, but obviously for very different connections.
The wire colors should match on both sides of the connected plugs.
Unsure if Jungle Lord has the same build issue/risk as Black Knight.

If this is the case, there will be a lot of work to re-do on the boards I am afraid.

Also, was the 40-pin MPU-Driver replaced ?
The EPROMs sockets are often bad or intermittent in these games, causing spurious lockups,
including burning coils.

Make sure the game is fused properly. If overfused, any lockup issue will burn coils and the associated drive transistors.

Good luck !
- Sylvain.

Reactions: DRANO

Subzero74

Dec 28, 2014
Whitby, ON
I did label the plugs and the pin sockets to avoid mixing them up. It is possible I received the game with plugs not in the right sockets. I will have to verify that all plugs are in the correct place.

I haven't replaced the 40 pin socket but will do so this weekend. Will also go over each fuse and check for proper amp ratings. Will report back......thanks Sylvain!