• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Joker Poker

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Annnnnd done!

bc4deb52d3f4b07ce88262a69ff28960.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

cdnpinballer

Nov 15, 2012
Adam since buying the USC, how often do you still use your tumbler? Or did the USC effectively replace your tumbler as a parts cleaner/polisher?

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
The USC would never replace the tumbler, two totally different cleaning processes. Normally you would use the USC first on metal parts to clean them, and then toss them into the tumbler to polish.

D

cdnpinballer

Nov 15, 2012
Hummm. That makes sense but from Adam's pic showing the before and after pop bumper mech it looks like he kept the mech assembled and submerged the whole thing? Am I missing something?

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Hummm. That makes sense but from Adam's pic showing the before and after pop bumper mech it looks like he kept the mech assembled and submerged the whole thing? Am I missing something?

He probably submerged the whole assembly and I've seen many people do this as well on many other parts such as coils, pcb boards and wiring harness provided they fit. Otherwise for bigger items you can submerge one half and then do the same thing for the other half such as a WPC ball trough.

cdnpinballer

Nov 15, 2012
for bigger items you can submerge one half and then do the same thing for the other half such as a WPC ball trough.

Doesn't that contradict what this previous commenter said?:

For long metal pieces, you'll need bigger as the part needs to be fully submerged or you'll get some interesting tarnishing effects.[/URL]

So, do the parts need to be 100% fully submerged or can some of the longer parts hang out of the tub and not get tarnished? Such a f'ing USC noob here.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Yeah for metal parts they should be submerged or you *can* have tarnishing effects on some parts.

For plastic parts like that pop assembly it's ok.

D

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Too echo what everyone else has said.

The USC isn't a replacement to the tumbler, but honestly I have been using my tumbler less.

For quick shop jobs like this one, I just use the USC and don't bother tumbling anything. Main reason being I don't feel like dealing with the clean up of my tumbler, All the media gets stuck all over everything and stuck in everything, so it can be a long process to clean all the media out of metal parts. As an example, every single phillips head screw you tumble will have the threads for the head filled with media that you have to remove.

Larger metal parts that won't fit in my USC or tumbler I'll clean by hand with a strong De-greaser/cleaner and then if I'm feeling fancy I'll hit them with my polisher to give them a mirror shine.

Plastics are fine just make sure they don't have any artwork on them, the USC cleans that off QUICK. Even metal spinners after going through the USC lose anything painted on.

My JP pop bumper bodies HAD some artwork on them, I cared more about them being clean then having the art so in the USC they went.