• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

I'm joining the CIRQUS!!!

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Well, I've finally been able to get a JPOP game into the lineup! :D
CV arrived yesterday and got quickly set up in the garage for some testing.

I have a project TOTAN but it will be months before I get that game finished and home.
CV presented itself as a trade involving my XMLE so I jumped at the chance. I swapped with a collector out in Calgary.
Aside from a few little issues, the game is pretty minty and covered with mods... some of which I may have to remove (shooter rod, cough.... coin door, cough:cough) :?
I grabbed it from Day& Ross in Brampton and, since I had a couple of guys over last night, we were able to get it unloaded and set up. Huge thanks to Rob, Barry and Todd!
It was one of the more comical set-ups to date.

Here are some pics of the game.

Sadly... since I was really selling XMLE to make space and retrieve some cash for house renos, I don't think this CV will stay with me very long.... but I am super happy to be able to take it for a test drive for a little while! I do love the creativity and sheer whackiness of JPOP games.

The game also came with some prototype scrolls which I haven't installed yet... but I think they may work better on one of my other titles ;)

Attachments

• 20140626_083948.jpg
    20140626_083948.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 769
  • 20140626_083954.jpg
    20140626_083954.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 769
  • 20140626_084048.jpg
    20140626_084048.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 769
  • IMG-20140625-WA0027.jpg
    IMG-20140625-WA0027.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 769
  • IMG-20140625-WA0029.jpg
    IMG-20140625-WA0029.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 766

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
This was my GRAIL game and never thought I'd add one to my collection, let along a HUO example. It's a love / hate thing with CV, and I'm in the love it camp. Enjoy it while you have it...

D

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
DRANO said:
Aside from a few little issues, the game is pretty minty and covered with mods... some of which I may have to remove (shooter rod, cough.... coin door, cough:cough) :?

cough, cough... flipper bat covers too!

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Agreed; the coin door is a bit much.
I don't have a proper spare door for CV so I'll either have to buy one new or find someone who has a decent used one they could sell.

The game also has a plasma mod. Kinda cool in low light.
Here's a video of one used in a TOM.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qPDNdlmayg[/youtube]

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
The purple armor is kind of neat actually-I thought about doing that to mine, but it's a little pricey. I kind of go back and forth on the game-sometimes I want to sell it while the price is up there and get another A-lister, but then I play it some more and realize that I'd never get another one. It's a really unique game. It's also the one my kids like the most right now, so it's staying for a while at least.

dos.reboot

Nov 19, 2012
Windsor. ON.
Chris Bardon said:
... but then I play it some more and realize that I'd never get another one.

Yeah, CV is one of those few pins that is really tough to come by in decent condition. I'd imagine it's a very hard decision to sell one.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Thanks everyone.
I spent a couple of hours last night adjusting a few things and removing some of the more offensive mods.
Still waiting on a new coin door, but hopefully one might be dropped off tonight.
I only had a beat up marbled shooter rod from my CC for the time being; but I had to turf that Ringmaster shooter.

It's amazing how poorly this game was playing when I got it though. Airballs caused by the boom balloon being set too low. I couldn't make the right spinner shot at all as a result. Also, any hard shot to the right ramp would send the ball flying off the wireform and all over the game.
After two minor adjustments the game was flowing beautifully and playing great.

I set the game to 6.5 degrees pitch but found it extremely slow. I jacked it up a bit to 7 but now have a hard time getting balls to stay in the juggler. I know CV is a game that doesn't like to be off pitch by very much. Maybe I'll invest in the pinbits mod that prevents balls from missing the juggler. This should allow me to maintain the slightly steeper angle and better game play.

I'll also be ordering a couple of replacement plastics. After these few small touches this should be a super nice example. I know there is a bit of insert ghosting, but even the HUO examples I've seen can't seem to avoid that. Just a nature of the beast for some of JPOP's games for some weird reason.

I haven't shown it to the kids just yet... for fear they will want me to keep it :D

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
If you need one, I actually have a spare pinbits juggler guard. I ordered one a while back, forgetting that there was one in the coinbox that the previous owner had removed (and that I'd never gotten around to installing).

Are you talking about the ball falling off the acrobats wireform? I've been having that problem on my game, and I'm not sure why-was there just something you needed to tighten down? I thought it was just part of the game design and tolerances being tight. Getting the ringmaster to sit at the right height can also be a pain on CV-too high and you get airballs, too low on the mid position and you get balls stuck on the lip.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I had an issue with my acrobat ramp as well, it's just a matter of losening some of the mount points and shifting it to keep it banked ever so slightly to avoid the ball coming off the ramp.

D

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Thanks Chris. I'm ordering a set of plastic protectors and the juggler plastic mod is included.

The ball is not supposed to fly off the acrobats wireform. You'll notice a stainless steel guide at the sharpest turn in the back left corner. I added a couple of washers under it to raise it a bit higher and also bent it slightly inward. No more issues.
There's also a clear plastic further down the wireform that also acts as a guide. It's got two soft spacers under it. Mine was tightened right down and the spacers too compressed. I loosened it a bit and the edge of the plastic is now at the right height (Centre of ball).

The only thing that still bugs me is the magnet not always being fast enough to catch a ball for the lock. Maybe you guys can tell me if that's common?

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
DRANO said:
The only thing that still bugs me is the magnet not always being fast enough to catch a ball for the lock. Maybe you guys can tell me of that's common?

Very uncommon, in every CV I've ever played, never once has the magnet not caught a ball for lock.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Never seen that problem with the magnet on mine. I've had the wireform just a little out of whack which made the ball divert down there without the magnet, but the magnet has never failed to catch the ball there. The ringmaster magnet is a different story that fails to grab the ball maybe 30% of the time on my game.