• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

WTB IDC .156 Connectors both18 and 22 gauge

necro_nemesis

Nov 20, 2012
Newmarket, Ontario. Canada
Looking for a Canadian source for IDC connectors and headers. I know people will suggest switching to Molex Trifurcon and in the past I have used this solution with single wires going to each of to the connector pins but I am wanting to redo a J115 GI power connector by distributing the load through looping pins the way it was done (right or wrong) from the factory. I believe J115; where I want to do this, is a 12 position 18 gauge connection but having a few other connectors used in GI circuits on hand would also be my objective so I am looking for a decent supplier to get an inventory on hand and from a supplier that makes the distinction between 18 and 22 gauge wire connectors which are different. Some suppliers appear to overlook this important distinction between wire gauges simply state .156 and number of positions.

The problem I see is by not looping around an IDC and using the Trifurcon is you end up attempting to crimp two wires into a connector either on the transformer or board side which doesn't seem ideal. Here's a pic of a replacement harness that does this on the transformer side. In my case I would likely doing that on the board end with existing wires. Having not attempted to do this with Trifurcon or IDC where wires have been looped to distribute load, I'm open to suggestions from someone having gone through this repair. Part of my objective is to keep the harness looking original in the process which is weighing in on this decision to use IDC. I want to avoid having connections before the connector itself or multiple wires going to a connector that only was designed to accommodate one wire.

1697036020374.png

gunner007

Jan 26, 2024
kingston Ontario
You are in Kingston, get it shipped to the UPS store or NAC in odgensburg and drive down and pick it up .... costs 5 bucks

When gas was cheap we used to do this regularly ...
Doesn't make sense anymore unless I was already going. There are 0 deals or value in crossing the border now in general.

necro_nemesis

Nov 20, 2012
I placed an order like this for 22 and 18 gauge connectors (red 22 gauge and orange 18 gauge) with different pin counts and some plastic key plugs from Digikey's Canada site. It was just over a $100 order so shipping was free. I've used them since and they work fine.

1709125141666.png
1709125335950.png

Reactions: gunner007

necro_nemesis

Nov 20, 2012
One tool you might consider adding is one of these wire insertion tools, especially if you are working with board and harness still in the machine. I find it helps. I think I got mine from Pinball Life years ago.

1709125923613.png