• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

I guess Stern LEs aren’t limited anymore

MrMikeman

Nov 25, 2019
Ottawa
I guess Stern LEs aren’t limited at all anymore. They just announced a re-release of Jurassic Park LE going on sale tomorrow. Another run of 500. 13kUSD. They are calling it the 30th anniverssary Limited Edition but from the info available from distros so far it looks to be the regular LE, with perhaps a different BG? (Or a 30th anniversary sticker on the bg lol)

I guess when they decide they can milk it for more money they will just create more “LEs”, regardless of the title.

Maybe they should just do like JJP and announce “up to” 5000 LEs from now on, and then just build as many as will sell.

I don’t really care since when I bought my JPLE it wasn’t because it was limited, but rather because it had accessories I wanted and buying a Prem and then adding those accessories would have cost more than the LE. Obviously with the new pricing scale this no longer applies. Now you buy into the exclusivity.

Just wondering how alienated their LE buyers in general will be. If Stern can create more LEs at any time then they aren’t “limited” at all and certainly not exclusive.

And this is what killed Wms in the early 2000. Decision making left up to the corporate shmucks. MORE PROFITS NOW! Who needs long term vision lol.

Reactions: flyer666

Bytor777

Feb 23, 2019
toronto
As long as people keep paying crazy prices for so called "Le's" Stern will keep milking it. An extra 5k for some coloured rails and a badge number? No thanks

Reactions: Corrie

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Same idea as the JJP re-releases (WOZ YBR and RR, Hobbot Black arrow) and what Stern did with Elvira and Star Wars Comic Art. Nothing to see here really. Now, if they dropped new code to celebrate the 30th with more movie assets (audio especially), then we'd have something, but I don't see that happening unless Universal suddenly came way down in their asking price.

Reactions: ZoomZoomBoomBoom

LOCK-IS-LIT

Jan 5, 2022
SWO
Apparently Metallica and Ghostbusters are coming back soon too. At least they are bringing back the some of the best games for those that want to pick them up brand new. Just hoping they are spike Ii upgraded.

Ryan Dodd

Feb 15, 2020
Sault Ste Marie
IMHO better to buy this then a used le for 15k most of the original Le units are all priced higher then msrp so this opens up that channel for me ..

kool1

Sep 14, 2021
Oakville ON
Stern and other manufacturers are in the business of making money. If they see an opportunity to cash in on 500 X $13K why not?

Only people really hurt are the guys that paid too much on the re-sale market. If you paid big bucks for a JP LE you probably lost more in the markets yesterday anyway.

Reactions: Ryan Dodd

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Also from the press release-new code!

To celebrate this milestone anniversary, the team at Stern has created a software update available for all existing versions of the game. The update offers new ways to play; including Co-Op Play, Team Play, and a 30th Anniversary Insider Connected Quest. The update also brings additional polish and refinement throughout the game experience. Co-Op Play gives players the unique ability to collaborate in order to escape Isla Nublar and reach the ultimate wizard mode, “When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth!” Team Play allows players to challenge each other in any combination of 1 to 4 players. The new 30th Anniversary Quest will be available to users as part of Stern’s award-winning Insider Connected™ system. The Quest will challenge players to collect Dinosaur DNA strands throughout the game to create amazing dinosaurs and earn badges. Registration for Insider Connected is available for free at insider.sternpinball.com.

I don't think there'll be any new assets in there, but those extra modes sound neat.

Reactions: kool1

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
This is great news,
I was not a fan of the side art on DP LE over the premium.
Maybe a new 'updated' LE will have what I want.

MrMikeman

Nov 25, 2019
Ottawa
IMHO better to buy this then a used le for 15k most of the original Le units are all priced higher then msrp so this opens up that channel for me ..

CAD prices after taxes are around 19.5-20k for this “new” LE. I doubt we’ll see successful flippers for profit at that price range. If anything it’ll help keep the used LE prices up, unless folks actually thought their game was worth more than $20k

LOCK-IS-LIT

Jan 5, 2022
SWO
I’ll reserve final judgement until I see one in the wild, but I think I like this art package better than the original LE.
More pinball!
Ya it has a nice look and more of the colours that were on the Prem version which is still my favourite of all JP models. Looks good in red and looks fresh.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
P1 pricing is $12990usd for this
Oof...no thanks. I'll stick with my Premium. Looking forward to checking out the new code though. Not sure how substantial it'll be, but I saw mention of new callouts and a "nedry save"? I'll bet that last one is going to be like the Oxygen Destroyer on Godzilla, but you have 10s to shoot the control room or something to get a ball save.