• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

How to Add Spot Lights to Any Game

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Did you like to play your pins in the dark? If you do then you might find certain games harder to see and play as a result. Well I am going to show you how to fix this literally in approximately 5-10 mins depending how many spot lights you decide to add to light up your game. The game from my collection that I am going to be doing this to is The Shadow.

You can get these playfield accent spotlight assemblies from Pinball Life for $2.95/each. I believe this is a Stern part but don't worry it won't make your Bally/Williams game feel cheap :lol:

10239174134_60b2b809c4_c.jpg

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1542

These can take a #555 incandescent bulb or LED of your choice. I think I am going to go with incandescent since my Shadow is not completely tricked out in LEDs. I am going to be attaching two spot lights in the traditional spots above the slings where you see on most Sterns. No drilling or hacking of any plastic is required and this is completely reversible. I will aim it once the game is turned on but for now this is what it looks like over the left sling shot. I fed the wire down the a whole where there is enough clearance and doesn't interfere with a switch or mechanism.

10239363993_958a24b5cb_c.jpg

This next step here is completely optional but if you are unsure or doing this for the first time and want to test and see if it works you can use some gator clips to piggy back off an existing general illumination (aka GI) assuming you want the spot light to be on continuously. You can also tap into an existing flasher as well if you wish for the spot light to only be on or triggered when that flasher is.

10239365853_25e0db0b66_c.jpg

10239372483_0e817d287f_c.jpg

Be very careful and check to make sure no exposed connections or gator clips are not touching each other, coil, metal, etc... This could cause a short and most likely just blow a fuse but better to safe then sorry and just double check before turning the game on.

10239289365_48a06f2140_c.jpg

10239182554_5dc77afb88_c.jpg

** Note the bulb I have pictured above is a white ABLAZE 4-SMD-LED #555, Pinball Life part # abl_fucking_bright_wedge :p

Here is the link in case anyone wants to give them a try. I use them in my Tron spot lights and they look and work great.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2560

Now I cut and strip any excess wire leading to the GI socket. I fire up my Tenma soldering station and flow a bit of solder on each tab of the GI socket and tin the ends of the wires from the spot light. Then I quickly soldering the wire to each tab of the GI socket and make sure it is secure and I'm done.

10239284306_cd09772c15_c.jpg

Now do the exact same thing to the right side and here is what it should look like when you are done.

10239298375_90b1fda4c8_c.jpg

Before
10239267006_b06d2402c7_c.jpg

After
10239290506_0a395cbd30_c.jpg

I replaced the white ABLAZE 4-SMD-LED #555 with a #555 incandescent bulb for both spotlights. It just didn't look right to have the top and bottom halves of the playfield lit in a warm yellow and the middle white. The previous owner also put some frosted white LEDs for the GI under the slings and I put back #44 incandescent bulbs to keep the same warm yellow from each spotlight. I can now play The Shadow properly in the dark, if anyone has any questions feel free to send me a PM or post it here and I will do my best to answer it.

Enjoy!
-Mike

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
My next mod will be making that Alec Balwin reflection disappear from the playfield glass ;)

When i owned a Judge Dredd I added 4 spot lights because the game was really dark as well. The one the helped the most was the upper left one otherwise playing in the dark you would never be able to see the ball coming back from the left orbit which feeds that upper flipper. I had to drill a small hole to secure the spot light on but I think the result was worth it.

Before
6358308153_275e8e9e83_z.jpg

After
6358313707_8b81c7bdd4_z.jpg

Here is where I put the other 3 spot lights:

1) Behind the Pursuit lights on the right ramp
6358313749_5967c72924_z.jpg

2) Above the left shooter lane
6353333545_3d143ee0eb_z.jpg

3) Above the right ramp exit/inlane
6394568017_0a6bf334a4_z.jpg

Here are some pictures of the entire playfield from the player's perspective

Before
6358308129_68aaef3da3_z.jpg

After
6358308107_4e23610781_z.jpg

G

Great tip Mike!Thanks!
How many can you safely add to the G.I. ? To a flasher or controlled lamp?
Also,are you going for the new alt translite as seen on Pinside?

g-man

Nov 19, 2012
Brampton / Caledon
Yes, another great "how-to" post from Mr. Mike.

I will definitely be looking to do some custom lighting like this for my Smokey and the Bandit retheme. Starting to populate the pf now so your timing is perfect.

What else ya got ? :mrgreen:

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Andre said:
Great tip Mike!Thanks!
How many can you safely add to the G.I. ? To a flasher or controlled lamp?
Also,are you going for the new alt translite as seen on Pinside?

Well I would go too overboard adding too many spotlights but if you are really worried pull out some GI bulbs on the same string further back in the machine or replace a select few with LED to balance out the draw. I added those 4 spot lights on my Judge Dredd over 2 years ago and Adriano's brother has it now and hasn't seemed to cause any problems.

I really wanted to use the fucking bright wedge ablazes but the colour distinction on my Shadow was just too much having yellow on the top and bottom of the playfield and pure white in the middle. I might pick up some of the fucking bright in yellow on my next PBL order to match the same yellow warmth of the rest of the game and see how it looks.

I am also considering using some of these white Ablaze #44/#47 flexes under some plastics like the slings so it lights up the lower playfield in white to match the initial bright whites I wanted to use in the spotlights. I only had flexes in #555 from previous games I removed LEDs from in my stash. We'll see, I might ask Scott or Drano to grab me a few LEDs from expo next week and for those who didn't know PBL does carry flex and ghostbuster LED bulbs now.

abl_flex_1-smd-led_bayonet.jpg

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3108

I know what some of you might be thinking, for such an LED hater I sure know where to find them and like to use them in my games :p

For the record all my games (except Sterns) have Ablaze #555 frosted white LEDs and even added some color to certain areas to make the artwork stand out a bit more. I wasn't crazy with the look especially before I did all my games because I could see all the hot spots on the backglass caused by LEDs compared to the game next to it without them. It doesn't bother me now and I think the positives such as less heat and stress on the power driver board. Apparently this is an operator trick for games on route to remove some of the bulbs selectively on the backglass to reduce heat and load on the GI connector on the power driver board.

And yes I did order that alternate translite on pinside made by Aulrich along with Drano and Grauwolf too. Hopefully it ships after next weekend.

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont
I totally want some of those flex neck LED bulbs for behind the backboard on my BTTF to light up the D-E-L-O-R-E-A-N letters. I can see I'm going to be putting in a large LED order at some point. lol

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Grauwulf said:
I totally want some of those flex neck LED bulbs for behind the backboard on my BTTF to light up the D-E-L-O-R-E-A-N letters. I can see I'm going to be putting in a large LED order at some point. lol

Is there a light board behind there already or you plan on adding some sockets behind or above it? If not you could always just add an RGB LED strip and tie it to 12v somewhere like I did here on my old White Water and lit up the dark mountains.

7221550544_45f2d49797_c.jpg

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont
There's lights there already, once you spell DeLorean from ramp shots it starts the millions timer. The stock 44/47's really don't light them up well.

Tcooper

Jan 20, 2013
Cambridge
I just got my spots in the mail from pinball life, I will post before and after pics of my big guns once I install them in a couple days, great tip/mod, thanks!!!

Tcooper

Jan 20, 2013
Cambridge
Here are the before and after pics of Big Guns with 2 added spots, thanks again for the tip :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 667
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 667

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Looks good Tcooper and are you using the incandescent that came with the spot lights? If you really wanna light things up I would recommend putting these on your next Pinball Life order.

abl_fucking_bright_wedge.jpg

I would order two in white and two in yellow to see which one looks better in your game. Judging by your existing incandescent bulbs in the GI I think yellow would blend in better and light up the upper playfield much more.

Tcooper

Jan 20, 2013
Cambridge
mwong168 said:
Looks good Tcooper and are you using the incandescent that came with the spot lights? If you really wanna light things up I would recommend putting these on your next Pinball Life order.

abl_fucking_bright_wedge.jpg

I would order two in white and two in yellow to see which one looks better in your game. Judging by your existing incandescent bulbs in the GI I think yellow would blend in better and light up the upper playfield much more.

Yes, I agree with super bright LEDs, going to just pick a couple up for the spots next time I run up to playdium store on ronson