• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Hobby Operator Log

smokedog

Mar 5, 2013
Saskatoon
Hey all

Just for interests sake, I am going to keep a log on my hobby operation gig. First a few specifics, then the log. I have been at this location 2 years come April.

Venue:

A sports bar, ages 19+. Massive space, over 50 TV's, and off track betting. Pins are tucked in a corner, near 2 pool tables, ping pong and a few vids (BBH, GH, Internet Jukebox, etc. I do not operate these). Industry standard 50/50 split with venue. Currently, local league holds tournaments monthly. This is the only location to publicly play pinball in my city of 235,000.

Titles:

Currently have 5 pins on location.

NIB Tron
NIB AC/DC Premium
Former demo SM
Previously HUO LotR
Routed FT

All set to $1 a play, 3 plays for $2. Pins go in 100% working, and have most preventative maintenance available (Cliffy's where required, Mantis, swap in LED's where tasteful and useful, shooter lane protection, etc.)

Marketing:

Twitter account, Facebook page and the odd kijiji ad. Emails sent out by the league.

I hope to keep it interesting! I will answer any questions I can.

smokedog

Mar 5, 2013
Saskatoon
Log entry #1 -

Sunday, March 17th, 8:45 PM

- post on Facebook wall by follower - AC/DC right flipper not working.
- 9:00 PM, show up at venue. AC/DC is turned off. Solder joint broken on coil. Up and running 8 minutes later.

ThunderStorm

Jan 2, 2013
Waterloo
great log,

i'm interested as i have a couple games in some locations around my town too, always interested in what the small hobby operators find in the wild
i'm not looking to be a big op, just putting some games on location.

Eric

smokedog

Mar 5, 2013
Saskatoon
Log Entry #2 -

Sunday, March 24th, 10:00 AM

Arrive at the location and grab a coffee. All machines on, a few credits left from the night before (staff typically play late). Quick game of AC/DC, then proceed to collect and clean the pins. Little Novus, some windex for the glass. Replaced a flasher in Tron. Opto #1 in the reel in Fish Tales is flaky (reel test shows it). Occasionally only spits out a 2 ball multi-ball. Will have to book some time to rip the reel out.

Drink spilled on Fish Tales. Need to order another pin gulp (all the rest of the pins have them). There is a reason the most beat up pin sits on the end of the row.

SAPP is having their monthly tourney on Tuesday. Will be there early to check out the pins, hopefully fix the opto in FT, increase the difficulty on SM (game times have been too long) and make sure everything is level.

smokedog

Mar 5, 2013
Saskatoon
Log Entry #3

Saturday, April 20th

Two full years! Today marks 2 years on location. 12 games have made their way through. From the #1 rated game (MM) to dogs like ST:DE 25th Ann. From NiB pins to 20 year old beaters.

Word of mouth has spread and traffic to the location to strictly play pinball has increased. I also started our provincial league around the same time, and our membership has grown exponentially as well.

It's been a labour of love to bring pinball back to public play in a city of 250K. Profits are not 'quit my day job' good, but decent enough to cover costs.

I'm looking forward to another fun filled year, and have a few new (and used) pins lined up to join the rotation. I may even seek out a second location, closer to the university.

smokedog

Mar 5, 2013
Saskatoon
Log entries #4 and #5

Both quick trips to collect and clean, nothing interesting to report. One tidbit, AC/DC Premium has now officially become my top earner, over the likes of TAF and MM, and it has not been on location half the amount of time.

One fix to the LotR spinner. It got bent and would sit parallel to the play field. No ring destroying for you!

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Fun thread!
I'm sure more than one collector has entertained the idea of putting a few games in the "wild".

smokedog

Mar 5, 2013
Saskatoon
Log entries #6 and #7 and #8

Entry #6 -
Trip to location due to SM being OOO. Arrive 7:30 PM, solder connection back on to right flipper. Leave 7:50 after playing a quick game of AC/DC and bottle of beer. Game kicks my ass again.

Entry #7 -
Move Creature from the Black Lagoon into location. Set up, play a couple games to ensure operation. Staff priced beer consumed.

Entry #8 -
Prep for SAPP tournament. Arrive at 5 PM (free play starts at 6:30) to fix/clean. Fix AC/DC cannon (loose base, tighten screws), fix 'Ground Fault. Row 1 Short Closed' on CftBL (coin door wire. previous owner repair, wire had been soldered together). Clean pins and glass. 15 entrants in tournament. I play horribly, blaming staff priced beer.

smokedog

Mar 5, 2013
Saskatoon
Entry # 9
- went in the weekend to collect and clean. No major fixes required, tightened one post on LotR and moved Frodo a touch. His cape was blowing in the wind and would cause the odd ball hang up on the left habitrail. Creech has seemed to settle down and is playing great. Spiderman is wavering on the block, as I need to make room for a new pin coming in.

On a side note, Pokey's Pinball had it's best quarter ever. Demand is obviously up in this town, which is a good sign for pinball! I am actively seeking a second location, but am aiming for something closer to the university and it's hipster crowd. If there was a place that sold PBR and was dimly lit, it would be perfect.

smokedog

Mar 5, 2013
Saskatoon
Entry #10 - Not much to report, except the passing of a friend. Spiderman has been sold. Much beer was spilled and good times to be had. You will be missed.

New pin makes it's way in by the end of the week. Rotation is key to keeping location players coming back.

tkaye

Mar 17, 2013
Ancaster, On
smokedog said:
Entry #10 - Not much to report, except the passing of a friend. Spiderman has been sold. Much beer was spilled and good times to be had. You will be missed.

New pin makes it's way in by the end of the week. Rotation is key to keeping location players coming back.

What's the new edition??

smokedog

Mar 5, 2013
Saskatoon
tkaye said:
What's the new edition??

Actually will be 3 new editions. Metallica Pro and Iron Man hopefully by end of week (IM may stay home for a bit depending on condition). Fish Tales by end of month.

I spoil my location players ;)

smokedog

Mar 5, 2013
Saskatoon
Entry #11

Metallica Pro now on location in SM's place. AC/DC had a sticky flipper button (spilled drink) and Creech's right flipper spring had come off on one end. Collect and clean, then tried to GC Metallica before someone else did. #1 spot, missed GC by a couple thousand.

Iron Man needs a bit of work before going in. Magnets are mushroomed and play field wear needs to be corrected before heading out.

League tournament tomorrow night.