• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Help...My First Pin.. Royal Rumble

Rhino

I got my first pin a few weeks ago, RR.
Other than seemingly being dirty and needing a good clean I am out of my element in assessing the condition. (It plays really well and kids are loving it which is the most important thing. )

Id love all of your expert opinions on what is needing work what might be good.
From my novice assessment it looks to have been arcade used at one point and perhaps from Norway (signs of a lock bar) and kr coins.

how would you describe the playing field from the images attached? Any suggestions or things that stand out that could be fixed or that looks to be in good shape?

Thanks so much everyone.
Rhino

Attachments

• IMG_1654.JPG
    IMG_1654.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1655.JPG
    IMG_1655.JPG
    234.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1656.JPG
    IMG_1656.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1657.JPG
    IMG_1657.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1658.JPG
    IMG_1658.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1659.JPG
    IMG_1659.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1660.JPG
    IMG_1660.JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1661.JPG
    IMG_1661.JPG
    207.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1662.JPG
    IMG_1662.JPG
    243.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1663.JPG
    IMG_1663.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 24

Rhino

I got my first pin a few weeks ago, RR.
Other than seemingly being dirty and needing a good clean I am out of my element in assessing the condition. (It plays really well and kids are loving it which is the most important thing. )

Id love all of your expert opinions on what is needing work what might be good.
From my novice assessment it looks to have been arcade used at one point and perhaps from Norway (signs of a lock bar) and kr coins.

how would you describe the playing field from the images attached? Any suggestions or things that stand out that could be fixed or that looks to be in good shape?

Thanks so much everyone.
Rhino
More images ... thanks guys.

Attachments

• IMG_1664.JPG
    IMG_1664.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1665.JPG
    IMG_1665.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1666.JPG
    IMG_1666.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 20

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Almost all older ganes were routed at an arcade or other location at one point or another.

It looks pretty decent from what I can see.
I'm no expert on WWFRR so I may be missing some common wear points, but all I notice are the scoop holes.
Check if Cliffys makes protectors for those. They would hide the visible wear and prevent against more.

Other than that, the game just looks like it needs some basic general maintenance.

Clean the playfield really well with some. Novus 2, trying to get into all the tight spaces and don't forget the ball trough. Then give it a good wax and maybe replace those rubbers.

You can also get Cp100 at starburst (Playdium Store) and it does a great job of cleaning up residue on flipper bats and other parts.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Rhino

Rhino

Almost all older ganes were routed at an arcade or other location at one point or another.

It looks pretty decent from what I can see.
I'm no expert on WWFRR so I may be missing some common wear points, but all I notice are the scoop holes.
Check if Cliffys makes protectors for those. They would hide the visible wear and prevent against more.

Other than that, the game just looks like it needs some basic general maintenance.

Clean the playfield really well with some. Novus 2, trying to get into all the tight spaces and don't forget the ball trough. Then give it a good wax and maybe replace those rubbers.

You can also get Cp100 at starburst (Playdium Store) and it does a great job of cleaning up residue on flipper bats and other parts.

Hope that helps.
Thank you Drano - really appreciate all the helpful suggestions! I have contacted Cliffy and he has the scoop protectors : )
Something easy for me to install ? Do you have a recommended local technician ? I'm in Burlington.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
If it's already playing well, then that's a good start. Are all the switches working? Generally, these games are pretty good at telling you when something isn't registering (credit dot, and a "check switch X" in the test report), but you could also just leave it as-is and never notice. I know I've played a WWFRR that had a flaky orbit switch, which meant you couldn't get the multiball going properly (other than the mercy MB on ball 3). Admittedly though, some of that comes with familiarity with the games, and how things are "supposed" to work, and I only knew that because I'd played another copy of the game that worked differently.

Otherwise, as long as you can make all the shots, your flippers are probably OK, but if they're feeling sluggish then a rebuild kit could be a good idea. I think the left ramp shot on that game can reject shots if the flippers aren't strong enough, which is probably the first sign that something needs adjustment. If the game angle is OK, and the coils are to spec, then replacing or rebuilding the flipper mechs is another good way to reinvigorate the game.

Installing the cliffy protectors should be reasonably simple. You should be able to do it from the top of the PF, but worst case you need to disconnect the scoop, install the cliffy, and replace. Probably a 15 minute job at most.

Good luck!

Rhino

If it's already playing well, then that's a good start. Are all the switches working? Generally, these games are pretty good at telling you when something isn't registering (credit dot, and a "check switch X" in the test report), but you could also just leave it as-is and never notice. I know I've played a WWFRR that had a flaky orbit switch, which meant you couldn't get the multiball going properly (other than the mercy MB on ball 3). Admittedly though, some of that comes with familiarity with the games, and how things are "supposed" to work, and I only knew that because I'd played another copy of the game that worked differently.

Otherwise, as long as you can make all the shots, your flippers are probably OK, but if they're feeling sluggish then a rebuild kit could be a good idea. I think the left ramp shot on that game can reject shots if the flippers aren't strong enough, which is probably the first sign that something needs adjustment. If the game angle is OK, and the coils are to spec, then replacing or rebuilding the flipper mechs is another good way to reinvigorate the game.

Installing the cliffy protectors should be reasonably simple. You should be able to do it from the top of the PF, but worst case you need to disconnect the scoop, install the cliffy, and replace. Probably a 15 minute job at most.

Good luck!
Thank you Chris! Really insightful and helpful pointers. This is the first time I've posted in a forum and I am really impressed at the helpfulness of the Pin community here.
I think I will get the flippers rebuilt and redo all the rubbers (I heard white is better than black?)
Thanks again.

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
Thank you Chris! Really insightful and helpful pointers. This is the first time I've posted in a forum and I am really impressed at the helpfulness of the Pin community here.
I think I will get the flippers rebuilt and redo all the rubbers (I heard white is better than black?)
Thanks again.
White and black play slightly differently, but not majorly depending on the game.

I have no experience with wwfrr, but on some games I have both owned and played elsewhere, the rubber change was more aesthetically pleasing than it was game changing.

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON

I'll second the notion. Strong flippers are important to this game playing well. You can say that about many games but this game's left ramp shot will frustrate you if the flippers are weak. A friend had this game, cleaned it up very nicely, new rubbers, installed extra lighting (below the lower flippers under the arch) etc. It looked fantastic but played like a dog - until he rebuilt the flippers. Night and day.

It's a fun game. Enjoy!

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
White and black play slightly differently, but not majorly depending on the game.

I think the difference between white and black is more the difference between new and old rubber. In theory, I think the white rubber is supposed to have more bounce, but realistically, what happens is that people will re-rubber a game in white, and notice that it's much more lively, which has everything to do with the fact that it's brand new rubber. Most people (myself included) seem to have settled on white + red for the flippers, but I'm not going out of the way on a new game to change everything out (e.g. my Ghostbusters is still on factory black, and playing just fine).

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
I think the difference between white and black is more the difference between new and old rubber. In theory, I think the white rubber is supposed to have more bounce, but realistically, what happens is that people will re-rubber a game in white, and notice that it's much more lively, which has everything to do with the fact that it's brand new rubber. Most people (myself included) seem to have settled on white + red for the flippers, but I'm not going out of the way on a new game to change everything out (e.g. my Ghostbusters is still on factory black, and playing just fine).
I did rubbers on two games at once. One white and one black. The white rubber is much softer to the touch. So there are inherent differences. The truth to rubber making a game different would be silicone. Like superbands and Titan products (others as well)

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
The durometer between white and black rubber is the reason games play differently with each installed. Sure having brand new fresh rubber on a game will change the dynamics regardless of colour, but white rubber is absolutely more lively than black due to the durometer rating.

I would also suggest red flipper rings as well.

D

Rhino

The durometer between white and black rubber is the reason games play differently with each installed. Sure having brand new fresh rubber on a game will change the dynamics regardless of colour, but white rubber is absolutely more lively than black due to the durometer rating.

I would also suggest red flipper rings as well.

D
Is it true that black rubber leaves the pf with more residue and makes it dirtier?

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Is it true that black rubber leaves the pf with more residue and makes it dirtier?

Absolutely. As the black rubber breaks down it has to go somewhere. That's another reason I like white rubber, as it "tells you" when the game needs to be wiped down. :)

D

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
I've always swapped out all black rubber for white rubber as soon as I get a game. For me it's just to keep it clean. As mentioned the black just leave too much junk for my liking. I would suggest you try to find a good member close to you and invite them over to take a look/play a few games. They will likely be able to tell you what could/should be done. Maybe the flippers don't need to be rebuilt, maybe it's playing just fine the way it is. Some things are also super obvious to people who are used to playing pins that might not be obvious to someone new. Things like missing rubber, loose posts, weak bumpers/flippers, switches that aren't registering properly or consistently. A lot of these things are super easy fixes/improvements that make a world of difference for gameplay. I'm sure there is someone local who wouldn't mind taking a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhino

Thanks Bstock - what you said make perfect sense - you don't know what you don't know , right! I will however definitely get the rubbers switched over to white as I won't be able to stand a dirty playing field. Would like to get a local Burlington area member to play a few games.
Thanks again everyone, really great responses and super helpful for a new comer like me.
About to purchase another machine , I just love it so much.