• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

WTB Gottlieb Pioneer Parts

Blackpin

Nov 30, 2015
Scarborough, Ontario
I need a few parts for my Pioneer. I bought it and noticed later somethings were missing and broken. In the light box there is a relay with two plugs picture with the part circled attached. A set of plastics would be nice too.
Thanks James
d14527c190eba015bebcb84c56be6075.jpg

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
It's the match relay unit in the above picture. Do playfield features for Pioneer also rely on it? Otherwise, you could probably live without it. The Jones plugs for this unit saw many different sizes (ie number of pins)...maybe follow up with number of pins on each plug.

Good luck in your search!

singlezero

Jul 10, 2014
Orillia ontario
it isn't uncommon for games to have their match relay missing. I don't know why that is, maybe operators took them out to take away the occasional free play..i don't know. as time has progressed they become a sought after commodity for ems because people like yourself are looking for them. I do know some match relays affect scoring and advance bonuses.. not sure if that will do that in the pioneer. I have seen a post or two of people making their own match relays. I guess test the scoring for the game and if its all functional don't be that concerned about it.

As for plastics, I just bought a set for my spirit of 76 from pbr 57.15 USD http://pbresource.com/pfplayf.htm
youre welcome to my existing ones however im pretty sure the ones I have broken.. the center, and the two above the drop target banks are probably the ones that are broken on your machine as well

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
it isn't uncommon for games to have their match relay missing. I don't know why that is, maybe operators took them out to take away the occasional free play..i don't know.

As far as I can tell, a lot of operators cannibalized the AX match relay to replace a worn out/non-functioning relay on the playfield. As an example, a PF spinner uses same relay as the match (GTB Buccaneer, and others) and since the spinner relay sees a lot of use, it's prone to heavy wear and operational problems. A quick swap with the match AX and it solves the problem...and you can bet a lot of those match units didn't get replaced...

Blackpin

Nov 30, 2015
Scarborough, Ontario
Thank you for the response this is great information. I have been trying to troubleshoot this machine but stopped once I noticed the part missing thinking it must be needed for proper functioning. I will continue now and hopefully it works.

You are correct those are the ones that are broken... Good call.

Thanks so much for the info, what a great group of pinball people on this forum.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Thank you for the response this is great information. I have been trying to troubleshoot this machine but stopped once I noticed the part missing thinking it must be needed for proper functioning. I will continue now and hopefully it works.

You are correct those are the ones that are broken... Good call.

You should be good to go without one in the match position. If the game is destined for home use, I don't think it's really necessary. If you are curious and have a schematic, check to see if the playfield "(blank)X" relay has yellow letter stickers that identify it as being a former match relay...

Time to order from Steve Young for a brand new set of plastics according to singlezero! PBResource's business practices are ancient (no credit cards or Paypal!) but the service is top notch.