• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

GNR $5 Budget Topper

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
If my GNR came with an original topper I would probably cash it in on ebay for the ridiculous amount of money it gets and it won't clear my ceiling anyways :lol:
The idea for this topper I've had in my head since March when I committed to a GNR+TOM package deal I couldn't refuse from my buddy down the street Elliot. Deep down inside I knew he just wanted me to buy both his games so he could still play them anytime he wanted and have the funds to buy WOZ :)

Anyways, I hit up Dollarama on my way home from work yesterday and got these two rose stems for $1.00/each and toy guns were $1.50/each = $5.00 :mrgreen:

7308025892_ea13aecbce_c.jpg

I couldn't help myself and had some fun with the gun and shot up Axl the douchenozzle for not wanting any part of this pinball and being impossible to work with during the sound recording sessions according to an interview I read over on the gameroomblog.com --> http://gameroomblog.com/guides/the-maki ... ll-machine

7308024828_20111f2299_c.jpg

I had to figure out a way to make the guns stand securely without having screwing anything down to the head. My other friend Adriano had CNC'd me some button inserts for my P2K PinMAME donor cab and were too big. Totally my fault and what was that saying again? Measure twice and cut once? Well good thing I didn't throw them out and they worked perfectly for the guns. I wanted the guns standing up right but it wouldn't clear the ceiling so had to settle for having them angled downwards.

7308022550_07acec0744_c.jpg

7308021428_a9d0de839f_c.jpg

Next up was integrating the roses with the guns and basically wanted to replicate the artwork on the sides of the cab.

7308019444_e80ab6ecfb_c.jpg

7308018512_da7f922333_c.jpg

Final step is integrating it into the game and adding some lights or LEDs in this case to tie into the game's flashers in the backbox. If this was more of a permanent mod or addition like adding a spot light on the playfield I would normally just tap and solder onto an existing bulb socket. I opted to use gator clips so it can be removed easily or I can change it to whatever flasher I'd like in the backbox in the future. I didn't have any #906 bulb sockets so I soldered the wires directly onto the bulb and wrapped with some electrical tape. Did a quick test with a 12V power supply and we are good to go for all 3 wired LED flashers.

7308017314_7386bf8a07_c.jpg

7308014638_5588a91de2_c.jpg

7308013296_a2c85c4e04_c.jpg

I had to remove a few staples holding the mesh to feed the wires into the head and I covered the middle white LED flasher with an extra clear dome I had from a previous project. I tied the middle flasher to go off during ball launch and for the two outside orange LED flashers I just clipped to some random flashers.

7308012496_4f9dd5cfbf_c.jpg

7308011868_f635094022_c.jpg

After some testing I might the orange ones into the flashers which go off with the pop bumpers or have them on all the time with the GI to make the roses glow, it was 2am when I shot this video and DE games are significantly louder compared to B/W games. Last thing I wanted to do was wake up my daughter or have my wife come down and give me hell for playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... yN2C2S6UHc

One other mod that I knew I had to do when I got this game was add the McFarlane Slash doll by the pop bumper area. I had my buddy next door order it for me from ebay for $85 shipped and it arrived earlier this week. He was bustin' my balls and said "You spent $85 on that?" followed by "You do realize you are turning 34 soon and still playing with dolls?" :lol:

7286937316_47ec7f1706.jpg

Anyways, this one was an easy mod... sort of until I realized unlike my other games I can't lift and lock the play field because of my low ceiling! :FP: Good thing that day my wife's cousin was over so I had him help me out.

7286865378_bac31a348d_c.jpg

Securing Slash was as simple as removing the right red plastic, drilling a small hole to thread a screw into one of the legs. I used some double sided foam tape and put the bigger amp above the snake pit and smaller amp I just stuck above the wire form in the shooter lane.

7215884762_903c0a212a_c.jpg

7215885798_386c0df961_c.jpg

Something didn't look right and realized the area where Slash wasn't lit very well from the front so I added a spot light and tied it into the GI.

7286863546_73810ece9d_c.jpg

Anyways hope you enjoyed reading and seeing these pics, any questions feel free to ask.

-Mike

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
This topper is awesome for the price Mike paid for it. Now that this GNR is at my house, as soon as I shuffle it to it's final resting place, I will re-install.
Having a Todd McFarlane Slash inside the game is tres kewl as well. Thanks Mike for all the work you put into this machine. I love it. It's never leaving. :D

Aerostarz

Nov 19, 2012
Whitby
www.flickr.com
WARLOCK said:
This topper is awesome for the price Mike paid for it. Now that this GNR is at my house, as soon as I shuffle it to it's final resting place, I will re-install.
Having a Todd McFarlane Slash inside the game is tres kewl as well. Thanks Mike for all the work you put into this machine. I love it. It's never leaving. :D
Awesome Mod and great game! GnR is on my list also. But first.. need a Judge Dredd!