• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Fun To Play Factor

Rockin

Jan 19, 2016
Caledon ON
What games from late 70's to mid 80's have that basic fun to play factor. Games that when you have a non pinball crowd over, they gravitate to and just have fun playing. Games that are fun with some challenge, but newbies can get decent ball times on and enjoy.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Of the games I've owned or played enough of to make a judgement, I would say Bally EIGHT BALL and Williams HIGH SPEED fall into the time-frame you described. Both are fun for noobs but still have some challenge. Eight Ball is quite a bit more challenging IMO though.

If you're stretching to mid/late 70's that also puts you in classic wedgehead territory. Almost any classic single player Gottlieb from that era is just a huge draw for newcomers and veterans alike. Some are better than others of course.... but drop targets are always a big hit. Games like Volley or any of the El Dorado+variants. I also have some system 1 GTBs. Games like Joker Poker and Countdown. Lots of drops, easy to grasp, beautiful art. They play like EMs but have some better features due to them being early solid state pins.

There's a huge amount of great titles in that stretch of time. These are just some that I have and enjoy.

CJBob

Nov 24, 2014
Mississauga
..newbies can get decent ball times on and enjoy.

...I would say Bally EIGHT BALL...fun for noobs but still have some challenge.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagreed that Eight Ball is fun for newbies or anyone beyond the best players. Watching the ball drain over and over is hardly a good time.

I love the look of the game and the simplicity will attract those who are intimidated by the options on many of the newer machines, but the game play is absolutely the worst. I might enjoy it more if I was a better player, but from the rating at ipdb.org I'm hardly alone.

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
Shoot for a multiball Williams sys 11. High Speed, F14, etc.
Lots of fun and easy to move later when you may want to upgrade.
My HS was error free from day 1. Great solid game.
Didn't fit through my doorways without taking the door off.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I'm going to have to respectfully disagreed that Eight Ball is fun for newbies or anyone beyond the best players. Watching the ball drain over and over is hardly a good time.

I love the look of the game and the simplicity will attract those who are intimidated by the options on many of the newer machines, but the game play is absolutely the worst. I might enjoy it more if I was a better player, but from the rating at ipdb.org I'm hardly alone.

We'll... I did say it was quite a bit more challenging ;)

It can be a very punishing game with that big open left drain.... which is why it's so critical to hit the Eight Ball target right away and light the kickback for ball save.

As long as you do that and you know when to nudge, it doesn't have to be a hard game. Lots of noobs who come over do seem to enjoy it though. It kicks your butt and makes you wanna come back again and again to beat it.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Difference is that when you are playing with the guys that post here regularly, we help others "play" tough games.
Explaining the rules and "nudging" is key on a game like 8 Ball. I think Drano and I owned 4-5 EBD Deluxe examples between us? All gone and only 2 x 8 Ball's remain.
(Drano found all of them) My point is this. We traded them for 8 Ball. Very tough game. It has "legs" for miles. So does High Speed.
But, for HS, I bought and sold 3 at least and (currently building a 4th from scratch - I will sell the moment completed) each to his own.

Many of us here who post regularly, hype pins we "love". Not to sell or "inflate" price but to show and indicate that we really enjoy and desire them.
Everyone is generally at a different stage (at any given moment) in buy/sell/collecting pinball machines mode and "time changes" all things.

That answers not much for your "real" question. For that, I ask this: Late 70's EM's or SS's? Early 80's pins made by any particular manufacturer?

Last edited:

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Volley is my fav. late 70's EM. Space Shuttle is my fav. mid 80's SS. Indiana Jones is my fav. mid 90's DMD. Don't tell STTNG that...
I think many people would consider these pins harder to play and not as "fun" though. They are tough, but again, have legs for miles.

Gladiators, Firepower II, Goldball, Proffessional, (8 Ball retheme) Phoenix and Orbitor 1 are all on deck to sell next from Bluffs Pinball.

Rockin

Jan 19, 2016
Caledon ON
That answers not much for your "real" question. For that, I ask this: Late 70's EM's or SS's? Early 80's pins made by any particular manufacturer?[/QUOTE]

Two of the machines that I remember playing a lot are Amazing Spiderman, Gottlieb 1980 SS, and Firepower, Williams 1980 SS. So for me I would say Bally, Williams, or Gottlieb SS.
The real reason for the question is, my wife literally had never played until about 3 weeks ago when I brought home my first machine, (BMHouze's Checkpoint) she is enjoying it more than expected, which is great, but I'm worried her short ball times will turn her off once the novelty wears off. I'm not shopping right away, but I'm wondering what would be a good machine to give her longer ball times, and also for me, from my prime playing days, which are roughly from 1977 to 1983.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Being a repair tech if I may toss my $0.02 into this convo... Stay away from the Gottlieb Sys1 and Sys80 era of games for your first and or second pin (and maybe any pin depending on your interests). Unless you are well versed in repair, these games will be your worst nightmare.

D

Rockin

Jan 19, 2016
Caledon ON
Being a repair tech if I may toss my $0.02 into this convo... Stay away from the Gottlieb Sys1 and Sys80 era of games for your first and or second pin (and maybe any pin depending on your interests). Unless you are well versed in repair, these games will be your worst nightmare.

D

Thanks for the advice. At this stage, with my limited repair knowledge, I will stay away from those games.
Just to hopefully clarify, I'm not set on either SS or EM (I'm guessing Gottlieb EMs are okay), or a specific manufacturer, just something in that general timeframe with good playability for a beginner.

quarter grabber

May 29, 2013
Ottawa
For the mid 80s I really enjoy Grand Lizard and I really miss mine. Sell it back to me Drano :)

For the 70s probably the original Fireball EM.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Pretty sure the 4-5 Grand Lizard pins that Drano collected (and I had several of) are all gone now.
I have 1 left and she needs to be fully restored. Not something that is sale-able currently. Great game.

Reactions: quarter grabber

quarter grabber

May 29, 2013
Ottawa
Pretty sure the 4-5 Grand Lizard pins that Drano collected (and I had several of) are all gone now.
I have 1 left and she needs to be fully restored. Not something that is sale-able currently. Great game.
Awe I was suppose to have first buy backs. Oh well, many more fish in the sea :)

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Awe I was suppose to have first buy backs. Oh well, many more fish in the sea :)

You did. It was a while back now but I swear I shot you a text or a PM saying I wasn't keeping it for much longer; maybe both.
I didn't get a reply for some time if I recall correctly so I passed it along to a local friend. It's still in a safe place though :)

quarter grabber

May 29, 2013
Ottawa
You did. It was a while back now but I swear I shot you a text or a PM saying I wasn't keeping it for much longer; maybe both.
I didn't get a reply for some time if I recall correctly so I passed it along to a local friend. It's still in a safe place though :)

You're probably right. I'm getting older and.my memory isn't the best anymore. Glad it's still safe, I want it back one day:)