• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Full throttle pinball

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
REVOLUTION said:
very interesting design. The flipper mech is a great idea

82z.jpg

83z.jpg

84z.jpg

71z.jpg

Modular playfield mechanisms like flippers, slings and pop bumpers that can be easily removed and worked on outside of a the game on a workbench. This game looks to be shaping up very nicely and can't wait to see the final finished product.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Making the whole flipper mech disconnectable like that is a great idea. I thought that using breakout-style connectors on flippers was a bad idea though-wouldn't they be much more liable to coming disconnected through vibration? Otherwise wouldn't you be much more likely to see either spade type connectors or molexes instead of soldered connections? Having that big a hole in the PF seems strange though-I'd be worried about getting a ball stuck in there while a flipper is up, although dropping the flipper would probably knock it out. Doesn't seem like it'd be that big an issue to remove the bat from the bottom and then take the whole mech off to replace the coil etc.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Chris Bardon said:
Making the whole flipper mech disconnectable like that is a great idea. I thought that using breakout-style connectors on flippers was a bad idea though-wouldn't they be much more liable to coming disconnected through vibration? Otherwise wouldn't you be much more likely to see either spade type connectors or molexes instead of soldered connections? Having that big a hole in the PF seems strange though-I'd be worried about getting a ball stuck in there while a flipper is up, although dropping the flipper would probably knock it out. Doesn't seem like it'd be that big an issue to remove the bat from the bottom and then take the whole mech off to replace the coil etc.

I think soldered on wires to the coils are much better then using quick disconnects which can come lose due to vibration. Even soldered on wires could break lose too if there is a poor connection to the lugs. There are things you can do to improve or lessen the chances of this happening such as making sure when you install or re-install the coil you don't place the lug side closest to the coil stop since that is where most of the vibration occurs.

31262-i.jpg

Molex connectors are not so bad and to do them properly on the flipper coil I would think you would solder in a short wire to each coil lug and then crimp into a molex connector so that it is far away from the coil. Also molex connectors are usually pretty tight fit and some even have a snap in clip to hold together.

If you look at the video there looks to be some sort of grey insert under the flipper bats so doubt the ball would get stuck there.