• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Do licensed pins do better than original themes?

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
It's hard to tell, if you ask me. Stern was the only game in town for so long and their only making licensed games. Were going to have to wait for some of the newer manufactures to get their games out in the open

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
This is an interesting topic. I think it depends on who the target market is at a particular time. There was a time when pinball machines were the attraction. People would go to the arcade just to play pinball machines and other arcade attractions. They knew what they were doing, they wanted to get high scores and replays and extra balls. The left their homes with an intention to drop some money into a pinball machine. At times like this I don't think that licensed themes are nearly as important as gameplay/rulesets.

When Bally/Williams shut down and Stern was the only kid on the block times were very different. I think for the last 10+ years (or more?) the most common place to find a pinball machine on location in Ontario would be at a movie theatre. These are locations that people(mostly kids) were going already, and just needed something to do to kill some time. In situations like this, I think licenses themes are king. Kids are going to see Spiderman or Batman on the big screen and see a fancy flashing box with that theme painted all over it and think it looks really cool, so they drop a couple of tokens in it. Generally these are people who know absolutely NOTHING about pinball, replays, extra balls etc. I think this is very obvious when you look at the condition most of these games are maintained to. The avid player doesn't want to play a game with broken features/weak flippers.

We're certainly seeing a change in times now. Gary Stern never even considered collectors as one of the legs on his "sales stool" until only recently. Collectors are now a big chunk of the market, and the avid player is making a comeback. When it comes to these types, licensed themes aren't as important, which is why we're starting to see some unlicensed themes popping up.

The bottom line is that I think we'll continue to see mostly licensed themes. They appeal to the masses. And as a blanket statement, a lot of collectors don't care about the theme (e.g. BSD, JM, TS) and it won't hurt sales if the game is good. I know personally I would never purchase any ACDC or Metallica collectable material, or t shirts, but I would have no problem having those games in my home because they are fantastic pinball machines.

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
bstock said:
These are locations that people(mostly kids) were going already, and just needed something to do to kill some time. In situations like this, I think licenses themes are king. Kids are going to see Spiderman or Batman on the big screen and see a fancy flashing box with that theme painted all over it and think it looks really cool, so they drop a couple of tokens in it. Generally these are people who know absolutely NOTHING about pinball, replays, extra balls etc.

This is so true. I've seen many kids at wacky wing swipe their token card into the game. Then look at the machine like a deer in headlights. Seriously, they can't find the start button. They expect to swipe their card and have the game to begin automatically.

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Luckydogg420 said:
bstock said:
These are locations that people(mostly kids) were going already, and just needed something to do to kill some time. In situations like this, I think licenses themes are king. Kids are going to see Spiderman or Batman on the big screen and see a fancy flashing box with that theme painted all over it and think it looks really cool, so they drop a couple of tokens in it. Generally these are people who know absolutely NOTHING about pinball, replays, extra balls etc.

This is so true. I've seen many kids at wacky wing swipe their token card into the game. Then look at the machine like a deer in headlights. Seriously, they can't find the start button. They expect to swipe their card and have the game to begin automatically.

The worst part is I think they expect to swipe their card and have it just spit out tokens... I've watched the same thing happen. Not only do they have no understanding of the game, they often have very little interest in it at all...

Fifty

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
bstock said:
The worst part is I think they expect to swipe their card and have it just spit out tokens... I've watched the same thing happen. Not only do they have no understanding of the game, they often have very little interest in it at all...
This is so true. The last time I played I was at the theatre. I swiped my card and played a couple games. A little fat kid came up and started watching me so I gave him the final game. His eyes went big and he put his chubby hands over the flipper buttons. I had to show him where the START button was. I started up the game and he started flipping like a mad man. So I showed him where the balls came out and how to use the plunger. I explained to him that the balls were his lives and that he got three of them. He drained the ball, but didn't know what that meant so I explained that to him also. The kid wasn't very old. Maybe 10 or 11. I left him alone after that so that people didn't think I was a paedophile. I saw him walk away a few minutes later so I went back to the pin to play some more. I looked down at the machine and there was a ball sitting in the plunger lane.

I'm glad I finally have a pin of my own at home. If only to teach my kids what they are. My son came up to me the other day (he's 5) and said, "Dad are you going to work on the flippers for your pinball tonight?" to which I replied yes. "Cool!" he said. My damn heart melted. Stupid kids. :)