• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

DMD Buzz

Golden Graham

Nov 19, 2012
Essex, Ontario
Does anyone know why a DMD makes that all familiar "buzzing noise"? It seems like an electrical pulse? I'm sure you have heard it on older games. Does installing a colour DMD stop that sound?
Thanks

MrMikeman

Nov 25, 2019
Ottawa
Does anyone know why a DMD makes that all familiar "buzzing noise"? It seems like an electrical pulse? I'm sure you have heard it on older games. Does installing a colour DMD stop that sound?
Thanks
Normal buzz From the high voltages used to operate it. Intensifies with age. Failing ones are pretty loud before they die.

ColorDMD is an LCD panel. No sound whatsoever.

pinballjah

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Used DMDs can be had for $80-$100. Likely the easiest solution. Or if you don't want to spend the money on a COLORDMD, pick up a PIN2DMD from Dino for half the price. Then you also get color.

MrMikeman

Nov 25, 2019
Ottawa
Used DMDs can be had for $80-$100. Likely the easiest solution. Or if you don't want to spend the money on a COLORDMD, pick up a PIN2DMD from Dino for half the price. Then you also get color.
color support depends on the game.

Fleetwood mIkea

Sep 13, 2017
Milton
Cheap and quick option- I have used an old stern LED DMD in older B/W games instead of the plasma. Totally silent and no high voltage to worry about, just need to fab up a connector. Of course then it’s red and not orange, but should suffice until you can grab a colour DMD or Pin2DMD from Dino (best option!)

roar

Oct 22, 2015
Waterdown
Reactions: Dino Z.