• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Did you say BASS???

purpledrillmonkey

Feb 19, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Well, turns out the "16AWG" speaker wire I had, that came from a 16AWG car subwoofer kit, that actually says "16AWG" all over the casing of the wire, was actually more like 22-20 AWG. I measured with a caliper after checking out some ACTUAL 16 AWG wire and buying it after visually seeing a massive difference.

With some proper 16 AWG its way better. I'm still surprised how high the sub has to go to get LOUD bass, but that's typically a byproduct of using high level inputs. I doubt Sterns amp circuit is built to enhance bass at all.

ANyway, with the pin volume at 40-50, its easy to get the bass too loud now. I set it so when the pin volume is around 30, its set to just fill in nice bass for playing when other people aren't interested in hearing much. But turn it up to 40-50 and its bone cracking :)

I might pick up a line output converter for giggles to see how it compares, but this is pretty good for now. The double kick drumming when you rip on the spinner of the premium is unreal, as are the sounds of coffin MB.

Thanks for the help guys.

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
I'd say my wh20 with the Polk sounds comparable to Menace's with the flipper fidelity. But my ears suck (in ither words, I'm no audiophile - I can't hear the difference between a really high end set of towers and my 20 yr old Pioneers.)