• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Design, Build, Play - Collaborators wanted - London

Markinc

Jan 6, 2013
London
Hi Everyone,

I've been eagerly watching the progress of the WOZ machine over the past year and also what the SkitB guys are doing with their Predator game. It's got me buzzing with possibilities for new games.

I started chatting with Lin (linscustompins.com) and suggested the Nightmare Before Christmas theme. He's started in on the design and layout. Now I want to get my hands dirty and start playing with a P-Roc and some components myself.

I'm in London and was wondering if there's any interest in collaborating on designing and building a machine? I've got years of programming experience and a decent electrical background. Handy with tools. Basement space to work in.

Let me know if anyone's interested.

Mark
(Edit) Theme and hardware is not set in stone. Once there are some interested persons, discussions will commence.

Monkeybug

Nov 14, 2012
Stouffville, ON
Sounds like an interesting project. I have been batting around the idea of working with the P-roc as well (even though its a bit pricey).

I also just came across this alternative, for older games... http://openpinballproject.wordpress.com/

I always thought it would be best to stay away from licensed themes unless you like dealing with lawyers (or you are only making a couple of games).

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
If you ever get to a point where you are looking for a rule set for the machine, I'd be more then happy to offer up some ideas.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Monkey bug and I have been tossing lots if ideas around for some time about this.... theme, era of game, layout, features, rules etc...

Certainly enough talent between the lot of us, only thing we've identified for sure is a time issue... or lackthereof. But I'd like to be involved with a custom project at some point.

D

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
I've been thinking about doing this for a while too, but time is definitely the biggest issue here. I can barely keep up with maintaining and playing the games I already have, let alone designing one from scratch. Still, it's a really cool project, and my wife is actually just as interested in doing one as I am. We're both Engineers (I'm Software, she's Mechanical), so coming at it from different ends obviously.

Have you ever thought of designing in Visual Pinball/Future Pinball first? I have to wonder whether that's a good way to try out ideas before getting to the whitewood stage. Also, I find it interesting that a lot of games seem to start with layout first, and then add rules afterwards (like the bioshock machine that's being built). This seems a little backwards to me-I can't imagine coming up with a design and not having an idea of how things are going to play into the game, or having at least a few ways to use each component in mind.

Markinc

Jan 6, 2013
London
Chris Bardon said:
I
Have you ever thought of designing in Visual Pinball/Future Pinball first? I have to wonder whether that's a good way to try out ideas before getting to the whitewood stage. Also, I find it interesting that a lot of games seem to start with layout first, and then add rules afterwards (like the bioshock machine that's being built). This seems a little backwards to me-I can't imagine coming up with a design and not having an idea of how things are going to play into the game, or having at least a few ways to use each component in mind.

I agree, the layout and rules have to be developed in conjunction with a theme. They all inform each other.

I downloaded the visual pinball stuff along with the proc stuff (python program, pyproc stuff, usb drivers, etc.)
Haven't gotten further than loading up the Judge Dredd sample game. It flashes lights, cycles the DMD display but locks up on game start. Some sleuthing to do.

Markinc

Jan 6, 2013
London
Some progress to report:

Designing stage is in full swing. Using future pinball for now - figuring out layout/shots/modes/etc.

Download the latest version here: http://www.incitti.com/pinball/nightmare

Would love to hear some feedback.

Hope to have this stage stable in a few weeks and ready to transfer to a white wood.

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
I have some pretty handy woodworking skills, and a big garage with lots of tools.

If you need a hand with cabinet work, let me know

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Saw the vid a couple weeks ago and was amazed at what you've accomplished in such a short amount of time, and to say I'm impressed is an understatement. Nice work.

D