• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Clearcoating?

Monkeybug

Nov 14, 2012
Stouffville, ON
I need to clearcoat a whitewood (homebrew) playfield. Its mostly to level out the inserts. Does anyone know anyone around the GTA who offers this service? I'd prefer to deal with someone who understands this process on pinball playfields instead of just going to a random shop.

Reactions: Padre

Monkeybug

Nov 14, 2012
Stouffville, ON
tumblr_mj4lfhLZbR1s5746vo1_500.gif

Giving a bump....

Locutus

Feb 1, 2019
Richmond Hill
It seems like the thing to do is strip the playfield and give it to an auto body place. Lots of work, but I bought a TZ that one of the previous owner clear coated, and it really is incredible.

Reactions: Ponzie and Perry L

Perry L

Mar 17, 2016
In the hills Mono
I worked in the auto body industry all my working life from a licensed tech to a body shop manager and there’s different qualities of clear coat. I would pick a high end shop that offers life time warranties on repairs to insurance companies. If the clear coat on your front bumper can take our winter beating on that surface for the life of your car it should do well on your pinball table. Good clear is not cheap but there’s a big difference in the toughness between cheap paint products and high end products. This is of course just my opinion.

Monkeybug

Nov 14, 2012
Stouffville, ON
Thanks for the advice. This doesn't have to last a lifetime since its only a temporary whitewood that I want to seal.

I was actually looking at the SparyMax 2K thread yesterday and might go that route since I don't need anything to fancy.

dr.nybble

Nov 28, 2014
Ottawa
I've used SprayMax2K several times, it works great but ensure you have full personal protective equipment. I usually buy it from Napa Canada (often on sale) but you can even get it on Amazon. The weather may not permit its use depending on your setup (definitely do not spray indoors).

If this is a whitewood you could just use polyurethane.