• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Clearcoating a playfield

sensfreak

Nov 17, 2012
Ottawa
I am buying a playfield that has a signature on top of the clear coat. I will be sending the playfield away to have it further clear coated. My question is when the clear coat is sprayed on, is the playfield sanded first? If yes, is it possible to clear coat it without damaging the signature? By this I mean, sand all areas except for where the signature is located. Sorry for the noob question.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Yes, the playfield needs to be sanded in order for the new clear to have some surface friction to 'bite' to.
Yes, you can avoid the area (to some degree) but it should still get a light scuffing.
Since the signature is above the clear, by doing nothing you would be taking a chance that the clear will not adhere. And, at worst, if it was signed with a sharpie, it will very likely bleed and make a mess of the playfield!!!

Where exactly is the signature? Will a ball roll over it?

sensfreak

Nov 17, 2012
Ottawa
I have been told that it is on top of the clear. I would like to clear coat it again so the playfield and the signature are protected.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Could be risky.
See if you can find out what type of pen was used.

If you decide to move forward, instruct the clearcoat applicator to apply a very fine layer to start and let it dry fully. This may prevent or at least diminish any sharpie bleed.

Now I'm curious.
What game and who's signature???

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Where on the PF is the signature? If it's under the apron it's not as critical to scuff before applying new clear as there is no ball traffic. If the signature is in the field of play, then you're running more risk if you don't scuff it (and if you do, you'll remove the signature).

And as Drano said, if it was signed with a sharpie the clearcoat will ruin the signature anyway as it will make it bleed all over the place.

D

sensfreak

Nov 17, 2012
Ottawa
My understanding is that it was signed with the same type of marker/pen that is used to sign Stern play fields. The signature is in the outlane.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
sensfreak said:
My understanding is that it was signed with the same type of marker/pen that is used to sign Stern play fields. The signature is in the outlane.

There you go!
I just sent you a PM saying the exact same thing :D

Should be fine... just ask your guy to scuff it (even with a scotch brite pad) as close to the edges as he can.
The signature ink itself will not be super smooth and will take the clear very well. Just get as close to it as possible with fine circular motions.
I'd bet he could even take some 800-1000 grit and wet-sand right over the signature lightly without damage... but it would suck if I was wrong :FP:

sensfreak

Nov 17, 2012
Ottawa
I would he sending the playfield to Chris Hutchins. I am just waiting to hear back from him but I thought I would hit up the people her for their opinions at the same time.