• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Cineplex set to expand their in-theatre arcades

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
TORONTO — Movie exhibitor Cineplex Inc. said Wednesday it will soon launch a test program in Toronto that allows moviegoers to pay a premium price for the best seats in the house.

That is, the two rows in the centre of a theatre that are considered the sweet spot for cinephiles.

Chief executive Ellis Jacob also said the company wants to grow its arcade business.

Jacob told shareholders at the company’s annual meeting that gaming “presents a real opportunity” as it looks to grow beyond just movie theatres.

Jacob says Cineplex plans to continue testing the concept with several arcades, called Xscape, located inside its theatres.

The gaming centres feature popular racing games and billiards, and let winners exchange their points for prizes. By the end of the year Cineplex aims to have 16 locations across the country.

Jacob says if the concept proves successful, Cineplex will consider expanding outside movie theatres with either standalone arcades or a sports bar concept.

Recent reports have suggested that Cineplex has partnered with private equity firm Onex Corp. to make an offer for U.S. restaurant and arcade chain Dave and Buster’s.

Source:

http://business.financialpost.com/2014/ ... =b09e-bf4b

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
Redemption games would be cool if the tickets could be used for GOOD prizes. Like nachos, popcorn, movie tix, did I mention nachos.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Now THAT is an interesting idea... especially if they install the redemption kits on the pins. I wonder how complex it'd be to have redemption games feed directly into their cineplex loyalty points system? That way you eliminate tickets, and let people win points that they already have a redemption system in place for.

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Chris Bardon said:
Now THAT is an interesting idea... especially if they install the redemption kits on the pins. I wonder how complex it'd be to have redemption games feed directly into their cineplex loyalty points system? That way you eliminate tickets, and let people win points that they already have a redemption system in place for.

I wouldn't imagine it would be too difficult. The whacky wings in Brantford just loads your "tickets" onto your pay card. I know nothing about the system though so I'm basically just speaking out of my ass but someone should be able to do it :-D

Sent from my Nexus 4

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
That'll be funny if they go that way because then it pretty much is gambling with cash value prizes. I mean, all redemption is, you take away the tickets and the games aren't fun any more, but if they do away with the cheap chinese plastic and let people redeem for movie passes and stuff, they might as well have slots in there :).