• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Cheap Klein magnetic nut driver alternative

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I was checking out Princess Auto's new flyer which starts tomorrow and noticed they will be having this 5pc Metric Magnetic Power Nut Driver set.

8491615.jpg

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/5-pc-sae-magnetic-power-nut-driver-set/A-p8491615e

These can be handy because it can be used in a cordless drill or convert a popular Piqquic multi-tool to magnetic nut drivers.
home-content.png

The Princess Auto set doesn't cover the entire 7 sizes found in the Klein Magnetic nut driver set on Pinball Life but it covers the most common sizes I have used over the years which I have bolded below.

3/16", 1/4", 5/16", 11/32", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2"

The only other advantage of Kleins is they have a 6" hollow shank which helps to remove metal posts like this

detail.jpg

I love my Kleins nut drivers and would not hesitate to buy another set but for those who are just getting into the hobby now and on a budget can probably get by most simple repairs using this set from Princess Auto for 1/10 of the price. With the way our exchange is going a set of Kleins from Pinball Life right now is $79usd ~ $108cdn if you are lucky plus shipping.

Last edited:
Reactions: kvoxx

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Nice! If you get a magnetic extension socket along with this set, you'd have a pretty sweet option for reaching into tight spots and having the ability to quickly change out heads on the fly without opening/closing your drill chuck all the time.

I don't know about those klein "hollow shanks" though.
One of my biggest pet peaves with the expensive Klein set (aside from the tendencey of their magnets to fall apart) is their inability to access really deep nuts. This is especially true with the smaller 1/4"-5/16" drivers, for example. The thin neck just won't let them go over a really long bolt to reach the nut if it's threaded any deeper than about 1/4" down. The bolt always prevents access. Instead, I've had to rely on keeping a 2nd set of cheap nut drivers around (non-magnetic) which have wider collars and are able to slide all the way down to reach nuts that may be as much as 3/4" down the shaft of a bolt.

If you ever tear down a playfield and want to remove a star posts with an extended post and nut, good luck using a Klein for that :(

Last edited:

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Nice! If you get a magnetic extension socket along with this set, you'd have a pretty sweet option for reaching into tight spots and having the ability to quickly change out heads on the fly without opening/closing your drill chuck all the time.

You could get this security bit set from Princess Auto for $9.99 which has a magnetic extension socket. These security bits do come in handy to remove things like shooters on Demolition Man, Shadow, Star Trek Next Gen or even the locking plate on the head sometimes in case you lose the key or don't have an 18V drill with titanium bits handy :p

8583031.jpg

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/33-pc-security-bit-set/A-p8583031e

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
The extension arm on the right is what I use. It fits into any drill and is really great for getting into tight spaces from far away; where my drill won't go. Removing screws around a drop target mech is a great example.

2x-Magnetic-Extension-Socket-Drill-Bit-Holder-1-4.jpg

PS. I use a very low powered lightweight drill for purposes of removing or installing a large amount of fasteners and I adjust the tension setting on the chuck way down to reduce the risk of damage to plastic parts or stripping out wood. You can strip out a whole playfield in no time.

If you are not using a drill, all of these parts will still work with most multi-bit screwdrivers. Just pop out one of the standard driver bits and install this extension arm plus your magentic nut socket. It's a bit wonky due to it being a 3 piece assembly, but great for the added reach when you need it.

Reactions: kvoxx