• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

CAD at .70

CJBob

Nov 24, 2014
Mississauga
I'm trying to stay optimistic, but as the dollar has just dipped below .70 USD I'm going to have to re-think how much money I'm going to spend on this hobby in 2016. Parts are getting really expensive at this rate, let alone machines.

I wasn't collecting the last time the dollar was this low, what advice do the veterans have? Am I making too big a deal out of this?

Perhaps I should be looking on the bright side and take a machine down to Allentown for sale?

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Perhaps I should be looking on the bright side and take a machine down to Allentown for sale?

I anticipate this will be a big year for that. We will witness an exodus of Canadian pins this Spring.

That being said, we'll have to rely on some pretty decent profits just to be able to pay for the trip itself

:picard:

kiwi

Dec 27, 2015
Ontario, Canada
I anticipate this will be a big year for that. We will witness an exodus of Canadian pins this Spring.

That being said, we'll have to rely on some pretty decent profits just to be able to pay for the trip itself

:picard:

I've only been on the "scene" myself a few weeks, but I've already seen there's a lot of "collectors" who are actually just "resellers" looking to make large profits. It will be shame when we loose machines to the US, maybe reversing the trend of when the $CAS was at par and machines were imported.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
It's getting more painful to order parts from the US so I would start coordinating orders from the same vendor with close friends so you can split shipping costs. If you have a common friend that doesn't live far from the Buffalo border it might even be worthwhile to ship to a US address service such as:

http://www.cbiusa.com
http://www.usaddressinc.com

Shipping within the US is so much cheaper then directly into Canada.

Also don't forget to contact Doug Baird at the Starburst Parts department because they order from Marco regularly every month so you can tag along. Normally I send him an email with some part #'s from Marco's site and he gets back to me the same or next day with Canadian landed pricing before tax with their small mark up. You can also order parts from Pinball Resource from them too the same way.

Reactions: WARLOCK

kiwi

Dec 27, 2015
Ontario, Canada
If you have a common friend that doesn't live far from the Buffalo border it might even be worthwhile to ship to a US address service such as:

http://www.cbiusa.com
http://www.usaddressinc.com

Shipping within the US is so much cheaper then directly into Canada.

I've used CBIUSA a few times for things and they are very good. I actually have stuff waiting for me to Pickup when I next go over there next. Its great for when shipping is free or cheap in the USA relative to what it costs to ship to Canada.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Sure, it's great to save on shipping, but the actual cost of the parts themselves is super painful right now... and not likely to get better anytime soon.

I've only been on the "scene" myself a few weeks, but I've already seen there's a lot of "collectors" who are actually just "resellers" looking to make large profits. It will be shame when we loose machines to the US, maybe reversing the trend of when the $CAS was at par and machines were imported.

This is an old topic of debate... but suffice it to say that pinball was (and still is) a business. This was the case long before it became a hobby and so there will always be people who are in for profit. And yeah, some of them may themselves be collectors of sorts, but business first. Just a reality that must be accepted. There's nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned. As long as it is up front and honest, the market will decide if these guys remain in business or not.

What bothers me more is the hypocrisy of those "collectors" that lament about the pricing in the old days and how we should strive to keep pricing down by selling games for what we have into them (or even less) and ignore inflation and market changes... just to be good citizens. I've noticed those same guys that expect the "buddy pricing" will eventually be the same ones that turn around and quietly sell the game elsewhere for top dollar. It's kind of funny how the hypocrites that complain about pricing are always the first to cash in ;)

I believe in one thing. What I paid for my machine is irrelevant to its value. Pay me what it's worth today. I expect no more or no less.
If someone wants to cash out and wants to do the extra work of doing it in the US for more money, more power to them. It's their property and their time and effort.

That being said, yes, it is a shame to lose games to the US when our market is already very small and certain titles very hard to find.
We can only hope that greed doesn't win out completely. Now... what should I bring down to Allentown this year? :D

Pharoah007

Nov 17, 2012
Ottawa
I've only been on the "scene" myself a few weeks, but I've already seen there's a lot of "collectors" who are actually just "resellers" looking to make large profits.

This hobby is full of pinball pirates. Keep your head up at all times.

Seven

Oct 6, 2015
Prince Edward Island
www.pinballorama.com
I'm keeping my chin up. In the last year I've bought around 20 machines for a future pinball arcade in Vancouver. Half of those machines need some level of work and parts. I'm buying time by doing all the paint and basic things first.

It turned out to be a crap time to do this, but I'm already in. I can only go forward from here. Hopefully the dollar will recover by the time I need to order parts.

Reactions: Aurium

kiwi

Dec 27, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Sure, it's great to save on shipping, but the actual cost of the parts themselves is super painful right now... and not likely to get better anytime soon.
This is an old topic of debate... but suffice it to say that pinball was (and still is) a business.
:
That being said, yes, it is a shame to lose games to the US when our market is already very small and certain titles very hard to find.

ah, thanks for the post. Very valid points.

We can only hope that greed doesn't win out completely. Now... what should I bring down to Allentown this year? :D

So, you'll be declaring your income from your sale of your machine in the US when you come back right ? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

stiffler4444

Nov 20, 2012
Crystal Beach, Ontario
It is what it is. Seriously, the housing market is a great parallel. Am I going to sell my house that I paid $200K for 8 years ago to a 'buddy' for the same? No, I'm going to sell it for market value because I need that money to move into a new house at market value. I appreciate that some in the community are lucky enough to have a close group of friends with deep collections. This allows machines to move around at "equal value" but possibly without the exchange of any $$$. Once you start talking 'sale', you need to be cognizant of market values or you'll be left with your dick in your hand.

Reactions: Hammerhead and luch

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I guess the issue for a lot of us "olde timers" is our collection cost us a fraction of market today, and for most of us we did a lot of the buying and selling back when we first started and the market never saw increases the way we do now. We never had to deal with the crazy inflation, and we all just sold games to everyone for what we paid (cheap) because we could still get games cheap... so now those that have been collecting for so long have a hard time wrapping their head around what market value really is.

D

Slam_Tilt

Nov 20, 2012
Brampton
I think Pinside seriously hurt this hobby when it comes to prices. One person over prices a pin then everybody who owns one starts agreeing, then price jump. Also these days if one person somehow sells a pin way over what its worth it somehow becomes the new price. Its getting really silly.

stiffler4444

Nov 20, 2012
Crystal Beach, Ontario
I think Pinside seriously hurt this hobby when it comes to prices. One person over prices a pin then everybody who owns one starts agreeing, then price jump. Also these days if one person somehow sells a pin way over what its worth it somehow becomes the new price. Its getting really silly.

I agree with that sentiment to a certain degree, but will use my own example to illustrate how this happens. A few years ago I liquidated a number of pins to pursue another project outside of pinball. Of all the pins I sold, BSD is the only one that still haunts me to this day. I sold it for $1500, clearly much less than market value today and probably a bit low even then. So I now know that I will need to replace that BSD permanently one day (soon). Knowing that it won't leave my collection again, I will pay top dollar, possibly even over pay to get it, if it's the right machine. So if I pay, let's say $5K for a BSD, does that make BSD worth $5K? I don't think so, but the next guy will ask $4800 because that's the 'percieved' market based on my purchase. In fact, I fully expect this very thread to start if and when I do 'overpay' for said BSD.
On a side note, anybody with a mint BSD......oh nevermind, another thread for another time.....

CJBob

Nov 24, 2014
Mississauga
I'm sick of losing on the exchange rate with my credit card every time. I just got a BMO USD VISA card. It's $35/year but if you spend $1,000 or more per year the next year is free. I have a USD savings account that I'll pay the card from.

Reactions: stiffler4444

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
So if I pay, let's say $5K for a BSD, does that make BSD worth $5K? I don't think so, but the next guy will ask $4800 because that's the 'percieved' market based on my purchase.

This is a VERY key point!
A couple of years ago I sold a very mint restored TZ with almost every extra you could imagine; not just LEDs and stickers. It sold for $6700 I think. At the time people were gawking at how much a TZ had sold for... but it was fully restored and tastefully done up and improved (I think).
Since that sale, I have seen the asking price of TZ steadily climbing for no good reason other than that "The last one sold for "X" so now I'm going to ask even more for mine" without any thought to the circumstances of the previous sale. It's like all TZ are now worth that much regardless of condition or who the buyer was. Even that very same pin I sold was in fact listed for over $8K a year or so later with little else done to it. The last one I saw listed a week or so ago was $9K!!! And it had a fraction of the work done to it and even had a riveted lockdown bar :confused:

I don't know what sets the market value. I am lost in that regard.
For houses we certainly do look at comparable sales and listing so, maybe this is the way.
For myself, wanting to get a TZ back at some point, I simply have to ask myself if I think it is a $9K game in terms of value to me. The answer is a resounding NO... so I will not own another TZ. To the guy down the street that is a TZ fanatic and willing to pay any price, maybe it is... but we are treating that guy as the rule now and not the exception.

As in the housing market, we the buyers are to blame.
Don't go out and pay $8K for a TZ or $5K for a BSD and they won't continue to be listed for that and more.... but can we really control ourselves in this highly competitive market where supply and demand are so off kilter?

Last edited:
Reactions: WARLOCK and Menace

Slam_Tilt

Nov 20, 2012
Brampton
All I can say is that there was a huge change in prices shortly after Pinside came online. Maybe it is partly do to Pinside getting more members and people just coming across because it was a forum and not RGP newsgroup where it kind of stayed behind the scenes and would never come across it unless you looked very hard. It probably drastically increased supply and demand and quite possible greatly helped in the resurgence of the hobby, the only compliment I can give it. Otherwise it is just a brag and investment site always pushing up prices.

Last edited:

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
JJP / Stern have also had a big impact on market pricing, as it all started to get crazy after WoZ hit the market. If you look back you'll see that after Jack priced WoZ, Stern started raising their prices and came out with the pro/prem/LE model. When the NIB pricing started to creep, the used market followed suit. (and this all probably started in and around the same time as Pinside too) Ahh the Pinside effect.

D

Reactions: WARLOCK and maken