• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Bubble bursting?

websherpa

Feb 10, 2013
Waterdown, ON
Two STTNGs for sale, interests rates about to climb, more household debt than ever before..... is the pinball inflation bubble about to burst? Opinions?

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Yes, and more games than I can begin to mention don't even ever hit for sale online or not offered here, maaca or kijiji. USD$ is a pain though.

STTNG is a tough game to sell at those prices. It is a difficult pin to keep running. I don't have an issue with prices, the market will bear the prices. I have 2 STTNG and both are down. Beyond my paygrade to fix them and I need Menace once he is available to fix both. I'll be patient.

Reactions: Jeff K.

Rascal

Sep 20, 2015
nova scotia, canada
It's all about basic supply and demand. It's summertime and as much as I love playing my pins, I am having a quiet night by the fire in the backyard. Equeals less demand.
But I still see high end and rare pins still getting sold.

Jeff K.

Jun 27, 2013
Toronto
I think the high-end, rare as well as mint restored A-listers will hold their value well- particularly those which won't get re-made.

In terms of Sterns and JJPs, it's unlikely prices on NIB titles are coming down any time soon. The real killer for us Canadians is the exchange rate.

Jeff K.

Jun 27, 2013
Toronto
That's a good point Luch.

Pinball has become an increasingly expensive hobby, particularly for NIB titles. Personally, I don't feel the bubble is going to burst any time soon.

There is plenty of interest for the higher demand games and not a ton of supply out there. Here on PBRev, (in the past month), an IJ, Addams and CP sold almost instantly.

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
At least the pinside title search now has a price listed. It at least gives a good referance starting point.

eg: Alien Poker is listed at 700 usd so me thinking an average one should be 1k cdn is in the ballpark.

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
How much of this bubble is just pinhead speculating on price? How many guys buy a game with the "I'll be able to resell it for the same price or more" state of mine? How many games just get juggling between pinhead at ever inflating prices? How many new people are actually coming into this hobby vs how many current collectors are willing to just pay more for their next title?

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Summer is historically a slow time for pinball sales. I wouldn't read too much into it.

As for those STTNG; maybe they just weren't priced correctly. Maybe that title isn't in particularly high demand at the moment... Who knows?

Things will always fluctuate.
I'm at a stage where I don't really want to invest more money into this hobby and am starting to downsize a bit.
But, there are always new guys coming in... looking to build up a collection.
Until the current generation of 30-50yr olds is done collecting, there will be a market.

I'm actually hoping that, when I turn 60, I'll be able to buy a TZ for what it costs me to buy an EM today :D

Reactions: Rascal

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
As for those STTNG; maybe they just weren't priced correctly. Maybe that title isn't in particularly high demand at the moment... Who knows?

You bring up a good point about STTNG. All franchises go through ebbs and flows. But given the news about Stern's new Star Wars machine, maybe it's taken a little shine off the Trekkie diamond.

singlezero

Jul 10, 2014
Orillia ontario
I don't really know the high end games market . I probably don't know the low end market either but.. I have seen a couple of games go very high recently .. but I have heard they were beyond mint.. those might be the ones spiro was talking about.

The em market sure seems to have sunk. I have a few ive been trying to unload as ive run out of space. it didn't seem like it was a year ago that some were taking a few at a time now .. there seems to be little interest at all. this has little to do with macroeconics of interest and usd ... im not sure what it is but speaking to a couple of others... they have said the same thing. I know my interest in ems is constantly changing .. im sure others is too... but in a different direction