• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Bigbossfan

Aug 22, 2013
Lincoln, NB
Hi to all. Well, almost ready to pull the trigger on my first pin....saw the Avatar LE Chrome for 4300.00 on Kijjiji. As a first pin, do you think it's a good choice? I know I can flip it down the road if I don't care for it, but will it hold that value? Thoughts, opinions, guidance requested, please and thanks.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Avatar is in the Playdium store showroom. I'd try it out first. True of any game though (play before you make a big purchase).

$4300 is very close the the magic level of $5k which a lot of A titles are at, lots of great choices at that level. 'A' titles can be flipped all day long. Avatar is definitely less in demand.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I haven't seen too many CSI pinballs come up for sale, the coin door and right side of the cab look pretty clean and hope the left side matches. There are not too many close up pics of the playfield but doubt there could be that much wear if it was HUO. It's been for sale for at least 6 months if not more and the seller finally dropped it to $3500 last night from his previous asking price of $5000 --> $4600 --> $4200 and at one point he was even looking to trade for a Honda CBR600 sport bike.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell ... Z520068380

Here is a video showing the gameplay
http://vimeo.com/34596818

I think at $3500 for a HUO example is a pretty fair price and might make for a good first pin. If I wasn't out of space I would probably give this title a shot as I only know one other collector in Ottawa who has one and she really enjoys it I heard. Maybe she will chime in and comment on the game play.

Bigbossfan

Aug 22, 2013
Lincoln, NB
Thats why I love this forum...you guys are great. Thanks for the advice. I knew there had to be a reason why it was going so low. Back to the drawing board I guess. I played a LOTR LE the other day, loved it. But it's a little out of my price range, I'd end up breaking the bank, and the wife would end up breaking my neck! LOL

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
What is your budget for your first pin if you don't mind me asking? I get lots of PMs, emails and sometimes texts from collectors who ask me to help them find their game a new home but don't wanna deal with the hassles of selling on kijiji.

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Not sure on the going rate of an Addams family right now but that sounds like it could be around market value as long as its in good shape. Regardless it is a game that will likely keep you happy for a long time and it should be easy to get rid of if you choose to down the road as it is a popular title.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Thats they key with any purchase, whether it's $800 or $8000, pay the going rate, and you won't get burned when it comes time to sell. You don't need to find a super deal, you just need to make sure you didn't overpay way over the market price.

I rationalize the large purchases by the fact that I didn't throw my money away, it's just sitting in pinball, but I can get my money back if needed. After you max out of room, you start trading or swapping, so the cash outlay isn't what it was before.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
That sounds OK for an Addams family, and you should be able to move it later on if you want. It might not be as easy as other A list games (since a lot of collectors tend to get tired of it pretty quickly), but it's still in demand.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
$4200 seem fair for The Addams Family (aka TAF) depending on the condition. I would check the following areas for wear and if any protection such as Cliffy's have been put in place to protector or prevent further wear. Here is the most common wear area found on TAF is the electric chair scoop because it is such a common and repeated shot along with the vault, the swamp and eject.

robschair1.jpg

robsvault2.jpg

robswamp3.JPG

tafprosinstalled5.JPG

You can already see from the pic above there is some wear the Cliffy is not covering and you will probably come across this saying from seller's a lot when looking for a game "A Cliffy will or should cover that" :lol: I also forgot to mention check for wear around the rotating blue bookcase too!

Another common problem with TAF can be see on the very left in the last picture which is the center of the playfield where the magnets for "The Power" and you can wear caused from the past. I would also inspect the inserts in particular on the mansion and again referencing the same pictures you can see what some worn or bad inserts look like too. Check the ramp entrances for cracks as well as plastics too but keep in mind this is a 20+ year old game and has probably seen it's fair share of days being on routed and was very popular back in the day at the arcades.

DSC_7359-Custom.jpg

The next thing I would look over briefly is in the head and check the area where the 3xAA batteries are located for any leaking or if it has been cleaned up recently. It is pretty easy to tell because of the green crud it leaves on the battery leads as well as damaging other near by chips/resistors around it and cause very random behavior. This is correctable and needs to be neutralized/cleaned properly because any traces left can still continue to grow or spread in the future. Most collectors typically change their batteries once a year on their birthday so they don't forget or else you can install a remote battery holder which is mounted off the board and on the side of the head.

wpcscon1.jpg

Look at all the the board for burned connectors and other things which look suspect to hackery. Most of this is correctable and Menace (aka J.Santiago) is baffled at the efforts people with a hack when it was just as easy and sometimes cheaper to just do the repair properly. Hopefully you are local (GTA) and should you or anyone ever need board work repair or diagnostics remember Menace.

I hope I haven't scared you off but this is a big investment and sometimes if the game is a not up to par cosmetically, an electrical basket case or over priced it is just better to walk away. Being new to pins I would try to buy from another collector and do your reference checks by asking around or searching their past post history on here and other local pinball forums. Not every collector in this hobby is an honest one and some look for a quick flip or a newbie with cash in hand and antsy to buy their first game. Take your time and sure you will find the right machine for you. In the meantime, make a few friends and go play their games and perhaps they can even go check out potential games for you too. When in doubt come back here ask questions or post pictures for advice because it never hurts to get other people's opinion either. Good luck!

TwilightZone

Nov 25, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Bigbossfan said:
I am looking at an Addams Family tomorrow for 4200.00. Recommended?

That seems a fair price for a TAF assuming good condition. Hard to know for sure regarding price as prices keep changing.

I agree w/ others on Avatar. Best to avoid that title. It's not a bad game, but it's a hard sell. Later on, you might want a different game. As others have said, as long as you pay market, you can get your money and buy another title. I think the Avatar is fairly priced given it's an LE, but, as shown, it's not super popular so it remains for sale.

I think the CSI at $3,500 is fairly priced and actually a good deal if HUO. The game isn't hugely popular which is the problem. It's a good game and alot of fun, but might not be an easy sell if you need to free up space and cash. On the other hand, if you love the game, then it's not as big an issue. I think it will sell at $3,500....just not sure how long it will take.

Good luck on your first purchase,
Duane

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
If this Addams is in good working order (that another way of stating that vague kijiji statement: "everything works as it should") and you cover all the areas of concern Wong pointed out in the above post, I'd say it is a good deal and you wouldn't have any trouble re-selling it at that price if you discover its not your cup of tea. It is in the wheelhouse of $4000-$4500 I budgeted when I bought mine. I'm sure it is common knowledge, but a lot of these TAFs were beat to hell on location, so wear is a huge issue. Although, there seem to be plenty of repro parts available for the machine as it had a massive production run.

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
If I can offer ANY advice it would be to buy from Forum members first and foremost. It's a tight community, and everyone has a reputation to uphold. 2nd to that, asking here for advice is the right thing to do. :)

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
REVOLUTION said:
It's a tight community, and everyone has a reputation to uphold.

For instance, the guy in REVOLUTION's avatar.
Santiago is our resident game crapper; he will shit inside your game via the coin door. :D

Back on topic: The CSI would be a good buy at $3500. A very low production game that is a blast to play and gaining in popularity recently. I would avoid the Avatar for reasons already mentioned. It is a decent game, but the price is not worth it.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
I've played Avatar extensively, the only change on the LE is the addition of the stupid powerball.

There is a reason that Avatar is nicknamed Avaturd

TwilightZone

Nov 25, 2012
Ottawa, ON
I had access to and played Avatar LE alot when it first came out. I really wanted to like the game. The more I played it, the more I found it "ok". It's not a bad game, but it's not great. When you are talking $4K, you want to make sure you love the game. CSI, for example, is a better game. It's not as deep and the rules not as polished, but it's just plain fun to play.

Cheers,
Duane